How do you feel about the decline of petrol vehicles? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

How do you feel about the decline of petrol vehicles?

Recharging batteries is a pain. I don't even like to recharge my phone! Batteries will start to loose their capacity year by year. Even with best use, they need to be replaced every whatever years. Recycling them is a pain for the environment. A damage to batteries due to an accident or something turns electric car into a bomb! I think currently its too early until new kind of betteries come to market. Companies like Tesla are making good money with people being too excited getting future technology! Buying a car that owner can't even really travel with it!! Hybrid cars make better sense.
And in a parallel universe, another guy is saying...

Refilling a gas tank is a pain. I don't even like to refuel my lighter! Engines will start to wear out year by year. Even with best use, they need to be replaced every whatever years. Recycling them is a pain for the environment. A damage to gas tanks due to an accident or something turns ICE car into a bomb! I think currently its too early until new kind of fuels come to market. Companies like Gasla are making good money with people being too excited getting future technology! Buying a car that owner can't even really travel with it!! Hybrid cars make better sense.

My VTX1300 uses more fuel for every 100KM than my Chevy Volt does when running solely on gas, electric aside. Most decent sized motorcycles burn more than a Prius on a per 100/KM basis.

When you compare the weight and size difference between a motorcycle and a vehicle, you start to grasp how bad the fuel economy is on a motorcycle actually, so that statement isn't really true.

+1 for the merge with the EV thread in RR.

My Goldwing is a gas hog compared to the available econo boxes.

If your arm is up to it do a comparison of bikes, hybrid, econo box, and fully loaded semis with fuel results in ton miles.

BTW electric bikes will break the hearts of the loud pipe crowd.

Last edited:
^^^

Yawn, here we go all over again with the preconceived notions and false information.

LOL... why would you even think for a split of a second that there was any chance in hell this would not happen quickly.

Have fun debating guys.

LOL... why would you even think for a split of a second that there was any chance in hell this would not happen quickly.

Have fun debating guys.

Because oil sands? Gutting the western economy won't be good for Canada.

I’m good with it. I’ll hold on to my Petro machines and possibly have a “classic” of sorts and purchase my fuel from some back yard “hooch” maker since the real death of ICE will be when there it’s not worth it to the global conglomerates to produce it.

At that point, I expect whatever the Jetson’s are driving or travelling in, I’ll adapt to it.

Beside, there will always be peddle bicycles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because oil sands? Gutting the western economy won't be good for Canada.

market forces are going to take care of the oil sands
most expensive and dirty way there is to get oil

with wide open fracking and now the resumption of off shore drilling
the oilsands operations will come under increased shareholder scrutiny
only reason those mega projects are operating at all is because they cost billions to start

as an Eastern guy, I really don't care where the crude originates
finished products are processed in Eastern refineries from crude that comes from an oil co

no such thing as Alberta oil, they gave it away for nothing

as for the Canadian economy
didn't work out too well when Harper turned the country into a gas station

I'd like to see the Ontario work force that has been engaged in auto manufacturing
an industry that is on the decline here, be retrained and retooled for renewables manufacturing

or we can just let the car industry die while China dominates renewables

Last edited:
I'm not a tree hugger, but a ton of you are missing the reason behind why the world needs to cut fossil fuels.

Remember how global warming was a thing? Well, it was never not a thing. And we're kinda expediting the process way too fast.

Profits don't matter if we literally **** up our only home ;) When this will happen is highly dependent on how fast the policy makes do their job despite all the conflicts of interest. With any luck, everyone here posting will be dead by the time green house emissions affect things besides mountain glaciers and things tree huggers love.

If, however, we keep emissions up the way we do now and nothing changes, we'll all live to see the effects. None of this is up for debate as the research and white papers have been done by people far smarter and specialized than any of us in the subject.

It was never my intention for this topic to talk about whether or not fossil fuels will be cut...but it seems that a lot of people aren't aware of why.

I think everyone is "aware" by now, not everyone believes the scientists ... you know. Higher temps and higher CO2, oh well, there must be some hockey stick graph which explains that it is NOT our fault, right?

Trump is showing the way of his own "science", so expect things get even harder and be ready to get even more disappointed. That's what I would expect, if I was you.

Seems like, you were really expecting that this forum would sort of express a genuine concern over future profound changes in our environment .... why would you have that expectation? Honest question ... if it was a gardening site, I'd understand. But it is not.

There is no doubt in my mind we are impacting the planet with our presence.

However, I think it’s naive to state the world is in trouble from it.

