Post your latest head shake moment | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Post your latest head shake moment

A lady driving in thick fog yesterday. She completely stopped in the middle of the road.

Teller at continental currency exchange takes my CAD and hand me back a stack of CAD at the us rate.
Did you point out the error or walk away with the extra cash? (assuming I'm understanding the math correctly)

Sent from the purple GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Back on topic nobbie48. Shaking my head at all the knuckleheads today in the ice storm.There was a lot of service vans with summer tires in and around KW sliding all over the place.
Had a smh moment yesterday when I saw one of those tall Dodge vans (Sprinter?) slipping and tires spinning everywhere....when it fishtailed, and I saw that "Enterprise" was on the side, my smh went from the driver to the company. For some reason I would have thought that rental companies would outfit their vehicles with winter tires.

Spending 3 hours yesterday pulling out the inner fender well and some fairings on my vehicle to access a sensor I wanted to modify...long story.

Then putting everything back together and not checking beforehand that the wires you spliced in were actually connected properly.

They were not.
banghead.gif

ERDTT sensor mod?

Had a smh moment yesterday when I saw one of those tall Dodge vans (Sprinter?) slipping and tires spinning everywhere....when it fishtailed, and I saw that "Enterprise" was on the side, my smh went from the driver to the company. For some reason I would have thought that rental companies would outfit their vehicles with winter tires.

The last time I went out west, I flew to calgary and had to drive to interior BC (in the winter). I called many rental companies and they all had the same story "There are no rental vehicles available with snow tires at any price". It was a fun drive back with no pavement visible under the ice for over 40 km of the trip.

I'm driving a Camry rental right now (ugh). Same answer, "no winter tires available, would you like our additional comprehensive insurance for $14.95 a day?"

No I would have gotten less cash. I gave her CAD, she did the conversion to USD which equals to less money and wanted to give the USD conversion in CAD.
My bad. I understood that you were given back original amount +~30% CAD

Check the plate next time.A rental from Kansas likely won't have winter tires.

The last time I went out west, I flew to calgary and had to drive to interior BC (in the winter). I called many rental companies and they all had the same story "There are no rental vehicles available with snow tires at any price". It was a fun drive back with no pavement visible under the ice for over 40 km of the trip.

surprised you had a rental that let you cross the prov. border. I ended up driving my own car out there cause none would allow cross border use.

surprised you had a rental that let you cross the prov. border. I ended up driving my own car out there cause none would allow cross border use.

Especially since once you pass Banff (or maybe sunshine?) winter tires and or chains are required to use the highway (according to the signs).

I rented a car from Enterprise in Calgary once. They came to pick me up, but the driver couldn't get the rental car up a hill in the blizzard that was happening at the time. So, she came and picked us up in her personal jeep, took us back to the rental car centre and handed us the keys to the car she couldn't get up the snow covered hill. Another 15cm of snow fell that day...as I drove to Banff.

Yes, good guess.

Good news was that apparently it DID work afterall. Woo!
Yes i had the sensor out of mine in the summer and everytime i put it back in it read -40 was losing my mind trying to find the problem even tried a different wiring harness. Turns out the sensor calibrates after a few kms over 70k and slowly finds the correct reading.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Yes i had the sensor out of mine in the summer and everytime i put it back in it read -40 was losing my mind trying to find the problem even tried a different wiring harness. Turns out the sensor calibrates after a few kms over 70k and slowly finds the correct reading.

Yeah, if you disconnect it fully without first disconnecting the battery you only have about 30 seconds before the ECM defaults it to -40, and I'd read that it takes some time to recalibrate. I guess you enjoyed some summer ERDTT in the meantime? ;)

I think that was what caused me to think my alternation hadn't worked initially - it seemed to still be reading the actual ambient temperature when I checked, but I didn't realize that even just patching in a new resistor (I never did disconnect the sensor, I just wired in parallel to the existing wires) would also require the recalibration period. It's working perfect now - even at -15c today it read 2c, so no ERDTT! Woo!

Sorry, I know a lot of people have NO idea what we're talking about. This should probably be in the EV thread. :)

Yeah, if you disconnect it fully without first disconnecting the battery you only have about 30 seconds before the ECM defaults it to -40, and I'd read that it takes some time to recalibrate. I guess you enjoyed some summer ERDTT in the meantime? ;)

I think that was what caused me to think my alternation hadn't worked initially - it seemed to still be reading the actual ambient temperature when I checked, but I didn't realize that even just patching in a new resistor (I never did disconnect the sensor, I just wired in parallel to the existing wires) would also require the recalibration period. It's working perfect now - even at -15c today it read 2c, so no ERDTT! Woo!

Sorry, I know a lot of people have NO idea what we're talking about. This should probably be in the EV thread. :)
On a gen2 if the sensor is disconnected completely it shows 2 dashes and no erdt it only goes to -40 when you reconnect the sensor.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Engine Running Due To Low Temperatures

Or create a switched device that allows you to flick a switch to change between 'normal' and modified sensor readings, so you can have an accurate temperature in spring/summer/fall

Last edited:
Tim Hortons Drive Thru-

I order a box of tim bits, pulled out the only paper i have in my wallet, a $5 bill. While waiting to get to the window i re-thought and decided i wanted a Cappuccino as well. I get to the window and tell the cashier "very sorry, but could you add a cappuccino to my order and let me know how much more i owe you?" I hand him the $5 and wait, while waiting i sort some change in the car, figuring i'll owe another $1-2.

He hands me my order, then a $10 bill, a toonie and some loose change. I look at it and say "i think you made a mistake, i should owe you money as i only handed you a $5". He thinks about it and replies "no sir, you gave me a $20. We're good." I again say "Look, all i had was a $5 on me. I owe you more for sure, just let me know." He replies "No, no. Really, we're good. Have a nice day." I shrug and drive off. In retrospect i should have tipped him the $10, he would have needed it when they ran his till.

Back
Top Bottom