Yamaha v-star 650 rear fender replacement (from bobber back to passenger seat) | GTAMotorcycle.com

Yamaha v-star 650 rear fender replacement (from bobber back to passenger seat)

mars

Hey Forum,

Happy New Year!

Just upgraded to a Yamaha V-star 650 2005 and the previous owner was in the process of converting her to a bobber. The previous owner has sold the original fender and passenger seat.

I want to be able to have a passenger and I found a rear fender from a 2001 model. I’m wondering if anyone knows if this would work and if not do you have any recommendations?

Cheers,

Mars

I don't follow cruisers, so all I can tell is what this article says: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_DragStar_650

Bike has been the same since 1997 so that's not an issue. A bigger issue appears to be whether you are dealing with a "Custom" or a "Classic". It's highly likely that the base bike underneath the skin is the same, but it's possible (I have no idea whether it's actually the case) that you can't freely mix and match seats and fenders and related parts between the two.

hey @Brian-P, thanks for the reply. I don't have any either. I'm upgrading from a Ninja 250r.

The links helps a lot. From the article, it appears (to me anyways) the difference between the "Custom" and "Classic" are cosmetic; my understanding of it seems the "Custom" becomes the "Classic" once you all the extra cosmetic pieces. I'd gather, since they share the same frame, the mounting holes are all probably there.

Can anyone with cruiser experience shed some light?

Cutom and classic models have different fenders, but shared mounts. The fender will fit.
You didn't by chance get it in Barrie from a guy named Chris did you?

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

hey @Iceman, thanks for the reply, it's good to know they share the same mounts. No, I got it from a guy in Newmarket.

Wheels are different too. Easiest way to tell if it is a Custom vs. Classic is footpegs or floorboards. Classics and Silverado's have floorboards. Custom's have footpegs.

The seat material was a bit different between the models, but that was usually the first thing to go when the customizing begins... so.

@LPakkala thanks for the reply. Didn't know about the footpegs vs floorboards — good to know. Now is just a case of finding a rear fender as the one I was looking at didn't pan out.

Back
Top Bottom