How do you feel about the decline of petrol vehicles? | GTAMotorcycle.com

How do you feel about the decline of petrol vehicles?

油井緋色

Site Supporter
For context purpose, I work with an energy management company and have a lot of insider knowledge regarding the world's direction in terms of fossil fuels. Long story short: the combustion engine is going to get killed.

How do you feel about this? For me, I really enjoy shifting on a motorcycle. I also love the vibrations a petrol engine gives off as it lets me know what RPM I'm in and where to shift. There's also something ridiculously fun about redlining lol

All of those things will gone when we switch out of petrol. And if motorcycles are still around (assuming we don't become like horses), they will be electric based.

My feelings are screaming negative thoughts about this, but rationally I understand why we need to get off petrol engines.

It's not going to get extinct if the market demands it

Oh oh ... you realize you are starting 100 page thread with no consensus in the end. Mark my word, that's just how these things end up on-line.

Anyway, of course, I'd agree that electric is the future. But the topic is far too broad and complex from each one of our point of view. In the end, the feelings (a lot of times we assume wrong until we actually go and try it and live it) lose to form and function. Not for everyone, but for most people.

I too thought, I need to row my own gears in a car. Well, years later, no I don't, if the auto tranny is decent enough without being a dog. The same for ICE to electric. I thought I will have to wait for the car I like to get into electric. Wrong too. But it's impossible to explain, you must try to use, and use it in the application and situation it was built for. I can tell you driving a car around one-pedal (not using brake pedal) is not boring, especially with max power and torque on tap ready to go without any shifts. Simplicity rules many times even though we don't want this to be the case in our minds.

If I could (financially not there yet, nor the battery density is there yet), I'd do the same with my bike. Just twist throttle and go. Smooth as butter with power just waiting. What's not to like .... if it's not price.

BTW ... I am sure you will be able to redline your electric bike, I am not sure how practical it will be.

Last edited:

Assuming, the politicians will not throw some laws our way which will basically make the market to change, should the market be taking too long for politicians liking.

If I could (financially not there yet, nor the battery density is there yet), I'd do the same with my bike. Just twist throttle and go. Smooth as butter with power just waiting. What's not to like .... if it's not price.

^^^

Maybe... When a new, decent, electric car is in the 20-30k range with decent mileage per charge.

Thankfully we will all be dead long before gasoline becomes unobtainium. Sure main stream vehicles will continue leaning on electricity but it will take many many decades before gas vehicles become uncommon (and the stations dry up). In rural USA, electric vehicles may never present a viable option for some people due to the distance between houses and infrequent trips to civilization.

Thankfully we will all be dead long before gasoline becomes unobtainium. Sure main stream vehicles will continue leaning on electricity but it will take many many decades before gas vehicles become uncommon (and the stations dry up). In rural USA, electric vehicles may never present a viable option for some people due to the distance between houses and infrequent trips to civilization.

I can't give dates, due to an NDA and gag ****. But we're not gonna be dead. This is a collective world effort because...well...we've sped up global warming to the point where if we don't slow it down, **** gonna hit the fan.

Assuming, the politicians will not throw some laws our way which will basically make the market to change, should the market be taking too long for politicians liking.

Ding ding ding. There are a lot more countries than I thought that are supporting this movement. The reason why it isn't common knowledge yet is because there is a ton of conflict of interest between:

* Lets make tons of money!
* Lets not burn our only home before we figure out how to get off the planet

ICE engines will be around for awhile yet
certainly in HD applications
where there is nothing to supplant high HP diesel power

and also in consumer vehicles, cars
try forcing e-vehicles on some of the huge emerging middle classes in developing countries
India and Nigeria come to mind....they are gonna be oil burners until the end of this century
not even close to thinking about the infrastructure required to support e-cars

for developed countries, I see a mix of ICE and electric power as a good thing
for both the environment and to extend the life of petroleum reserves for future generations

Hope I live long enough to see it, hope they realize electric vehicles are still better with a clutch and a transmission regardless of that crap about them having 100% torque right from the get go and I hope my F350 dually diesel lasts forever. If gasoline does become extinct, I'm going to be buying a lot of paint thinner.

The push has been for combustion engines to be phased out by 2030 for new production vehicles, I don't quite think that's going to happen in reality (it's only 12 model years away) but I'd say by 2040 it's likely and 2050 is almost for sure. Anything with combustion engines on the road will only be "legacy" vehicles by that time - nothing new.

It wouldn't trouble me to have electric power for the daily-driver vehicles, but electric motorcycles at this point don't interest me at all.

I really hope that the transition to electric vehicles happens because the auto manufacturers build vehicles that people want but which so happen to be electric (and Tesla is a good example of this) - as opposed to having electric vehicles that we don't want being rammed down our throats.

There is promise for this. I've got my own NDA situations to respect, but there are some pretty neat electric vehicles in the pipeline.

If the changeover to (mostly) electric vehicles happens because the manufacturers build electric vehicles that people want, there is hope that combustion engines won't actually have to be banned for the changeover to happen.

Right now the main objection to electric vehicles is the recharging infrastructure. No question there is work to do. We know how to do it, it just needs to get done. The situation has gotten a lot better in the last couple of years. My opinion / prediction - In another 3 - 5 years there should be enough recharging stations to get you pretty much anywhere in populated areas (the extreme north will be a challenge). By 2030 (and probably before that for most people) "range anxiety" will be a thing of the past.

Meh. As long as they make the new ones big enough to fit the family. My dreams of a car enthusiast's life were crushed when my dad sold the purple people eater convertible he bought for my mom, just before I turned 16.

I can see a lot of duplication of discussion in this thread vs the EV thread.

That's gonna be a little frustrating.

Will this even affect motorcycles? They use so little gas and so few people even ride them, I can imagine some loophole wouldn't be reasonable to exclude them from mandatory EV before cars at-least.

Will this even affect motorcycles? They use so little gas

My VTX1300 uses more fuel for every 100KM than my Chevy Volt does when running solely on gas, electric aside. Most decent sized motorcycles burn more than a Prius on a per 100/KM basis.

When you compare the weight and size difference between a motorcycle and a vehicle, you start to grasp how bad the fuel economy is on a motorcycle actually, so that statement isn't really true.

My VTX1300 uses more fuel for every 100KM than my Chevy Volt does when running solely on gas, electric aside. Most decent sized motorcycles burn more than a Prius on a per 100/KM basis.

When you compare the weight and size difference between a motorcycle and a vehicle, you start to grasp how bad the fuel economy is on a motorcycle actually, so that statement isn't really true.

I suppose the weight to MPG does make sense, but there are so few on the road, it wouldn't be a very effective measure to go after them before cars atleast when looking at the gross amount of motos vs cars.

Won't happen.

With all the electricity required to run bitcoin mining machines, there will be none left for electric cars!

politicians*will only make change if they can make money on it....u can take that to the bank.:agave:

Recharging batteries is a pain. I don't even like to recharge my phone! Batteries will start to loose their capacity year by year. Even with best use, they need to be replaced every whatever years. Recycling them is a pain for the environment. A damage to batteries due to an accident or something turns electric car into a bomb! I think currently its too early until new kind of betteries come to market. Companies like Tesla are making good money with people being too excited getting future technology! Buying a car that owner can't even really travel with it!! Hybrid cars make better sense.

^^^

Yawn, here we go all over again with the preconceived notions and false information.

Back
Top Bottom