How do you feel about the decline of petrol vehicles? | Page 11 | GTAMotorcycle.com

How do you feel about the decline of petrol vehicles?

I know. I can't speak to commercial or industrial construction, but in residential (eg. condos), they install the minimum legally required capacity with the smallest copper possible that they can get someone to sign off on in the smallest conduit possible.

so true,

one survey with houses that are barely 10 years old, one homeowner wanted to upgrade his house service to 200amps. Hydro sent an engineer and determined that wire at the meter base could only handle 100amps max.

Homeowner was stuck with a $5000 bill to tunnel and engineer a new line from the transformer to his house to accommodate 200amps.

I hope you all considering EV's with 100amp services do your homework first or you could be in for a nasty surprise.

so you have to buy a $2000 gas powered generator to charge your EV since your house was wired under capacity. Ok , I get it now.

As I said in the very beginning .... turning into nice shitfest thread blossoming with fake news. Keep going guys ... LOL

Once again some are conveniently forgetting that people charge their EV's at night when household load is lowest.

Hundreds of thousands of EV owners manage just fine on 100A service as the reality is that the average house is using less than 15-20A on average, and even during times of heavier load rarely exceed 50A. Your standard 30A EVSE only actually draws 24A..so yeah, you're just fine.

I guess we should all buy hydrogen cars so that we can never drive more than 200KM in any direction from that super convenient single Toronto filling station ever again.

Once again some are conveniently forgetting that people charge their EV's at night when household load is lowest.

Hundreds of thousands of EV owners manage just fine on 100A service as the reality is that the average house is using less than 15-20A on average, and even during times of heavier load rarely exceed 50A. Your standard 30A EVSE only actually draws 24A..so yeah, you're just fine.

I guess we should all buy hydrogen cars so that we can never drive more than 200KM in any direction from that super convenient single Toronto filling station ever again.

I think only one person is arguing that single vehicle charging is a big problem. Even if you had a Tesla that could charge at 100A, I suspect that charging it at 50A would rarely affect your life as in either case it would be charged by morning (if your house has <100A service and you are constantly doing 300+ km days with no time or opportunity to stop at a supercharger maybe an electric car wasn't the best choice). According to the Tesla calculator with 48A charge (which the vast majority of houses could support especially at night) it recovers 200 km in less than 4 hours.

Geez defensive or what .....do you even read the thread? You sound exactly like the EV haters a few years back. :rolleyes: It's early for hydrogen but ignoring it and dissing it won't make it go away as the rewards are substantial.

ou lease it for about $3,000 down and $369 a month. Along with the car, Honda gives you a $15,000 credit card to spend on hydrogen fill-ups. And 21 days of petroleum-car rentals for longer trips. And Californians get a $5,000 rebate. And an HOV sticker. Pick up a few weekend driving shifts and going fuel-cell is cheaper than an iPhone upgrade.—Alexander George

Base price: $369 per month (lease only) $479 a month ...fuel included.

Range: 366 miles
585 km
Honda_Clarity_FCV_front.jpg

http://www.popularmechanics.com/car...867/hydrogen-cars-toyota-murai-honda-clarity/

Choice and competition is good.

Geez defensive or what .....do you even read the thread? You sound exactly like the EV haters a few years back. :rolleyes: It's early for hydrogen but ignoring it and dissing it won't make it go away as the rewards are substantial.

585 km
Honda_Clarity_FCV_front.jpg

http://www.popularmechanics.com/car...867/hydrogen-cars-toyota-murai-honda-clarity/

Choice and competition is good.
The cost of hydrogen will be a problem as it will be higher than gasoline and harder to get it is a interesting diversion but will probably never make mass market.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I'm not defensive at all, but I do go through life based on facts vs fantasy, and the facts about Hydrogen (and the Clarity) are:

