How do you feel about the decline of petrol vehicles? | Page 14 | GTAMotorcycle.com

How do you feel about the decline of petrol vehicles?

Bow wow wow, that is an ugly dog. But I will damn it with faint praise by saying the current Prius is worse because of its Dracula-fang taillights. What has gotten into the designers at Japanese companies lately??

Bow wow wow, that is an ugly dog. But I will damn it with faint praise by saying the current Prius is worse because of its Dracula-fang taillights.

Agreed.

FWIW I don't particularly like the back end of the second generation Volts either...not because it's particularly weird, but perhaps because it's just particularly...boring. They don't catch my eye as being anything special - they almost look like another run of the mill car that I can't quite place.

chevrolet-volt-2nd-gen-102_h1fcpv.jpg

I think VW did well with the Egolf in just not changing things for the most part. It's a car that a lot of people like, in an EV form. Ditto the Kia, and a few others.

The Leaf would also be in contention for me now as of the 2018 model year - the new body is actually quite nice looking to me. I could never hack the look of any of the previous generations, too bug eyed on the front, and weird-assed on the rear.

Last edited:
FWIW I don't particularly like the back end of the second generation Volts either...not because it's particularly weird, but perhaps because it's just particularly...boring. They don't catch my eye as being anything special - they almost look like another run of the mill car that I can't quite place.

I think VW did well with the Egolf in just not changing things for the most part. It's a car that a lot of people like, in an EV form. Ditto the Kia, and a few others.

More vehicles with modern drivetrains need to look like normal vehicles. Too many are falling prey to the gamer mentality and just look stupid. I don't need RGB lights in my computer and I don't need special ugly wheels on a hybrid. If the wheels measurably increase efficiency (which I doubt) they should be offered as an option (or standard) regardless of powertrain.

More vehicles with modern drivetrains need to look like normal vehicles.

Valid, and common, argument. That’s exactly why the second generation Volt was far more generic looking vs the first.

I find it too generic. Others like that.

But as someone who found the last gen Leaf and the current Honda and Toyota offerings silly and overdone, I can certainly see arguments for and against over-stylizing EV’s

I don't know about dates and uptake rate....but when someone can sell me a vehicle that is in the Camry/Accord size that goes 300kms (approx) and costs 30k (maybe 35k) then the tipping point will have arrived for EVs. right now a plug in hybrid vehicle can hit 900 kms on a tank and costs 35k. But electric vehicle need to eliminate the range anxiety (the vast majority of people don't need a second car that goes more than 300k in a day), and then the cost factor. Musks promises are close...but far from reality at this point. But sign me up at 300kms and $35k.
I'm happy with range for the Volt, 80KM covers 99% of my trips. If I was to go pure EV, I would probably ask for 200KM range - anything more than that I'll rent a car.

If any of the car companies are listening, a good marketing idea might be do a deal with the rental companies for cheap rentals to EV owners.

you can lease a Hyundai Tucson Hydrogen soon. cost is $0 down and $529cdn per month, and hydrogen fuel is included. and all maintenance and roadside assistance included if you run out of gas.This is great if you are on a budget and want to know what you will be shelling monthly for your transportation costs, less insurance.

if you live near one of the refuelling stations coming to Toronto, this could be a good deal. FREE FUEL for the life of your lease, and no silly charging nonsense, no looking for plug in places, longer range than Bolt, longer range than the gas version of the Tucson.
The break even over a gas model is about 30,000KM per year, if you commute this is a no brainer.

I'm happy with range for the Volt, 80KM covers 99% of my trips. If I was to go pure EV, I would probably ask for 200KM range - anything more than that I'll rent a car.

If any of the car companies are listening, a good marketing idea might be do a deal with the rental companies for cheap rentals to EV owners.

In California, Honda and Im sure toyota and others too, not only do they give you $15,000 hydrogen gas card included, but they also include free luxury car rentals for your longer trips included in lease.

