Safety a Motorcycle in Winter | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Safety a Motorcycle in Winter

That's what I want, one insurance one plate and I can ride anything, hang it on the back and go. If they can do that for a mechanic why can they not do that for everyone?

You think you're paying a lot for insurance now ? For a dealer or manufacturer plate the premiums are hideous.

You think you're paying a lot for insurance now ? For a dealer or manufacturer plate the premiums are hideous.
and why is that? other then because they set the rates high to make profits. I'm the same liable me no matter what I ride and nothing is more dangerous then operating a farm tractor with the PTO running. Farm tractor insurance is cheap! Nothing I drive could do more damage then my F350 towing a 34 foot 5th. wheel trailer with 3 motorcycles in the garage :/ liability insurance for the whole rig is almost half the cost of my one motorcycle.

Face it insurance charges what they can, not what is logical.

Oh and btw, they safety my truck and my dump trailer annually and never drive it further then into the garage and back out. The trailer they disconnect it and never move it an inch, they pull the brakes only to look at them and never clean or lubricate one single thing, I have to do all that.

Last edited:
I would test towards the open door (or another direction where you have an escape route). Besides 30 is a guideline to get a feel for the brakes, the key is get it moving and see how things feel.

I think a lot of people are under estimating 30KPH. It seems slow until you realize that the average human can't even run half that speed, so on a smaller (IE, motorcycle service) shop it's likely impossible to get a bike up to that speed safely inside. In a big dealer shop or a place like (barf) Canadian Tire, sure..but your average motorcycle mechanics shop, not gonna happen.

and why is that? other then because they set the rates high to make profits. I'm the same liable me no matter what I ride and nothing is more dangerous then operating a farm tractor with the PTO running. Farm tractor insurance is cheap! Nothing I drive could do more damage then my F350 towing a 34 foot 5th. wheel trailer with 3 motorcycles in the garage :/ liability insurance for the whole rig is almost half the cost of my one motorcycle.

A dealer/garage plate and related insurance is astronomically expensive because of the liability and variability involved.

One minute you could be test driving someones $500 shitbox with only 2 working brakes, the next day you could be driving someones $150,000 Porche. It also blankets everyone who works for the company, so it could be the 16 year old oil-change kid driving the Porche whilst the old grey bearded tech guru is the one driving the $500 shitbox.

That's why it's so expensive.

By the way, I hope you have a class AR licence at minimum for your truck/trailer combination. ;)

... hope you have a class AR licence at minimum for your truck/trailer combination. ;)
oh wonderful :/ yet another license class
... guess I better hang the orange triangle on it now

oh wonderful :/ yet another license class
... guess I better hang the orange triangle on it now

AR came out quite some time ago, it's not new.

It offers an alternative for the recreational RV market operators who exceed the weight limits of their regular class G (As you almost certainly are) without the need for getting the full commercial class A.

You'd be advised to get it - the MTO/OPP are starting to pay a lot more attention to anything with a yellow sticker now, to which your truck would quality assuming it's >4500KG GVWR, as pretty much any modern 350/3500 series 1-ton is. If you get caught driving over your licence class limit you'll have to find someone else to pickup your truck & trailer from the side of the road wherever you get pulled over.

I've been in the industry over 20 years, I'm not just talking out my hat either. ;)

Oh I don't doubt any of it for a minute, probably requires an annual test too :/ yet another freakin money grab , an alternative for the recreational RV market operators that we didn't even need before.

... pretty soon I'll need a special license to operate a chain saw and climb a step ladder too no doubt. How about a T license for my Tractor and an E license for my excavator too!

Thanks for the heads up, mines a GM
... the license not the truck.

Last edited:
Oh I don't doubt any of it for a minute, probably requires an annual test too :/ yet another freakin money grab , an alternative for the recreational RV market operators that we didn't even need before.

I understand you don't agree with it, but I do. There was an increasing problem with unskilled drivers going out and buying 60 foot long 40,000+ pound truck trailer RV combinations in their later years and setting off onto the roads with no skills, after having never driven anything bigger than an econobox all their lives.

The class AR licence is a basic level of additional training that makes sure operators are actually achieving a basic skill level and are prepared to actually operate what they're driving.

People expect people driving D and A class heavy vehicles to have additional training, I don't think anything different should apply for people in the recreational market just because they're doing it with a smaller truck, especially one that is far less capable (a pickup vs a class 7/8 tractor) to begin with.

... pretty soon I'll need a special license to operate a chain saw and climb a step ladder too no doubt. How about a T license for my Tractor and an E license for my excavator too!