Earth quakes, floods, mud slides, fires, drought etc. It will all continue. Human existence or not, there will be destruction and death.

Death of the ICE in personal vehicles will do nothing.

The real impact is in commercial energy use and how it transitions.

Well i can see it being a shift (see what i did there) that inverts the current landscape. Instead of having 95/5 ICE/EV it'll be the other way around.

Zero motorcycles is making great advances from one gen to the next. Batteries in phones are made to keep their charges for longer, needing replacement less often. I don't see what's wrong with wanting to go from ICE to EV if it allows us to innovate. The ice engine has kinda peaked at this point, even with all that money being thrown at it from big oil, so i can only imagine what will happen once we concentrate everything on other technologies.

I love revving my bike up, or my car, but in the end, it's child's play and there's bigger things at stake than my own enjoyment. All Trumpadministration is doing by gutting his country of any 'environmental sensible' solutions is taking the USA out of the race leaving more space for China to takeover.

In my opinion, whether or not you believe in global warming/climate change, the issue isn't even with pollution, but that the fact that there's only a finite amount of fossil fuels that will eventually run out. Just like in investing, you don't want all your eggs in one basket, so by diversifying we can at least be less focked down the line by finding alternate solution and making them more efficient, rather than scrambling when everyone finally opens their eyes to the situation.

The airline and shipping industry pollutes so much more than consumer vehicles. I don't know why the world acts like cars are killing the planet when these are the real contributors.

Example: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1229857/How-16-ships-create-pollution-cars-world.html

Also, there was already a thread about this in the Romper Room.

I think the focus of that ev owners thread was more to have people who talk ev or are in the market of an ev to discuss the options and their experience.

This thread seems to be more about the shift TO ev.

As for the transportation industry, i see a sound strategy in perfecting the smaller format before swapping it into the bigger format. You can reach a wider user base, get feedback, get more trial and error going, to fix it the bugs before going into the bigger engines that should "fail less" ideally.

The airline and shipping industry pollutes so much more than consumer vehicles. I don't know why the world acts like cars are killing the planet when these are the real contributors.

Example: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1229857/How-16-ships-create-pollution-cars-world.html

Also, there was already a thread about this in the Romper Room.
There's always some way to present the numbers so one industry, or one region, or one lifestyle, isn't the worst offender. Who cares? You eliminate GHG where you can.

Cars are huge emitters that are relatively cheap and short lived, so they're easy targets for switching over to renewables. The powerplants are already leading the trend in most countries.

Planes and ships and Trumps will catch up, eventually.

The real problem? To many of us. Period. Earth will be just fine. Humans will only inhabit it for a tiny moment. It will flick us off like a pesky bug. It will continue on.

Just for the record ...the Daily Mail was referring to sulphur pollution not CO2.

16 of the world’s largest ships can produce as much lung-clogging sulphur pollution as all the world’s cars.

The shift is underway to low carbon industrial society ....the geography gonna look pretty different in some places a few decades out.
Unless we find a way to reverse C02 - ie pull it from the atmosphere then we are in a very different climate regime by the mid 2020s.

I see New York and few others are suing the oil barons.

New York City sues Shell, ExxonMobil and other oil companies over climate change
By Chris Mooney and Dino Grandoni January 10

Waves wash over the sea wall at Battery Park in New York in 2012 as Hurricane Sandy approaches the East Coast. (Craig Ruttle/AP)
The New York City government is suing the world’s five largest publicly traded oil companies, seeking to hold them responsible for present and future damage to the city from climate change.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...s-over-climate-change/?utm_term=.d452d52489df

Might pay for some mitigation costs.

We'll see ICE vehicles for a good while yet but no major is going to invest in carbon infrastructure without a clear path to ongoing profits and there is not one which is in part why investors are fleeing.

Already you can't buy fuel in Lower Manhattan.
You can't ride an ICE vehicle in Bejiing and it's punitive to drive one in Copenhagen due to ICE taxes on the vehicles.
There is a point coming quickly where a variety of factors make the switch a no brainer...and it's pretty close.

Interesting times.

They start selling Tesla at the price point of an Accord and the range of the Bolt, I’m in!

I got to play around on a zero electric motorcycle back in 2012. Rode it around for about 20 minutes and it was a ton of fun. The price I was not fond of.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

I will always have at least one petroleum based motorcycle as long as I ride. Electric is the future for sure. There's no stopping it now, but I'll be long retired before it completely takes over. At that point, I will be putting down the road on my old Harley, about as big a novelty as a steam engine.

Back
Top Bottom