• People who have driven the Clarity hydrogen report it doesn't get anywhere near it's rated range. Read the article I linked on that topic.
  • Filling infrastructure is limited to 1 (perhaps 2 soon) stations in downtown Toronto, meaning you are on a range tether unless you don't mind towing it home. A road trip is a physical impossibility as the next nearest one is north of Boston, there's one in CT, and a few in SC. Other than that, California.
  • Filling stations cost millions to build, and with only 1 single car in the province, even if that "Baloons" (using the term loosely) to 1000 in a decade filling infrastructure isn't going to exactly expand greatly, so you're still on a tether.
  • Electric car charging stations are easy to install comparatively as the infrastructure (electricity) is already there. You can charge anywhere you can find a plain old 15A receptacle.
  • EV's out number hydrogen cars by somewhere in the range hundreds of thousands to one.
  • Electrically driven vehicles have what few would debate to be an overwhelming lead, and it's only getting bigger by the day.
  • The cost of hydrogen exceeds the cost of gas many times and is being subsidized by the automakers at this point to hide that - that won't continue forever. Electricity, in comparison, is 1/8th to 1/6th the cost of gasoline...today.
  • Using hydrogen to create electricity to drive a car consumes more energy in the bigger picture than just using the electricity alone directly - hydrogen generation is a very "lossy" (energy wasteful) process.

Like it or not, those are all facts.

And yes, competition is great, and as I've said before, I'm not anti-hydrogen, but I AM very much pro-facts.

Last edited:
Make no mistake ... the oil industry would love hydrogen to be the future fuel of choice, because you actually need a station, like gasoline station. And they could see themselves be the supplier who, yet again, you would be dependent on. Lets hope this will never get any significant traction other than special uses where other better alternatives are not available.

Right. Just like EV's get all their rated "claims"

You can diss hydrogen all you want. It's coming quicker than you think.

The current canada Hyundai Tucson hydrogen deal is pretty good. FREE hydrogen and maintenance and roadside assistance for the duration of the lease. $0 down.

With deals like this, I'm sure more filling stations will arrive.

When people realize the benefits of hydrogen motoring you will all realize how silly it really is to go hunting for chargers, have limited charging spots in public and plugging in your car everytime you come home. So dumb!

And that is a FACT

I'm not defensive at all,
Could have fooled us and you ignore entirely that what is in existence now will and is changing ...just as EV is..

but I do go through life based on facts vs fantasy, and the facts about Hydrogen (and the Clarity) are:

People who have driven the Clarity hydrogen report it doesn't get anywhere near it's rated range. Read the article I linked on that topic.
Filling infrastructure is limited to 1 (perhaps 2 soon) stations in downtown Toronto, meaning you are on a range tether unless you don't mind towing it home. A road trip is a physical impossibility as the next nearest one is north of Boston, there's one in CT, and a few in SC. Other than that, California.
Filling stations cost millions to build, and with only 1 single car in the province, even if that "Baloons" (using the term loosely) to 1000 in a decade filling infrastructure isn't going to exactly expand greatly, so you're still on a tether.
Electric car charging stations are easy to install comparatively as the infrastructure (electricity) is already there. You can charge anywhere you can find a plain old 15A receptacle.
EV's out number hydrogen cars by somewhere in the range hundreds of thousands to one.
Electrically driven vehicles have what few would debate to be an overwhelming lead, and it's only getting bigger by the day.
The cost of hydrogen exceeds the cost of gas many times and is being subsidized by the automakers at this point to hide that - that won't continue forever. Electricity, in comparison, is 1/8th to 1/6th the cost of gasoline...today.
Using hydrogen to create electricity to drive a car consumes more energy in the bigger picture than just using the electricity alone directly - hydrogen generation is a very "lossy" (energy wasteful) process.

You ignore all the things presented and persist in pedalling out drivel that if I substituted EV for hydrogen was trotted out over the last decade by the anti-electric vehicle crowd.....well things change and fortunately there are far sighted engineers and governments and car companies that are not interested in your objections and are moving forward with hydrogen as an alternative fuel.

