Is this a good deal/price? | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is this a good deal/price?

The best part of this thread (apart from the dude getting a new bike) is the mention that wheel sensors on abs can and do have potential corrosion issues.
TY Plau and brian. I learned something today.

Would be worth a look at the wheel sensor wires/connectors whenever you do the brakes..

Once again, YOU experienced that the ABS on her bike was activating at almost every stop. Do you think that is normal? Have you ever ridden another ABS equipped bike and experienced the same thing?
If you have as much experience as you say you do to know if the ABS is screwed or not, you should know it should not be activating at almost every stop...

If you were able to brake to a stop, and your wife flew through an intersection under hard braking (15-20m?), how can it not occur to you that something is wrong specifically with her bike's braking system? Nobody, including myself has experienced, or mentioned anything close to what you're describing having a ABS (working normally) and you're still in denial that something is wrong? Either your wife didn't react to stop, or something is wrong with her bike...

I'm not saying ABS doesn't have it's problems, and it's pretty obvious that the bike you're dealing with has issues especially if it causes you to fly through an intersection.

Seems like you're a bit conflicted of whether ABS is good or bad overall.

I've had issues on my fiancee's 2010 Toyota Matrix's ABS where it wasn't activating properly which caused the car to stop ~5 ft further than intended while ABS was activated on a dry road at a relatively low speed under light braking. That doesn't mean that ABS on all cars is screwed...
The wire connecting the wheel's sensor had corroded and was causing an on/off connection randomly (The male connector had broken off into the female connector).. Likely causing the system to think that the wheel was locked up randomly..

Flushing a brake system with new brake fluid on an ABS equipped bike is the same as non-ABS...
Other components are a different story..

OMG, what is wrong with my statement.
Her ABS is just fine.

I tend to brake really f'n hard at stop signs. Often too hard to ABS to keep up.
I have an RC51 and tend to downshift and brake at the same time to the point that the back wheel tends to skid a little bit.
I like it, I enjoy it.

I tend to lay on her brakes a bit too much just to see how much it takes to get it to kick in.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with her ABS.

Oh, and let's not forget that I love to do the occasional stoppie as well.

Another reason to hate ABS.

Oh, and let's not forget that I love to do the occasional stoppie as well.
Another reason to hate ABS.

maybe it would work if you put lots of oomph into it? don't know I never tried a stoppie on an ABS bike

OMG, what is wrong with my statement.
Her ABS is just fine.

I tend to brake really f'n hard at stop signs. Often too hard to ABS to keep up.

I have an RC51 and tend to downshift and brake at the same time to the point that the back wheel tends to skid a little bit.
I like it, I enjoy it.

I tend to lay on her brakes a bit too much just to see how much it takes to get it to kick in.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with her ABS.

Well, this explains why the ABS would activate at almost every stop...
I assume you live somewhere without a stupid amount of traffic threatening to rear end you? Hell, I don't stop hard normally and I get rear ended by someone who can't keep their foot on their brake at a red light (after they've already stopped)...

If you like to skid and stoppie, then you're right, ABS isn't for you. However, I doubt you're out-braking ABS by the whole length of an intersection - must be a reaction time issue in that case.

Just curious, what year is her bike?

Ummmmmm. It's impossible.

(I haven't tried), but theoretically, a rolling stopping should be possible at high speed though right...? Shift weight to front, and brake hard enough that ABS doesn't activate?

Last edited:
I assume you live somewhere without a stupid amount of traffic threatening to rear end you? Hell, I don't stop hard normally and I get rear ended by someone who can't keep their foot on their brake at a red light (after they've already stopped)...

If you like to skid and stoppie, then you're right, ABS isn't for you. However, I doubt you're out-braking ABS by the whole length of an intersection - must be a reaction time issue in that case.

(I haven't tried), but theoretically, a rolling stopping should be possible at high speed though right...? Shift weight to front, and brake hard enough that ABS doesn't activate?

I don't know if a stoppie from ~80kms to a complete stop is high speed or not, but I did them on my RG500 fairly easily.

I figure a stoppie is more weight shift and rear to front balance, but I guess you wouldn't want it pumping the brake much at the same time, might get very exciting when that happens.

it's an 09

You say abs would have saved you from a high side. How? A high side occurs when accelerating out of a corner and the rear tire loses traction, the bike slides somewhat sideways and then suddenly regains traction - resulting in the bike heaving you air borne over the high side...abs will save you ?
I do not get it.

2 years ago I had a car in which I disabled the abs - it was malfunctioning and cycled wildy too much and wouldn't allow any braking in the snow whatsoever. clearly not functioning as it should -but I was happy once I disabled the abs.
I think abs is an advantage - but it is not the do all that its being made out to be.

Apologies, I missed this.

It would have, probably, saved my specific high side because I induced said high side when the rear swung out and, get ready to cringe, tapped the front brake.

Needless to say, I have never ever touched the front brake again when the rear stepped out after going flying from the above.

EDIT: The more I think about this, the more confused I get if this is what TCS or ABS would save..or both.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom