How do you feel about the decline of petrol vehicles? | Page 16 | GTAMotorcycle.com

How do you feel about the decline of petrol vehicles?

2ae45efbe6109b235cef94ac1b187a6b.png

Can’t escape the facts.

Last edited:
What will further spur fuel cells and Hydrogen as we move to a "zero emission" future, is their mulitiple uses that pure electric just can't match. heavy machinery, forklifts, trains, buses, etc.

even smaller items that require electricity/battery can be run by a fuel cell.

What will further spur fuel cells and Hydrogen as we move to a "zero emission" future, is their mulitiple uses that pure electric just can't match. heavy machinery, forklifts, trains, buses, etc.

even smaller items that require electricity/battery can be run by a fuel cell.

I don't understand, there are fully electric forklifts now.

3 min refill, vs leaving it stationary for hours at a time charging equals less down time and more production.

no brainer folks.

They already have 3 minute recharge now. Battery swap with a full one. It's really hard to overcome to cost of Hydrogen no matter how sexy it is.

They already have 3 minute recharge now. Battery swap with a full one. It's really hard to overcome to cost of Hydrogen no matter how sexy it is.

and who's to say warehouse forklifts are the only ones around? lots of construction forklifts, shipyards, outdoor type work. etc.

no brainer here folks.

The hydrogen refueling station that I'm aware of, was in an industrial/commercial application and it was installed about 5 or 6 years ago.

I know what to look for and where on Google Maps. Certain distinctive-looking parts of the installation have to be outside. That one installation is still there.

None of their other facilities that I know the location of (and there are several), have adopted it.

and who's to say warehouse forklifts are the only ones around? lots of construction forklifts, shipyards, outdoor type work. etc.

no brainer here folks.

Electric forklift scales up quite well.
Batteries make a great counter weight.

Most trains are diesel/electric. Lots of trains are fully electric... just not in North America.
A large part of mining equipment is electric.

Forklifts for the most part haven't even seen the need to use modern battery technology. Lead-acid is "good enough".

There are foreseeable applications for hydrogen (and fuel cells) where the higher (triple) input energy cost may be accepted. For most cases ... especially if you want to use renewable electricity sources ... no one is going to want, nor pay for, three times as many solar cells or three times as many windmills, nevermind paying for the hydrogen distribution infrastructure which currently doesn't exist.

All this bickering about practicality, costs, infrastructure, battery swapouts/charge time, what will replace gasoline taxes, where hydrogen will come from etc suggests to me that the imminent reports of the demise of the ICE are greatly exaggerated.

They're going to have a place in society for quite some time yet. It will be fun to watch other technologies emerge and mature. In the meantime I'll continue to enjoy experiencing and reading about my favorite prime mover moving into its most-ever refined state (even if it's the late summer or early autumn of its existence) powering everything from Tuonos to H2Rs to 911 GT2 RSs to Demons and ZR1s.

Pedal power for all!

^^^ The above sarcastic comment has not reduced the quality of this discussion by even a shred.

Carry on.

Nuclear powered makes the most sense. Just needs a little miniaturization here....a little media spin there....and a never mind the side products to end. Unless we get a fusion engine....then all will be well.

All this bickering about practicality, costs, infrastructure, battery swapouts/charge time, what will replace gasoline taxes, where hydrogen will come from etc suggests to me that the imminent reports of the demise of the ICE are greatly exaggerated.

Depends on if government starts to tax ICE out of existence. If they decide to do that, once alternatives have reached a point of maturity where they are legitimate options for 100% of the population, then I genuinely think you'll start to see gas taxes become so onerous that despite continued availability, it's going to become too expensive to continue to use it vs the alternatives.

There was an interesting article that came out a few days ago with regards to peak oil, and how the emergence of EV's as a dominant force in transportation is pushing peak oil's date forward, and in the years ahead, they expect that to get pushed WAY forward.

So yes, there will be lots of oil for the foreseeable future, which is really good since oil is used for so many millions of other things that people don't even think about on a daily basis, fuel aside, but I'm confident you'll see "wasteful" use (burning it for transportation) slowly fade away.