Automobiles will never replace horses, only one filling station, you can feed a horse anywhere .....yada yada....:rolleyes:

Things change ....and these days - far faster than imaginable....and much of this may be moot as autonomous vehicles may make owning your own vehicle marginal.

The current canada Hyundai Tucson hydrogen deal is pretty good. FREE hydrogen and maintenance and roadside assistance for the duration of the lease. $0 down.

When people realize the benefits of hydrogen motoring you will all realize how silly it really is to go hunting for chargers, have limited charging spots in public and plugging in your car everytime you come home. So dumb!

And that is a FACT

Except the FACT that the vast majority of hydrogen available today is stripped off hydrocarbons. If we have hydrocarbons what is the point of wasting energy stripping off the hydrogen atoms?
We don't have enough hydrogen to replace fossil fuels. THAT IS A FACT.
Stripping hydrogen off is an energy intensive endeavor. Currently they use natural gas. Again; if we have natural gas, why are we wasting it's energy stripping off hydrogen?
We could use electricity to strip off hydrogen and then burn it in a 65% efficient ICE, or we could use it to charge a battery. Which one is cheaper?
Greenland or Iceland can economically make hydrogen using geothermal energy. How do we get the HUGE volume of gas from Greenland to my tank here in Ontario?

Let's discuss hydrogen infrastructure.
There is none. Who is to pay for the HUGE investment in infrastructure? Whereas the question of infrastructure of electric cars is; Do I have an extension cord?

I hope you are taking away from this that your hydrogen powered Tuscon is actually a petroleum powered car.
Hows them for FACTS?

...before you start,
yes I know that hydrogen is one of the most prevalent elements in our universe, hydrogen readily forms covalent compounds with most nonmetallic elements so all hydrogen is bonded to something and to free the hydrogen you have to break that bond.

And that is a FACT

Curious, what is the km range for this car? and what is the monthly lease amount and for how many years? What are the km restrictions? thx.
Your statement "how silly it is to go hunting for chargers" makes me smile considering the availability of hydrogen stations today. just saying.

Last edited:
Curious, what is the km range for this car? and what is the monthly lease amount and for how many years? What are the km restrictions? thx.
Your statement "how silly it is to go hunting for chargers" makes me smile considering the availability of hydrogen stations today. just saying.

See post 154 of this thread

Catch a preview - get your sailplane licence up at Arthur :D
http://yorksoaring.com/index.php/take-a-ride/introductory-flight

This was my fav plane in their fleet and I noticed it was in the Smithsonian Aerospace museum.

[video=youtube;kqB9KaN3J6k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqB9KaN3J6k[/video]

Cool bucket list acheivement and a nice ride up to gliderport ( 20 minutes from the Forks ).
Drop in on a fluufy white cloud day and go a flight ....you never know ...you might get hooked.
I did and 40 days later was a solo pilot.

As to space ....well...we're getting there 52,000' - no motor and the goal is 90,000'.

dims

https://www.engadget.com/2017/09/05/glider-sets-altitude-record/

Might even be an EV in the works ;)

29Es-luft-001.jpg

so cool. I always thought the ultimate motorcycle would have wings lol.
EDIT
when I lived in elliot lake, I was watching a guy on the lake with an ancient tiny plane (40's? older?). He was standing on one of the floats turning the prop to start the old girl. Fired after 2/3 tries. awesome. Moving up to the marina I saw an old 250? moto guzzi with the external flywheel...an older gent started up a conversation with me. Offering to show me some other bikes inside the shop he asked me if I knew who giacomo agostini was (was 1980 at the time). I said yes, one of the greatest gp riders. He was quite surprised I knew of him. He went on to tell me that he was an agostini family friend and went to visit with them every couple of years. He came back with the motoguzzi on one of the trips. So anyhow we go in the shop and he shows me an old race bike of giacomo agostini's - complete with stickers on the tank from the different countries gp races . Wow. Was surreal. This was the equivalent of someone showing you one of VR46 old race bikes today. Anyway, I think planes are cool too.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom