Buying a bike in Alberta and registering in Ontario | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buying a bike in Alberta and registering in Ontario

RicoChet

Hey Guys! I am interested in a motorcycle that is currently in Alberta. I need to find a way to get it to me in Ontario, so I am trying to find a transport method, would love some recommendations.

My second question is, is there any special requirements to register a bike from a different province into Ontario? I've bought a dozen bikes locally and know the process like the back of my hand, but it appears that in Alberta (According to the seller) they have a much different system then what we have in Ontario regarding paper work and registrations ETC...

If anyone has any advice I would love to get it!! thank you so much :cool:

Not sure of the process but if the bike is a salvage or anything along those lines it won't be able to be registered here in Canada. If it is an SS it could be sold as a track bike probably for a loss. if it is anything else you probably have a parts bike or a nice piece of art.

yes, Alberta does less for you than Ontario
as far as providing info on title etc
but I guess that's what you get in a province with low taxes

as for shippers, Manitoulin Transport is a good LTL carrier
I've used them for small inter-province shipments with very good success
but you'd have to get the bike crated and to a place with a loading dock
same on the receiving end, they will not pickup or deliver to a residence

anyone that offers turn-key bike shipping is going to cost you plenty

fly to AB, do a one way rental on a van? drive it back?

Last edited:
Not sure of the process but if the bike is a salvage or anything along those lines it won't be able to be registered here in Canada. If it is an SS it could be sold as a track bike probably for a loss. if it is anything else you probably have a parts bike or a nice piece of art.

Bike is in running order, should not be a problem to register

yes, Alberta does less for you than Ontario
as far as providing info on title etc
but I guess that's what you get in a province with low taxes

as for shippers, Manitoulin Transport is a good LTL carrier
I've used them for small inter-province shipments with very good success
but you'd have to get the bike crated and to a place with a loading dock
same on the receiving end, they will not pickup or deliver to a residence

anyone that offers turn-key bike shipping is going to cost you plenty

fly to AB, do a one way rental on a van? drive it back?

Thanks, I'll look into those shipping options. FLying to AB and driving back is not an option as I've got a baby at home and cannot be away that long to drive (And of course, taking time off work)

there was a similar question not too long ago, check out the responses here -

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?204030-Purchasing-Alberta-bike

Thanks, I checked but my questions weren't answered in that post... Bike is not stolen or anything.. I just am trying to find if they have different paperwork then what we have in Ontario, when I asked him for proof of ownership on paper he said "We don't have that" it seems a lot of stuff may be electronic in nature and he didn't even know what the vehicle portion of the ownership was... Or even paying taxes on registering a vehicle.. I'll need to do some research

got it, but going to the Service Alberta website might yield some info ?

http://www.servicealberta.ca/buy-sell-used-vehicle.cfm

Before you buy a vehicle

research the process and dangers of buying used vehicles on reliable websites, such as the Alberta Motor Vehicle Industry Council (AMVIC)
make sure the seller has valid ID and proof that they own the vehicle
get a Vehicle Information Report from a registry agent or AMA, which describes the vehicle’s registration history in Alberta
get a Personal Property lien search from a registry agent, based on the vehicle’s Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
a CARFAX and/or Carproof Vehicle History Report is also recommended
get a safety inspection of the vehicle from a vehicle inspection facility
search the Canadian Police Information Centre database for stolen vehicles. The Government of Alberta is NOT provided with stolen vehicle data.

CARFAX

CarProof

Vehicle Inspection Facility Search

Auctions (buying and selling)

Canadian Police Information Centre

I don't know anything about Alberta ways, just trying to help out by what I am finding on the Interweb.....

Last edited:
OP this......best to check is AB has a UVIP type package. Hate to see someone get burned.

The UVIP package is a must, its the official bill of sale -- how else can you register a vehicle with out it :) knowing the bike is not stolen, not salvage, just in another province.. just wanted to know if paperwork differs. The seller has never sold a bike privately before and isn't familiar with the sales process, I know in Ontario you sign the back of your green ownership paper, give a UVIP and the new owner just needs insurance (and a safety done) and it can be registered. From what I heard from him, there is no "Green Paper" so I am assuming the different provinces have different documents

I decided to try calling the Alberta Transportation governing body and spoke to a very nice lady on the phone who explained everything quite well.

Documents needed to register vehicle in Ontario:

Vehicle Registration - Need the whole Document (Original)
Bill of Sale on the government website (to be completed by both parties)
Vehicle Information Report through Accusearch (Cost of $22.45)

Just in case anyone else was interested! These are all the documents you need to register in ontario (Plus your valid Insurance of course)

Hey Guys! I am interested in a motorcycle that is currently in Alberta. I need to find a way to get it to me in Ontario, so I am trying to find a transport method, would love some recommendations.

My second question is, is there any special requirements to register a bike from a different province into Ontario? I've bought a dozen bikes locally and know the process like the back of my hand, but it appears that in Alberta (According to the seller) they have a much different system then what we have in Ontario regarding paper work and registrations ETC...

If anyone has any advice I would love to get it!! thank you so much :cool:

I decided to try calling the Alberta Transportation governing body and spoke to a very nice lady on the phone who explained everything quite well.

Documents needed to register vehicle in Ontario:

Vehicle Registration - Need the whole Document (Original)
Bill of Sale on the government website (to be completed by both parties)
Vehicle Information Report through Accusearch (Cost of $22.45)

Just in case anyone else was interested! These are all the documents you need to register in ontario (Plus your valid Insurance of course)

I just reread your first post and then this post and I am a bit confused why you called Alberta, for information on how to register a vehicle in ONtario that is purchased outside of Ontario, would you not call MTO here to get that answer and or go to the MTO website ?

https://www.ontario.ca/faq/what-do-i-need-register-out-province-vehicle-ontario

So you actually were looking for answers to 3 different questions

1 - how to get a bike from Alberta to Ontario

2- what is the process in buying a bike in Alberta - get answer from Alberta's MOT

3- How to register a bike in Ontario purchased from Alberta - get answer from Ontario's MOT

Last edited:
I just reread your first post and then this post and I am a bit confused why you called Alberta, for information on how to register a vehicle in ONtario that is purchased outside of Ontario, would you not call MTO here to get that answer and or go to the MTO website ?

https://www.ontario.ca/faq/what-do-i-need-register-out-province-vehicle-ontario

So you actually were looking for answers to 3 different questions

1 - how to get a bike from Alberta to Ontario

2- what is the process in buying a bike in Alberta - get answer from Alberta's MOT

3- How to register a bike in Ontario purchased from Alberta - get answer from Ontario's MOT

The Person I called in Alberta at their ministry of tranportation was actually from Ontario, and was able to answer the questions I had regarding comparable paperwork, so I got those questions answered.

As far as getting the bike from Alberta to Ontario, I seem to be having luck with Uship.

So far all is well. I thank everyone who tried to help find my answers! Have a great day

Back
Top Bottom