Thanks for the heads up, mines a GM
... the license not the truck.

You are fine as long as the trailer is classified as an rv up to 25000 lbs
https://www.sicardrv.com/blog/post/rv-driving-regulations-in-ontario/

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

You are fine as long as the trailer is classified as an rv up to 25000 lbs
https://www.sicardrv.com/blog/post/rv-driving-regulations-in-ontario/

That website is wrong in a few spots and doesn't even mention the class AR licence.

Here's the facts:

http://www.pstc.ca/trucking-today/ontario/

On July 1, 2011 the Ontario Government gave RV’ers a gift. They have allowed an exemption for those RV’ers who use a pick up truck and fifth wheel configuration but are over the trailer weight limit of 4,600 kg. For most this means they will still enjoy using their class G license as long as they don’t go over their 11, 000 kg gross combined. As soon as the gross combined is over 11, 000 kg you will have to upgrade to a Class A restricted at the very least.

Here are the buts to this new law:

You must have a pick up truck as defined by regulation.
Pick up must not weigh over 6,000 kg.
Pick up truck is fitted with the original box or replacement box that duplicates the one installed by the manufacturer.
Your gross combined can not be more then 11,000 kg.
You are towing a fifth wheel Recreational Vehicle.
You can not double tow.

The class G weight licence restriction still applies - you can't exceed it no matter what. The only thing exempt is if the TRAILER is over 4600KG, but the 11,000KG overall class G licence restriction still applies. A 350 series (hopefully dually) pickup truck with a 35 foot loaded toy hauler is going to almost certainly exceed 11,000KG.

There's a reason they introduced the class AR licence 10 years back.

Last edited:
11000 kg is 24000 lbs

I recognize that, but a lot of people mistake the 5th wheel exemption meaning that the 11,000KG/24,000# limit is overridden somehow. It's not. You still can't exceed the limit of the licence no matter what exemptions they put in place for trailers.

Honestly, I think that exemption is dangerous, as well - all it's served to do is have people try to tow oversized trailers with woefully undersized trucks in order to try to stay inside the class G licence...so dude buys a short box 1/2 ton that weighs 4500# and then is somehow magically quasi-legal (lets not even get into GAWR's and such, most of which are being exceeded on your average RV setup, but that's another story) to tow a 19,500# fifth wheel with it while still staying just under the 24000# max limit of a class G licence.

That combination is a disaster waiting to happen..but that exemption causes people to do exactly that.

smh

Safety a motorcycle in winter to this...

The class AR licence is a basic level of additional training that makes sure operators are actually achieving a basic skill level and are prepared to actually operate what they're driving..
Holding a license to operate something don't mean crap! Owning one and driving it for hundreds of thousands of kilometres without incident means a lot! So will they grandfather me for that? Heck no they didn't even bring it to my attention that a new license classification was mandatory when I last renewed my license and all of my hundreds and hundreds of dollars worth of plate renewals along with the hundreds and hundreds of dollars worth of mechanical safety inspection yellow tags.

It's a tax grab and they will start to enforce it the moment some cop makes it his personal mission, or the government fund needs the revenue.

"Safety a motorcycle in winter to this..." get ready to need to annually safety all of your motor vehicles!

Holding a license to operate something don't mean crap!

The training associated with obtaining a higher class licence isn't something to be casually dismissed.

I'm in the trucking industry and I've seen a lot of "old timers" who got their licence before such training standards existed, and trust me, they do a lot of dumb ****, and honestly don't really understand a lot of the equipment they're actually operating because they never received any training about how it works. That's the blunt truth from someone who's been in the industry over 20 years.

Have they maybe driven many years safely without that knowledge? Sure. But when the **** hits the fan one day and they don't understand a little tidbit of technical knowledge about their airbrake system (for one example) that could save lives in an emergency (their own, or YOU in that little car beside them), that lack of training comes to light.

Would you like to see new class A truck drivers hitting the roads with ZERO training so long as they can fumble their way through the (laughably easy) MTO road test and get their A licence?

Heck no they didn't even bring it to my attention that a new license classification was mandatory when I last renewed my license and all of my hundreds and hundreds of dollars worth of plate renewals along with the hundreds and hundreds of dollars worth of mechanical safety inspection yellow tags.![/COLOR]

It's on the driver to actually make sure they're properly licensed, not the government.

If you wanted to drive a straight truck they assume you'll get a class D licence. If you wanted to drive a coach, they assume you'll get a class C. If you want to drive a tractor trailer they assume you'll get an AZ.

The limitations and restrictions of your licence class are clearly stamped right on the back of it along with your licence class.

Back
Top Bottom