Beer Tax Increasing. Again. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Beer Tax Increasing. Again.

BigEvilDoer

So the powers that be have decreed an escalating beer tax in perpetuity coming into effect soon.
We, as Canadians, pay 47% tax on our beer already.
The escalating tax will increase that tax load, every year, never ending.

There's an organized movement to have the tax repealed.
www.axethebeertax.ca

Tax and spend. It's the Liberal way. Of course, they spend mostly on themselves. When the public jobs pay this well, who else are 1.5M government workers going to vote for?

I feel like the article is a tiny bit misleading, as I understand it the tax is currently a fixed amount instead of a percentage and the increases would be indexed to inflation. Not that I am a big fan of the current tax

What's the tax % on gas?

***edit***
according to Google/Petro Can: approximately 35% of the pump price.

I recently got into home brewing and it's ridiculously simple to make your own beer. I'm still new at it, but even my first batch of beer tasted better than the cheap stuff at the beer store. For under $30 in ingredients I can make 5 gallons of beer. A recipe kit is just grain, hops, and yeast. The only additional things you need are tap water, and plain white table sugar for carbonation. All the equipment you need will cost under $100. If you like beer but are poor and/or cheap I highly recommend it. Even if you don't care about money, it's a lot of fun and will allow you to experiment with all kinds of beer.

I recently got into home brewing and it's ridiculously simple to make your own beer. I'm still new at it, but even my first batch of beer tasted better than the cheap stuff at the beer store. For under $30 in ingredients I can make 5 gallons of beer. A recipe kit is just grain, hops, and yeast. The only additional things you need are tap water, and plain white table sugar for carbonation. All the equipment you need will cost under $100. If you like beer but are poor and/or cheap I highly recommend it. Even if you don't care about money, it's a lot of fun and will allow you to experiment with all kinds of beer.
How can sugar carbonate something?

Damn son!

Indirectly, the carbonation is the product of yeast digesting the sugar
I used to make my own C02 systems for fish tanks with live plants. Amazon containers, a rubber grommet, air hose with micro valve fed into the filter, fill the bottle with water, yeast and sugar. Worked great! and about 1/5 the price of a manufactured unit

Also a home brewer. I'm also Diabetic so there are techniques to make low carb beers.

Doing it your self means that not everything tastes like Michelob light... LOL. I can play around with the wort and the hops as I like hoppy IPA's but still low carb.

I was at CES last week and saw this... https://www.picobrew.com/. It's almost like the Keruig of brewing systems. I spent some time sampling and was very impressed.

Price is a little high but if it was around $300 I would consider it. They have pre-made recipes but you can buy your own ingredients from a local brew shop as well

Last edited:
Clem, thanks for that rabbit hole. At $799 its not cheap, but I can see the merits. I haven't home brewed in years , for a variety of reasons, but the Pico system could change that for me.
Yes I know I could brew for $20 and a home depot 5 gal pail, but I'm f'in lazy. I like it.

I've switched to wine and go the one of those make your own places in an industrial area.

We get a box of Merlot or whatever at $55 and it works out to less than $2 a bottle. We don't do the whole bottle your own etc. Just order, they make it and we pay and pick up.

Makes for a good "house wine"

Used to brew my own beer and it was fun when the weather is nice. Had a nice set up in the garage and a neighbour would help out and we share the expenses and time to make it.

It's great when you have nothing else to do.

I was very surprised at the quality of some of these home made wines. Or maybe I'm just getting old and my tastebuds have gone to hell. Lol

I also switched to wine and purchase by the box now. I thought I was doing great going to Magnotta and getting a 16L box for approx $4.30/750 mL. Looks like you one upped me and now I'm going to have to try to find a place to make it.;)

I've switched to wine and go the one of those make your own places in an industrial area.

We get a box of Merlot or whatever at $55 and it works out to less than $2 a bottle. We don't do the whole bottle your own etc. Just order, they make it and we pay and pick up.

Makes for a good "house wine"

Used to brew my own beer and it was fun when the weather is nice. Had a nice set up in the garage and a neighbour would help out and we share the expenses and time to make it.

It's great when you have nothing else to do.

I was very surprised at the quality of some of these home made wines. Or maybe I'm just getting old and my tastebuds have gone to hell. Lol

I also switched to wine and purchase by the box now. I thought I was doing great going to Magnotta and getting a 16L box for approx $4.30/750 mL. Looks like you one upped me and now I'm going to have to try to find a place to make it.;)

Do a search on Groupon. I snagged a deal from Wine Butler on boxing day. $7 to make 14 bottles of wine. You might find something out in the east end.

Looks like the Provincial minimum wage bump had increased pricing.

It was $10 cheaper this past December.

http://www.pontevecchio.ca/PonteVec...ecchio_U-Vin_-_Grape_Juice_Inc._-_U-Brew.html

*if you purchase the batch in a box, it’s $10 cheaper. If you bottle, it’s more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Very nice! Everything I've found around me is in the $140 range, so right in line with the Magnotta I'm currently getting. Well at the very least if I can't find anything with those prices around here it gives me an excuse to come down that way to visit family more often!:D

Looks like the Provincial minimum wage bump had increased pricing.

It was $10 cheaper this past December.

http://www.pontevecchio.ca/PonteVec...ecchio_U-Vin_-_Grape_Juice_Inc._-_U-Brew.html

*if you purchase the batch in a box, it’s $10 cheaper. If you bottle, it’s more.

Yup! Ask for a tasting or three, they will create a customer profile and then sell you your “batch”

Back
Top Bottom