Is this a good deal/price? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is this a good deal/price?

Somehow a thread asking about the price of a bike turned into both another ABS debate and another small bikes debate. Might as well start debating the merits of Rotella T and DuPont Multilube to complete the thread.

How old are you?
I'm 23 and was quoted for the same through Dalton Timmis, 152 (1824/yr) for full coverage, and 119 (1428/yr) without collision.
What's recommended for a new motorcycle (6.1k non-financed)?
I was advised to not get collision by numerous people, even the broker..

24 taking just 1mill liability and theft coverage, 119 looks like a good price for ~6k bike.

Congrats. Nice bike. Wish my bikes had ABS when it rains.

Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quoting motorcycle insurance rates by the month is a crock unless you can buy one months worth of insurance, it's just their way to reduce the sticker shock. Read the details of what the collision coverage actually covers, if it excludes 'upset' or some similar term then it basically does not cover you just dropping the bike because you can't ride well enough, what it does cover is your ability to place a claim with your own company instead of the company covering the guy who ran you over.
Not all ABS systems are created equal, most make regular maintenance slightly more complicated. It's a nanny feature, like a rev limiter, if you are using your brakes correctly you will probably never know the ABS is even there, if you never over-rev your engine you will never know that your motor has a rev limiter.

My process for whether or not I'm adding collision, is A) what is the bike worth B) whats covered C) How much is it adding to my cost of ownership

ie; I owned an expensive fully faired Duc, falling off the side stand in the drive could be 3K+ booboo.

my 73 BMW, worth 2,500 on a good day, not putting collision on, hard to hurt it tipping over

my usual reason for collision is regardless of what happens in an accident, my product gets fixed/replaced. Its a comfort level for me when the bike is over the 10k mark in cost.

If you`re a bigger guy you may want to try a 500CC instead because the frames are larger, power won't be much more noticeable.

I don't get why people say this. The riders triangle is marginally different when comparing the same style of bike. A bigger guy just needs a different style of bike all together (bars, seat, foot position)...not engine size.

May I know why? I'm a new rider, or soon to be once the snow melts :D

-

Also congrats on the bike OP!
Recently purchased a brand new '16 Ninja 300 ABS KRT model for 6k out the door. Not the greatest deal on Earth but it was worth the peace of mind for me.

You'll love it! Hopefully you'll have have the ABS kick in but if it does and saves you one wheel lock up/crash, it's worth the $500 difference.

If you ever get bored of riding the 300 on the street, just take it to the track. You'll never be bored and always be challenged.

I'll be downgrading from my 600 this year to a small bike for the street. They're loads of fun.

I don't get why people say this. The riders triangle is marginally different when comparing the same style of bike. A bigger guy just needs a different style of bike all together (bars, seat, foot position)...not engine size.

Maybe people say this because its true? Yes the ergos are similar however a taller rider will likely be more comfortable on a CBR500R rather than the CBR300R because it's longer and taller which helps out your arms and legs. A friend of mine feels more cramped up on the 300R and the frame sliders actually interfere with his knees, not so on the 500R.

Can't and won't talk about other models. My mistake for not specifying in my OP.

Sounds like you really want ABS.

Why?

I hate ABS on motorcycles.
I would never buy a bike with ABS or if I did, I would have to be able to completely disable it.

My wife's SV has ABS and I absolutely hate it.

Only reasons you would hate ABS on a street bike:
1. You ride on dirt/gravel often
2. You mash your brakes as if you were on the track (have fun getting rear ended)
3. You plan on stunting (in which case, you wouldn't buy an ABS equipped bike in the first place)

In the 4 years of having an ABS equipped bike, I've had it go off unintentionally twice - Once when someone made a right turn in front of me from the middle lane, and once during Gymkhana practice on wet pavement.

Curious where this hate comes from and if you've actually experienced ABS activating...

OP - You have a pretty decent deal especially if you're buying from a dealer. You'll start to see those prices climb closer to Spring though.

Last edited:
Congratulations on the new bike! There is nothing like that first bike feeling so savor it! You will read a lot of guys here who jumped to a bigger bike as soon as they could, and hell I was one of those guys back in the day and I can honestly say it isn't worth it. Ride the small bike as long as you can. $130/mo is a fair chunk of money to pay out for bike insurance and you can realistically only go so fast on the street anyway before you start to get acquainted with Johnny Law. These newer 300cc bikes are LIGHT YEARS ahead of the crappy 250's that were available back in the 90's. I wouldn't even worry about how much it will depreciate etc now that the 400cc's are coming out as you will still not lose as much $$ when you do sell it as you would if you bought the 400cc new and sold it the same amount of time later. In my 21yrs of riding I've noticed most bikes only depreciate so much and then they basically hold at a certain price for as long as they are certified and descent looking. The closer you start to that "holding" number the less you will lose.

Enjoy it and stay safe!

Only reasons you would hate ABS on a street bike:
1. You ride on dirt/gravel often
2. You mash your brakes as if you were on the track (have fun getting rear ended)
3. You plan on stunting (in which case, you wouldn't buy an ABS equipped bike in the first place)

In the 4 years of having an ABS equipped bike, I've had it go off unintentionally twice - Once when someone made a right turn in front of me from the middle lane, and once during Gymkhana practice on wet pavement.

Curious where this hate comes from and if you've actually experienced ABS activating...

