How do you feel about the decline of petrol vehicles? | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

How do you feel about the decline of petrol vehicles?

Today these are luxury or niche vehicles, they have yet to reach economic practicality.

I took a long hard look at Kia, Chev and Nissan's entry level Ev vs gas option. There was no possible way I could get any scenario to make the EV more economically viable than it's gas sister. Fuel savings of $30% can't close the gap on financing costs.

The closest comparison I could get was a Chev Volt vs Chev Cruze. Similarly equipped, the VOLT is about 2x out the door and about 1/3 more effecient. So, here's how the comparison went on a 5 year plan, 125K KM:

Financing costs:
Lease: $230/mo vs $450/mo ($13Kpremium)
Buy: $22K vs $43K (21K premium)
Depreciation: $15K vs $30K
Fuel:
* 25K KM per year
* gas prices at 1.25/l, elec at 0.20/kwh
* mileage 7.1L/100KM for gas, 29KWH/100KM for electricity
$2220 vs $1430/year
Those numbers do not seem right to me did you factor in the provincial rebate?
for us a cruze and volt were the same price when we bought new this year after discounts we paid 29000 for the volt and a cruise was almost the same amount.

Today these are luxury or niche vehicles, they have yet to reach economic practicality.

I took a long hard look at Kia, Chev and Nissan's entry level Ev vs gas option. There was no possible way I could get any scenario to make the EV more economically viable than it's gas sister. Fuel savings of $30% can't close the gap on financing costs.

The closest comparison I could get was a Chev Volt vs Chev Cruze. Similarly equipped, the VOLT is about 2x out the door and about 1/3 more effecient. So, here's how the comparison went on a 5 year plan, 125K KM:

Financing costs:
Lease: $230/mo vs $450/mo ($13Kpremium)
Buy: $22K vs $43K (21K premium)
Depreciation: $15K vs $30K
Fuel:
* 25K KM per year
$2220 vs $1430/year

factor in your rebate, but add electrician costs to wire in a charger to your house.

But to me, there are other non financial factors one needs to consider :

People who live in an apartment or need to park their car in a remote location?

having to plug your car 2, 3 or more times a day? at home, work, the mall? etc? thats a royal pain in the azz

what about if you run out of charge and you are in the middle of nowhere? waiting for a tow truck? yeah ok. at least with gas, CAA can bail you out.

spend all that money on an electric car, and the hassle of long trips?

I'll stick to my original plan, I'd buy a proper hybrid, like say, the 2019 Honda Insight Hybrid, 50+ mpg and reap the benefits.

Until I'm convinced that an electric car has proper range, and prices come down, then I'll put one in my driveway.

This has all been mentioned in the other electric thread, but that one seems to be a GM Volt love fest about a car that really isn't that great, and is going to be discontinued, and the thread keeps going in circles and circles. :)

Last edited:

So, as was mentioned, I don't know where you got a lot of those numbers from, but they are fantastically wrong. I'm hoping it's just an honest mistake based on a misunderstanding of EV's, not a deliberate attempt to smear them, but lets set some things straight.

The closest comparison I could get was a Chev Volt vs Chev Cruze. Similarly equipped, the VOLT is about 2x out the door and about 1/3 more efficient. So, here's how the comparison went on a 5 year plan, 125K KM:

Cruze Premiere $25,553 MSRP. By the time you add a few options that come standard on the Volt Premiere you're closer to about $28,000

Volt Premiere after $14,000 rebate = $32200, well equipped.

So, the difference when comparing apples to apples (lets not compare a base Cruze to a Premiere Volt) is only a little over $4000.

* 25K KM per year
$2220 vs $1430/year

So, things go horribly awry here.

First, electricity isn't $0.020/kwh. Off peak (which is when most EV owners charge) it's $0.065/kwh. Less than a third of what you posted. Even if you insist on charging during on peak hours it's less than $0.20/kwh, so I'm not sure where that number came from. If you're trying to roll in delivery fees and such that's a bit of a misnomer in the end as you're paying those anyways for your regular home electricity usage so trying to lump all those fees onto the EV figures is a fallacy.

Your average fuel economy for the Cruze seems about right, for the record, looking at fuelly.com

But, your kwh/100KM consumption for the Volt is off the charts wrong and seems to be pulled from either the consumption figures of a Tesla (driven very aggressively at that, not all EV's are equally efficient either - the Porche offerings for example are energy pigs), or is a confusion between Kilometers and Miles, since most stats out there are in US figures.

This article may be of interest for you, or anyone considering an EV actually.

So, an actual more realistic figure is around 17Kw/100KM. In the summer in stop and go or city traffic (which is far MORE effecient on an EV vs a gas car, opposite from the usual) that can easily drop to the sub 15 level, but lets say 16.5kw/100KM as an average.

Doing the calculations again, assuming off peak electricity, you now have a cost of $1.07 for those 100KM's.