Anyhow, as for hydrogen in forklifts and such, as was mentioned, good old fashioned lead acid is actually preferred as forklifts need thousands of pounds of counterweight, and lead acid batteries just happen to be really good at weighing a lot.

Many other "off-road/yard" applications typically use propane - cheap, well established infrastructure in delivered cylinders, or on-site refilling even, and clean.

As for the battery change time on a forklift, 60 seconds and you're done.

[video=youtube;A50J0YCWGcI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A50J0YCWGcI[/video]

Last edited:
As usual, the europeans will lead in the hydrogen race. north americans, will just stick with their north american thinking til they catch on.

in case you missed the link, worlds largest hydrogen plant by Shell is in the works. the ultimate goal is to produce hydrogen with renewable electricity.

its ok though, it won't happen, all those experts quoted in the article and all that money invested, they must be wrong. *sigh*

http://www.itm-power.com/news-item/worlds-largest-hydrogen-electrolysis-in-shells-rhineland-refinery
I think you might misunderstand what Shell is doing. Shell needs 180kilo tons of hydrogen for petroleum refinery, this adds <1% to that capacity using electrolysis (that's basically a science fair project for Shell).

This has zero to do with hydrogen cars or fuel cells other than it's funded by a government Hydrogen Development program that also provides funds for fuel cell technology.

Here you go

The World’s First Production-Ready Flying Car Is Finally Here

AeroMobil is set to unveil their flying car at the Top Marques car show in Monaco on April 20.
By becoming the first commercially available flying vehicle to date, we can expect the two-seater car/plane hybrid to change the way we travel forever.
AEROMOBIL

SciFi visions of the future are usually defined by key technologies: lasers, time travel, and — more often than not — flying cars. Now, AeroMobil is finally bringing fiction to reality following the announcement of the world’s first flying car.

AeroMobil_World_Premiere2017_Digital_Bridge-1-1200x675.jpg

The vehicle, a two-seater powered by hybrid propulsion, combines aero and car functionality seamlessly and will become the first commercially available flying car. Granted, the vehicle isn’t specifically designed to just be airborne, but that’s precisely what gives it better functionality. It affords users the option to drive on land or pilot the vehicle in the air.

1200x1200

and it's hybrid ;)

https://press.aeromobil.com/world-p...eration-flying-car-at-top-marques-monaco-2017

According to a 2011 study by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory and the University of California, Berkeley, the currently estimated reserve base of lithium should not be a limiting factor for large-scale battery production for electric vehicles because an estimated 1 billion 40 kWh Li-based batteries could be built with current reserves[SUP][92][/SUP] - about 10 kg of lithium per car.[SUP][93][/SUP] Another 2011 study at the University of Michigan and Ford Motor Company found enough resources to support global demand until 2100, including the lithium required for the potential widespread transportation use. The study estimated global reserves at 39 million tons, and total demand for lithium during the 90-year period analyzed at 12–20 million tons, depending on the scenarios regarding economic growth and recycling rates

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium

Why do you have to spoil the fun of making up facts, how Lithium reserves will somehow have anything to do with stopping transition to BEV's? ... not very nice of you. So much easier to find an on-line website claiming otherwise.

I am not going to even suggest that Li-Ion batteries from cars are recyclable. Meaning, elements can be re-used or batteries useful lifespan can be extended by using them in less power hungry applications, like powerwalls ... number of OEM's are already doing so. Most of the estimates do not even take that into consideration.

Out of all the elements, I thought the naysayers would pick cobalt ... since this is the poster child of oil lobbyists presentations (Or rather DR Congo), usually anyways.

I know, so much better to go to traditional looking and operating fuel station, and put x amount of litres/kg of something into my fuel tank. Surely we will all will miss it dearly.

Fake news.... ICE's are going anywhere.

Fake news.... ICE's are going anywhere.

What sector do you work in? There's at least 1 other person in this thread who works in the related industry and we've both heard/seen the same thing.

I mean normally if you're going to make a statement, you should at least back strengthen it's validity with some kind of rationality....

Back
Top Bottom