Dunlop vs Metzler Tires | GTAMotorcycle.com

Dunlop vs Metzler Tires

ALD

I am having to replace my tires on my 2003 VStar 1100 by the spring, currently that is on the bike is Dunlop and found they wore out fairly quick.
Looked at Metzler and noticed a big difference in the tread pattern vs my Dunlop ones, any thoughts on Metzler about performance, traction & wear.

Thank you

a forum specific to your bike may provide better info
looks to be a few of them for V Star 1100

personally I avoid both those brands
but I ride a very different bike

GENERALLY SPEAKING - for a premium grade tire (not the rim protectors that come on new bikes) Dunlops are less expensive than Metzlers.
Is there an appreciable performance or longevity difference ? I don't think so.
'New' anything is better than old.

You may want to specify which particular model you're inquiring about.
This is the most important question here.

Within each brand, they sell models that have widely varying characteristics from wet weather control to longevity. I used to have a set of the Metzler 880's on my Yamaha Virago 1100 and I don't think I've ever had a tire that lasted that long. The trade-off was that they took longer to warm up, which wasn't a big deal considering the type of bike they were on or the type of riding I was doing on them. They were amazing for long distance riding and mile munching.

And as mentioned - go to a V-Star specific forum to get relevant advice. http://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/19-wheels-tires/

Don’t know what kind of riding you do or how many Kms you travel.

A fellow rider who is retired and rides pretty regular but, doesn’t try to cross the province or do long distance, swears by Shinko for long lasting and reasonable priced tires.

Pretty sure you can find the appropriate sizing for you bike on their web site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

=shanekingsley;2541620.............. I used to have a set of the Metzler 880's on my Yamaha Virago 1100 and I don't think I've ever had a tire that lasted that long. The trade-off was that they took longer to warm up, which wasn't a big deal considering the type of bike they were on or the type of riding I was doing on them. They were amazing for long distance riding and mile munching.

As above, Metzler makes tires that are long lasting, but not really well regarded for cornering. They also make fairly sticky tires that corner well, but don't last nearly as long. Look at the sidewall of both tires and get the model number of the tire you have and then you'll have to decide if you want to replace it with the same or not. If you want to change tires then what mix of cost, longevity, cornering and wet weather handling is best for you. Your bike specific forum will help, but you'll find that like oil threads everyone has a different opinion of what's the best tire. I've had OEM Dunlops (garbage tire), Bridgestone 20, 23, T30 and T30 Evo, Metzeler Z6, Avon Storms and Storm Ultra over the years. One thing I recommend is to keep a tire log of km when it goes on and off + your impression of the tire as no one remembers this specific info 2 or 3 years later.

I switched from Dunlops to Metzlers on my Mean Streak last year. The riding characteristics changed pretty dramatically. Cornering on the ME880's doesn't feel as quick as the Dunlops (can't remember what model they were). No idea of longevity yet on the Metz since I didn't get a lot of riding in last year.

For regular street riding I like the ones that have the dual compound design where the middle of the tire has harder longer wearing rubber compound and the sides are theoretically softer compound for improved cornering performance. For everything else the softer and stickier the rubber the better, a hard tire that wears forever is not a good performer in the rain or for competitive type riding, I'll live with the fast tire wear if it means the bike handles better and is noticeably safer on the wet. Soft compound tires are also far superior on gravel when you have occasion to ride gravel roads, for me it is unavoidable. If you have multiple tires right in front of you even of the same make and model, you can test how hard or soft the rubber is by just pressing a key into the rubber, if it leaves an indentation easy that is a soft rubber compound tire, if it is impossible to make even a tiny impression on the surface of the rubber :/ I pass on that tire, it is either too hard to use or old stock and the rubber has dried out.

One other thing to take note of in addition to the tire make and model is the country of origin that is sometimes imprinted on the sidewall, I have ridden Pirelli tires stamped manufactured in Spain and the same tire stamped made in the USA was an inferior performing tire. Possibly it was just older stock but probably it was a completely different rubber formulation. ymmv

I've heard where tire sponsor racers actually get to go into a warehouse full of tires and feel the goods, then they can put their mark on the tires they want to race on, consumers like you and I get the leftovers.

As above, Metzler makes tires that are long lasting, but not really well regarded for cornering.

Look at the bike he's riding. It's a full on cruiser. Cruisers generally aren't worried about cornering with a maximum 25-35 degree lean angle.

Metzler motorcycle tires are made by Pirelli.
A lot of tires sold in Canada come thru Parts Canada. Parts Canada is notorious for not rotating stock. When I was sponsored by Avon I would buy tires from my supplier and Avon would send them direct to me. It was the only way that I could get fresh tires.
I now buy my Avon tyres out of Britain.

Look at the bike he's riding. It's a full on cruiser. Cruisers generally aren't worried about cornering with a maximum 25-35 degree lean angle.
Maybe he can get some really pretty sparks grinding the running boards off in the dark.

I just found a post where people are running 4.5" General Altimax HP 195/65/15 on that bike :lmao: that's a car tire! They must be going for serious high milage over cornering ability.

True, but it was a general comment. I know people on sport touring bikes who do 30,000+ miles a year and use the Metzler 880. They have consciously selected this tire for longevity and less hassle on long trips vs. cornering capability.

I run Harley Dunflops and they can get 20k-25k out of them.

I don’t get a lot of opportunity to scrub the sides much as I’m usually two up with the wife on leisurely riding along gentle sweepers at posted speed limits or below. Being a cruiser and all.

The Buell will burn through a Bridgestone battlax in about 10k to 15k. Again A lot of flat top but, maybe a little more spirited pace.

This thread interests me. I have a 2012 HD Electra Glide and the tires need to be replaced for this season. I am temped to replace them with the stock tires (Dunlops) as I am a new rider and don't want to switch things up too much. The only concern is rain.

This thread interests me. I have a 2012 HD Electra Glide and the tires need to be replaced for this season. I am temped to replace them with the stock tires (Dunlops) as I am a new rider and don't want to switch things up too much. The only concern is rain.

The tough one about HD touring tires is, for every person that praises a given tire, there will be another that will show something negative.

The reality is, there are a huge number of touring HD out there, no matter what the brand, they will all have reports of new replacements that went bad for one reason or another.

Elite 4s are common and many ride in terrible conditions and have decent traction. Wear is always variable but, I’m not aware of any clear cut brand that outlasts everyone else.

A fella will complain about chewing through rear tires but, you observe how they ride and notice they only use the rear brake.

The irony of complaining they need to replace a rear tire makes me chuckle.

Avon Cobras stick well and might be on the pricy side and might be a little harder to find. Those that ride with them, swear by them. But I never hear anyone brag about how many miles they get out of them.

The other common touring tires for HD are Commander II and ME 888.

Personally, it’s what ever is on sale for me but, I don’t have a touring bike. Just most of my riding buddies.

So take that for what it’s worth. Good luck!

Hey Nakkers thanks for the input. This is partly why I might just replace with stock tires so I can have my own baseline experience then move onto or keep the same. But your right what is on sale is a nice factor :p

Back
Top Bottom