Likely will bring that program to Canada too.

More vehicles with modern drivetrains need to look like normal vehicles. Too many are falling prey to the gamer mentality and just look stupid. I don't need RGB lights in my computer and I don't need special ugly wheels on a hybrid. If the wheels measurably increase efficiency (which I doubt) they should be offered as an option (or standard) regardless of powertrain.

I can't speak for the Prius, but the Clarity designers did all they could to cheat the wind resulting in the lowest drag coefficient of any Honda sedan ever produced and its exterior was designed for function. Those cut outs under the rear door? the are functional and serve a purpose as do the rear wheel well covers. The Clarity is so quiet inside that you barely hear any windnoise and they didn't have to add active noise cancellation like most sedans need.

2 things I'm fairly certain of, like most Hondas, they look best in "real life" especially the dark coloured variety, and the Acura quality luxury interior, quality of the materials, spaciousness with seating for 5 adults, and huge rear trunk make this car very compelling.

Something about a US $57k Camry just makes me warm and fuzzy :rolleyes:. I am happy to see more options on the market and hopeful the technology advances quickly but it's certainly not there yet.

Shell is on board, get ready for "green" Hydrogen....

WORLD’S LARGEST HYDROGEN ELECTROLYSIS IN SHELL’S RHINELAND REFINERY

some more smart people working on stuff... https://phys.org/news/2018-01-sun-hydrogen-fuel.html

Edit: boy o boy. the news is coming fast, Quebec too now.... http://canada.autonews.com/article/...en-fuel-cell-mirai-debuts-this-year-in-quebec

Something about a US $57k Camry just makes me warm and fuzzy :rolleyes:. I am happy to see more options on the market and hopeful the technology advances quickly but it's certainly not there yet.

If you study the hydrogen car roll out, none are for sale, only lease. and they are bargain priced, and every company from Honda to toyota to Hyundai is paying for the hydrogen, yes, its FREE along with FREE maintenance and FREE road side assistance. see http://www.hyundaihydrogen.ca/faq/

Like all new technology, and with govt grants, prices will tumble in the years to come. The fact that Quebec, in addition to Toronto is now on board with 2 new hydrogen filling stations will mean roll outs will come even quicker.

Hyundai just released their new Nexo line, a dedicated hydrogen fuel cell vehicle. https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...al-trends-top-tech-of-ces-2018-300583362.html

Hydrogen cars are coming much sooner than the other experts on this thread realize.

they just plain make more sense and people will see this when choosing a Zero emission vehicle. Longer range than electric cars, they work in the Cold with no loss of range and you can use your heater normally without worrying about chewing your battery. 3 to 5 mins refill. No silly waiting hours for charging or hunting for a spot to charge your vehicle.

No brainer here folks.

Last edited:
Oh, the irony.

I hope I’m not the only one who sees it.

If/when a few things happen I will agree with you:

1-Prices for hydrogen powered vehicles comes down, the government grants/rebates won't be here forever (applies to EV as well)
2-Prices for hydrogen significantly decreases, the automakers won't be handing out free fuel forever and I doubt hydrogen will ever be as cheap as electricity
3-There are significantly more hydrogen fueling stations, it won't matter how good the cars are or how free the hydrogen is if its not readily available everywhere

I'm not promoting either EV or Hydrogen just making my own personal observations of the circumstances. If there aren't the above changes then what is best will depend on each individuals needs and it will not be a no brainer.

they just plain make more sense and people will see this when choosing a Zero emission vehicle. Longer range than electric cars, they work in the Cold with no loss of range and you can use your heater normally without worrying about chewing your battery. 3 to 5 mins refill. No silly waiting hours for charging or hunting for a spot to charge your vehicle.

No brainer here folks.

Last edited:
What does this have to do with the Hydrogen Master Race? Why waste our lives discussing antiquated technology. Sheesh

/sarcasm

...did you just make a PCMasterRace reference? lol

Back
Top Bottom