Safety a Motorcycle in Winter | GTAMotorcycle.com

Safety a Motorcycle in Winter

arogal

Hi guys,
I was wondering if its possible to safety a motorcycle in the winter. Obviously all the inspections can be done in the shop, but how would they take the bike on the road to test? Would they just skip that part and still offer a valid safety?
Thanks,

To properly check the brakes I would say riding it is a must. I've gone to places where they never rode it, and I've gone to places that ride it up and down the side of the building. But I've never been to a place that takes it out on the street.

This is what I have experienced as well.

To properly check the brakes I would say riding it is a must. I've gone to places where they never rode it, and I've gone to places that ride it up and down the side of the building. But I've never been to a place that takes it out on the street.

I called a couple shops and no one was picking up and needed to get back to someone quickly to answer his questions and I know you guys on GTAM are fairly quick! Thanks for the responses. I make some calls again.

I called a couple shops and no one was picking up and needed to get back to someone quickly to answer his questions and I know you guys on GTAM are fairly quick! Thanks for the responses. I make some calls again.

if you really do need help, pm frekey

some will ride it around the shop lot, some actually do a short road test, some just run it the length of the shop inside. Depends on the shop and possibly the bike.

When a shop answers the phone just ask if they can do a safety , don't ask how.

Current Motor Vehicle Fitness Certificate requirements for motorcycles state it must be ridden up to a speed of 30 KMH and the brakes checked for safe operation.
Today might be a good day, last week not so much ?

today might be a bad day

I'll take a cold dry road over slippery+wet+frozen road any day.

All this sudden melting then freezing quick is weird

make the arrangements and let the shop do what they need to do
don't think the bike owner will have any input whether the business decides to do it or not

Current Motor Vehicle Fitness Certificate requirements for motorcycles state it must be ridden up to a speed of 30 KMH and the brakes checked for safe operation.
Today might be a good day, last week not so much ?

Thanks for the actual requirement. With the right bike and garage, that can probably be done inside. Braking from 30 should only be 10 or 15'

Hi guys,
I was wondering if its possible to safety a motorcycle in the winter. Obviously all the inspections can be done in the shop, but how would they take the bike on the road to test? Would they just skip that part and still offer a valid safety?
Thanks,
big garage, short test ride

or just take it out back and pop a couple of wheelies :D
... thats' what I would do

This. A lot of shops don't do it. Doesn't mean that's right.

Thanks for the actual requirement. With the right bike and garage, that can probably be done inside. Braking from 30 should only be 10 or 15'

If it fails the brake test inside I hope the back door is open and the bike pointed at it.

Catch 22: How does a shop do a road test on an unlicensed uninsured vehicle? How does it get licensed without a safety?

You can't drive / ride an uninsured motor vehicle on private property unless you own the property.

If it fails the brake test inside I hope the back door is open and the bike pointed at it.

Catch 22: How does a shop do a road test on an unlicensed uninsured vehicle? How does it get licensed without a safety?

You can't drive / ride an uninsured motor vehicle on private property unless you own the property.

I would test towards the open door (or another direction where you have an escape route). Besides 30 is a guideline to get a feel for the brakes, the key is get it moving and see how things feel.

Mechanics have insurance that covers vehicles being test driven by the shop. Yellow plates are used to operate unlicensed vehicles under a blanket license.

That's what I want, one insurance one plate and I can ride anything, hang it on the back and go. If they can do that for a mechanic why can they not do that for everyone?

Back
Top Bottom