OP - You have a pretty decent deal especially if you're buying from a dealer. You'll start to see those prices climb closer to Spring though.

I've never used ABS or TCS. I don't think the guys spouting hate about TCS or ABS have a clue. It's likely an ego + ignorance though. It's like the guys playing racing sims bashing at others having any aids on; we all know the top racers use aids.

I've only had a major highside and lowside once each; ABS would've saved the highside for sure, TCS would have saved the lowside.

anything that can help get you slowed down fast
so you can have a chance of steering out of a collision
is an obvious technical advantage over hoping you can do it yourself

TCS I don't see as being as important
the T, you are in control of yourself
it's not something an idiot in a car forces you to contend with

When I ride my wife's SV, The ABS kicks in at almost every stop. There is always ripples or bumps leading up to any stop sign or stop light.
I grew up at age 6 riding motocross.
Backing it into corners is a given with me.

Threshold braking is not so hard with experience.

If I am heading into impending doom. I will threshold brake until it becomes apparent I must slide the rear end in a way to avoid physical injury.

I always want the ability to slide my rear end where ever I wish to.

One day my wife and I were out Sunday riding.
She with ABS and I without.

She was about 8 bike lengths behind me.

We were approaching a stop light. As I got close, it went yellow.
I was pretty close to the white stop line, and she was not.
I decided for her safety, to stop.

I stopped before the white line. I saw her fly past me with a horrified look on her face as she jammed on both brakes, but kept going well into the intersection.
In this case, I believe ABS put her at risk. After the ride, I asked her if I could disconnect it for her.

She declined.
When I ride her SV, I really do enjoy it.
It is a beautifully fun bike.
Except when I stop with it.

And for you doubters, I have 48 years experience.

This is always a had issue to stand up to, because I am one of the few who believe ABS is bad on a bike, and I am the only one who will defend my opinion on a public board.

I have many friends who believe ABS is wrong on a motorcycle.

I have a right to my opinion. And I don't care how many of you think I am wrong.

I hate ABS on recreational motorcycles.

Last edited:
When I ride my wife's SV, The ABS kicks in at almost every stop. There is always ripples or bumps leading up to any stop sign or stop light.

If I am heading into impending doom. I will threshold brake until it becomes apparent I must slide the rear end in a way to avoid physical injury.

I stopped before the white line. I saw her fly past me with a horrified look on her face as she jammed on both brakes, but kept going well into the intersection.
In this case, I believe ABS put her at risk. After the ride, I asked her if I could disconnect it for her.

She declined.

This is always a had issue to stand up to, because I am one of the few who believe ABS is bad on a bike, and I am the only one who will defend my opinion on a public board.

I have a right to my opinion. And I don't care how many of you think I am wrong.

Yes the sv has outdated crappy abs. any newer bike with good abs is night and day better i can turn the rear abs off at any time i want to.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

She declined.

That SV's ABS is completely fried, might want to get it checked out in case it completely prevents breaking and causes you or your wife to ride into an intersection...

ABS only kicks in when the wheel is about to completely stop spinning, you can slam on the breaks as hard as you want and ABS won't turn on unless the wheel is about to start locking up.

ABS or not, the reaction time of the rider is needed.
I have been riding over 26 years on the street and to date I haven't owned a bike with ABS. Not that I am trying to avoid this safety net. I would like to feel I am good on the brakes, but the safety net of ABS is a good idea and I am sure it will be on my next bike.

I know it’s taking away from the thread debating ABS.

Got my experience in dirt and agree some bikes that have it can be a hinderance.

But I also ride with folks that ride bikes like they drive cars. And would panic at the first wiggle they experience from the handle bars or back end getting lose.

And asphalt isn’t the same as dirt. Front end washes out in dirt, dust yourself off and climb back on. Lock the front wheel on asphalt and dump it, could mean serious injury.

For “most” modern bikes I’d say abs has improved to the point I’d rather have it than not. Backing in a bike is one thing but, dealing with a left turning vehicle or poor traction conditions such as wet asphalt can lead to many getting ham fisted. Including myself.

I can wield a dirt bike or enduro with relative skill but, some machines can be heavy and with a passenger can make for a challenging time modulating the threshold before lock up.

When ever it’s a noob starting out, I recommend abs.

For old school seasoned riders, we can agree to disagree over a pint at the local pub.

At least until we get into politics. Lol. Kidding!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
'cause on your commute to work or on the way to the cottage you always 'back it in' , its natural.......

That SV's ABS is completely fried, might want to get it checked out in case it completely prevents breaking and causes you or your wife to ride into an intersection...

ABS only kicks in when the wheel is about to completely stop spinning, you can slam on the breaks as hard as you want and ABS won't turn on unless the wheel is about to start locking up.

Um. Hello. Not a newb. I know it is functioning completely as designed.

But thank you.

I know it’s taking away from the thread debating ABS.

Got my experience in dirt and agree some bikes that have it can be a hinderance.

To help circle back to the OP and the ABS on their bike, the Ninja 300, from what I've heard with the guys at the track racing with the ABS model, it's not good enough to be helpful road racing.

Having said that, that is pushing this particular model to the bikes full capabilities. Probably not an issue, unless you're trail breaking through intersections and highway ramps pretty close to full lean angle.

It's an entry level package. Not a Yamaha R1 or BMW S1000RR level of rider aids.

I'm sure it'll be fine on the street.

Back
Top Bottom