June 7 2018 Ontario Election | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

June 7 2018 Ontario Election

I dunno. I keep coming back to the idea that this could be just the right set of circumstances the party needs to push it to coming together and cleansing out some of its more offensive (to voters) ideologies.

What Fedell's said about the depth of the problems is a hard but important statement to make publicly. It's exactly the kind of thing that would encourage and promote the kind of cleansing the party needs. Also the fact that no internal grudges are being fought in public (yet) means they're keeping the crisis under control for now.

Yeah, what does the NDP look like this year?

I was less than impressed by the way the Brown situation was handled. I saw it, as a group who saw an opportunity to seize leadership, in spite of the the cost.

You would hope that someone in that party recognizes that only an old style "Progressive Conservative" candidate and platform has a chance of winning in Ontario....
I think I agree. I think a few lessons can be learned from guy's like Ford (RIP) and Trump. If I were running, I'd look for some populist messages and publicly resist pandering to labor and lobby groups. My messages:

1) Drain the swamp - reduce the size of provincial government
2) Cut taxes
3) Streamline regulatory processes
4) Fix auto insurance, fix electricity generation/distribution
5) Amalgamate school boards
6) Move as many non-governmental services as possible to a competitive private sector (LCBO, Ontario Hydro)
7) Reclaim the 407

MM I like your thoughts, and I'm on side with all of it however in my view mentioning reducing gov't size in the province, amalgamating school boards and such would get you Hudak'ed
He talked about trimming civil servants, possibly not realizing the enormous percentage tied to the trough. nurses/doctors/police/teachers/firefighters/town,municipal,city,province workers are all remotely connected and once the fear of cuts comes, right idea or not they vote as a group.

I think I agree. I think a few lessons can be learned from guy's like Ford (RIP) and Trump. If I were running, I'd look for some populist messages and publicly resist pandering to labor and lobby groups. My messages:

2) Cut taxes
6) Move as many non-governmental services as possible to a competitive private sector (LCBO, Ontario Hydro)
7) Reclaim the 407

You wouldn’t win in Ontario.

6. Privatize

7. Take back something that was privatized because it didn't turn out well

Ok

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Just work on 2 & 4 would be enough. Keep the rest on the down low, which some of I agree with. But very tough in Ontario as that is a minefield.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Just work on 2 & 4 would be enough. Keep the rest on the down low, which some of I agree with. But very tough in Ontario as that is a minefield.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
I agree with your take. Those other items could be thrown out as trial balloons once in power.

2) Cut taxes
7) Reclaim the 407

As far as unions and labour go you just don't want to pick a fight (all about math), roughly 1/4 of all workers in Ontario are in a union and best guess that represents 40 to 50% of all households, can't win by picking a fight with almost half the voters.

1) Lots of these workers are in a union, see above, see Tim Hudak.... no need to pick a fight.
2) Trickle Down economics is proven not to work (but remains right wing dogma). This will only increase Ontario's debt, but voters are stupid so it may work as election rhetoric.
3) YES, this is really required regarding the cost to employ people in this province. Has to be done right...
4) YES, YES and YES.
5) Needs to be done BUT you just lost all the Catholic votes... has to be a hidden agenda (although 58% in recent polls want it gone so maybe...). Also have to admit the PCs were wrong when they created the mess (full funding under Bill Davis in 1985--cost them that election).
6) NO! Why sell off assets that contribute to the coffers and therefore lower our tax burden just for dogma. Misnomer is that the private sector is always more efficient, this is not always the case and when it is a monopoly definitely not. Works for things like garbage collection (easily change contract at expiry, they have to keep efficient), not for things like Hydro (or 407) where there is infrastructure, no reason to be any more efficient than today, they will just cry to raise the rates--again 407 as a prime example. If they are losing money today they have no value, if they are making money and paying into the coffers it means we have lower taxes and selling them just means higher taxes (and/or bigger debt) the year after the sale.
7) Conflicts with your 6! PCs would also have to admit they were wrong to sell it off for a song. It is a prime example of how the private sector lowers the cost for the people of Ontario...NOT. But it should be a YES.

Last edited:
Saw an interesting Brown article in the Toronto Sun, refuting CTV's stuff.

The crap will continue until people learn English comprehension and basic math.

We misuse too many words and misunderstand too many concepts.

We don't have free medicare. It's taxpayer funded.

The government doesn't have money and doesn't give grants. The government takes taxpayer money and grants taxpayer money to chosen people.

The government doesn't give your special interest group money They give your special interest group taxpayer money and next week they take yours and give it to someone else.

People have to learn basic math. As was pointed out under Hudak you can't fire more employees than you have.

Wynne's lower hydro costs are math BS. Your grandchildren won't be able to keep you in diapers.

Privatization only helps when there is competition. Build another toll road parallel to the 407 and see what happens to rates.

Our insurance rates are due to fraud. Aren't our police supposed to fight fraud?

The way i see it, it's partially funded by your taxes, and partially paid with time wasted, waiting to see a Dr or being on a waitlist

The crap will continue until people learn English comprehension and basic math.

The government doesn't have money and doesn't give grants. The government takes taxpayer money and grants taxpayer money to chosen people.

The government doesn't give your special interest group money They give your special interest group taxpayer money and next week they take yours and give it to someone else.

Does anyone actually not know this? I feel everyone from like Grade 9 and up figures this out... Government collects tax money into a pool then distributes it towards policy goals/initiatives/programs.

The way i see it, it's partially funded by your taxes, and partially paid with time wasted, waiting to see a Dr or being on a waitlist

Definitely paid with time....
I went to the emergency last night with a deeply cut finger, needed stitches... waited about 4 hours to get it done.
There were plenty of people who didn't need to be there, 2 thinking they had heart attacks, another with a headache.....<sigh>

Does anyone actually not know this? I feel everyone from like Grade 9 and up figures this out... Government collects tax money into a pool then distributes it towards policy goals/initiatives/programs.

I still haven't figured out how government works. I pay it to do things but I have no receipts or description of what they are actually doing with the money.. I am being a little silly here... but actually...

I don't understand why there isn't more transparency with the government. Like we collect xx taxes used for xx things... etc.
Maybe there is this info someplace. Not sure I never really looked into it. It just seems like it info isn't forthcoming.

Back
Top Bottom