So, tallying things up:

Cost per 100KM Chevy Cruze based on $1.25/L gas = $8.87
Cost per 100KM Chevy Volt based on $0.065/kwh = $1.07

Yeah, about 8 times cheaper.

Over a 25,000KM year as you listed, yearly cost for the Cruze is $2217 in gas. For the Volt, $240 in electricity, for a savings of almost $2000/year.

If you actually do end up driving on the engine a little for an extended trip...the Volt actually gets a better gas fuel economy than the Cruze, as well.

So, inside 2 years of ownership the extra cost of the Volt pays for itself, and then you're laughing. Own the car for 10 years and you've saved a whopping $16,000 in operational costs vs a gas car...and the Volt will have a higher residual value at the end vs a 10 year old run of the mill Cruze that'll fetch you maybe $1500.

If the price of gas spikes again to the levels we've seen in the past ($1.25/L may be a pipe dream in 3-6 years, who knows) then the numbers only get even more amazing - electricity is comparatively dirt cheap compared to gas, and the best part is that fluctuations are minor and seldom, not like gas that can jump $0.20/L overnight just because someone farted in a refinery in Texas and a piece of machinery had to be shut down for a week.

Last edited:
If the price of gas spikes again to the levels we've seen in the past ($1.25/L may be a pipe dream in 3-6 years, who knows) then the numbers only get even more amazing - electricity is comparatively dirt cheap compared to gas, and the best part is that fluctuations are minor and seldom, not like gas that can jump $0.20/L overnight just because someone farted in a refinery in Texas and a piece of machinery had to be shut down for a week.

Ding ding ding! I think this is the biggest factor people don't consider when they weigh the value of an EV. Ask yourself will gas continue to rise?

The world has moved on past gen 1 Leaf or Prius ... don't settle for what the naysayers keep repeating. Try it, form your own opinion. Not sure what you drive now, but I kissed goodbye Mini Cooper S as I knew BWM will not have an EV version until 2020 probably and it will cost +50K$ new. It was manual with sport package and fantastic driving feel. But it also was German, with 135K on the clock and required Premium gas .... Honestly, I don't miss it.

I drive a 2006 Forester XT with a stick. Basically a WRX in a Forester body. Small enough for the city. Big enough to carry a stove or a canoe on the roof. Hauls my bike or boat trailer, but also a blast to drift on gravel roads. If i had to replace today, the only vehicle out there is the golf awd wagon, which you can still get with a stick. No EV checks all my boxes.

First, electricity isn't $0.020/kwh. Off peak (which is when most EV owners charge) it's $0.065/kwh. Less than a third of what you posted. Even if you insist on charging during on peak hours it's less than $0.20/kwh, so I'm not sure where that number came from. If you're trying to roll in delivery fees and such that's a bit of a misnomer in the end as you're paying those anyways for your regular home electricity usage so trying to lump all those fees onto the EV figures is a fallacy. end quote.

HOWEVER

I think your math is wrong. I agree $ 0.20/kw/hr is too cheap with hydro charges. However, this figure at least shows the decimal placed correctly.
A better estimate of the hydro rate is in the $ 0.40 a kw/hr range, perhaps $ 0.30kw/hr - You used $0.065 in your math calculations. This is about 6.5 cents a kw/hr ? Re-do your math at a too low 20 cents a kwhr and the cost is about 3 fold what you stated above. just sayin...

edit
If you want to know what you are really paying a kw/hr, all in, look at your bill and determine how many kw/hr you used for the last month - along with your bill amount, and figure out what the electricity really cost per kw/hr. The numbers given out by hydro are a joke....

hydro one raises your delivery rate when you use more electricity: negating the savings.

“A portion of the delivery charge is calculated at a fixed amount. The rest of the charges increase or decrease depending on the amount of electricity you use.”

Last edited:
Ding ding ding! I think this is the biggest factor people don't consider when they weigh the value of an EV. Ask yourself will gas continue to rise?

Not so fast. Today's ice cars are far more fuel efficient than they were 10 years ago.

Today's compacts regularly can get 36 to 40 mpg compared to 10 years ago. And there is no reason not to believe that number will rise.

Add in a hybrid component and you realize 50+ mpg

Another example, one of our fleet vehicles with a 5.4 liter V8 and 4spd auto was replaced with a modern 3.5 V6 and 6 speed auto and an overall lighter vehicle. Needless to say we realized tremendous fuel economy gains.

Something to think about before plunking down the premium cost of an electric car like the Volt just to gain a paltry 70km of electric range.

Last edited:
Anyone have any idea where the government will recoup the loss of $ from our incredibly high gas taxes? Will have to come from someplace and I'm guessing in some way from EV. Either at point of sale of EV or in some way hitting the charging of EV's. No way they will just walk away from this.

Anyone have any idea where the government will recoup the loss of $ from our incredibly high gas taxes? Will have to come from someplace and I'm guessing in some way from EV. Either at point of sale of EV or in some way hitting the charging of EV's. No way they will just walk away from this.

Energy costs when the infrastructure is updated. Your savings in gas will roll into your home.

You can be guaranteed electricity rates will rise. I've talked to numerous electrical engineers at the utility we deal with who are scratching their heads over the amount of money required to update the electrical systems of every city to handle the extra load of electric cars.

Yes sir, the local utility will be downloading the charges to you and me. Like Electric motors and batteries, transformers aren't cheap.

Changing gears, if you need an explained link of the various new tech coming to cars...

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/glo...vigate-hybrid-vehicleoptions/article37537724/

Quote Originally Posted by MacDoc View Post
More likely a road use tax based on distance....don't see a general energy tax addressing vehicles.
Disagree with this.

You are welcome to disagree but the trend is already there with pay for access like HOV lanes, 407 and the congestion vehicle tax in cities.
You get a transponder for travel that is locked to your vehicle.

Why should the general public pay for your travel.

There is no necessity for electricity rates to rise as most charging is done when there is already excess capacity and rates are lowest.
In addition... the big batteries of EVs represent a valuable storage facility for utilities.

BMW to deploy used EV batteries in residential storage market | Utility ...
https://www.utilitydive.com/news/bmw-to-deploy...ev-batteries-in...storage.../421475/
Jun 27, 2016 - BMW has announced plans to bring to market a home storage system based on batteries from its i3 electric vehicles. The home battery system, being developed in conjunction with Beck Automation, would be able to store power from a rooftop solar system or be used as a backup source of energy for a

Vehicle-to-grid - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle-to-grid
Vehicle-to-grid (V2G) describes a system in which plug-in electric vehicles, such as electric cars (BEV), plug-in hybrids (PHEV) or hydrogen Fuel Cell Electric Vehicles (FCEV), communicate with the power grid to sell demand response services by either returning electricity to the grid or by throttling their charging rate .

and more technical...

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/22348972.2017.1324275?needAccess=true&

EV users will sign up for cheaper power in return for up to 30% of their battery being available to the grid.

You can be guaranteed electricity rates will rise. I've talked to numerous electrical engineers at the utility we deal with who are scratching their heads over the amount of money required to update the electrical systems of every city to handle the extra load of electric cars.

Yes sir, the local utility will be downloading the charges to you and me. Like Electric motors and batteries, transformers aren't cheap.

Changing gears, if you need an explained link of the various new tech coming to cars...

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/glo...vigate-hybrid-vehicleoptions/article37537724/

ummm maybe the engineers haven't considered that the large majority of people will charge their cars during the off peak hours. Shouldn't be a need to build more infrastructure than normal ...

ummm maybe the engineers haven't considered that the large majority of people will charge their cars during the off peak hours. Shouldn't be a need to build more infrastructure than normal ...

Right. So the sudden load of potentially thousands and thousands of people charging their 80amp load cars at "off peak" hours all night and into the next morning won't tax the grid?

Yup...
and hydrogen has a play in all this as hydrogen represents a way to store renewable electricity

Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle

While battery-electric vehicles seem like the technology that will eventually replace the internal combustion engine after more than 100 years of loyal service, hydrogen fuel cell vehicles are a dark horse in the race. They use tanks of hydrogen that, when combined with oxygen, produce electricity that drives a motor. Refuelling takes about five minutes and is done at dedicated hydrogen gas stations. A handful of FCEVs are available, but only in places where the necessary refuelling infrastructure exists.

I'd given up on hydrogen but so many irons in the fire on it that I've rethought it.

I drive a 2006 Forester XT with a stick. Basically a WRX in a Forester body. Small enough for the city. Big enough to carry a stove or a canoe on the roof. Hauls my bike or boat trailer, but also a blast to drift on gravel roads. If i had to replace today, the only vehicle out there is the golf awd wagon, which you can still get with a stick. No EV checks all my boxes.

You will be waiting a while for that format of an EV vehicle. Plus you driving old car with basically no value left .... That's just the way it is. You will probably have to settle for some type of PHEV first, depending on your budget.

Yup...
and hydrogen has a play in all this as hydrogen represents a way to store renewable electricity

I'd given up on hydrogen but so many irons in the fire on it that I've rethought it.

What irons???? Nothing regarding passenger cars. Zilch. Zero. The only place is some very special applications which have nothing to do with small vehicles transportation.

Quite so. There's no serious study which would find otherwise. The build up is gradual, especially in Canada, so the utilities have plenty of time to plan and they cannot wait for the new revenue streams, believe me. In the States you have utilities who offer incentives to EV car buyers, that's how scared they are of the EV on-ramp .... LOL

It's all BS spread by people who either have no clue or just are flat out against it ....

Back
Top Bottom