First dirt bike | Page 9 | GTAMotorcycle.com

First dirt bike

Bought mine from a friend, and another friend was the one who did the rebuild so I know exactly how fresh it is lol
That's the ideal situation for sure. A friend and I looked around a 2013 YZ250 last week with a claimed 80 hours. The engine sounded really nice and tight, and started right up after sitting since December (apparently), but the entire bike looked very used. Either it was raced very hard for most of its life, or 80h was BS...

While shopping for a dirtbike in the fall I met the only honest seller out there. Went to look at an 04 yz250, asked him when the engine was last done. He actually asked me "Why? Does it need it? It's not that old you know.".
Ummm, ok. 13 year old 2 stroke on the original motor, no thanks.

Wow! lol!!

I picked up a low mileage WR with hardly any marks on it. (Did the guy just ride in a open paddock I wonder? lol) I've since doubled the mileage and put in a lot more dents and scuffs. Probably more to come ;)

Last edited:
Here's the reference to this:

"If you are driving your off-road vehicle anywhere other than on the vehicle owner's property, you must also have vehicle liability insurance."

see https://www.ontario.ca/document/official-mto-drivers-handbook/off-road-vehicles-snowmobiles

Pretty sure that document was not directed towards competition motorcycles, all of the vehicles they are talking about in that write up are registered vehicles (green plate or registration number on the side of the hood) yes or no?
Also not sure if "owners" property should actually read 'private' property! In my experience the authorities do not venture onto any private property unless authorized by a warrant or invitation issued from the land owner requiring law enforcement on their land.

Here's another way to look at it: I am NOT allowed to green plate and ride my competition dirt bikes in all the same places as the quads they are actually referring to in that publication. You can't have it both ways, either my Montesa is a competition vehicle intended strictly for use on private property and closed course competition, or it is subject to and authorized for use on all of the same trails as any other "off-road vehicle" once it has been registered, plated and apparently insured as such. I'd plate and insure my motocross and trials bikes in a heart beat if that was the case.

Competition Event (entry fee) insurance is only valid during the specified event and with the appropriate competition license and waivers having been signed and witnessed immediately prior to the event. We simply don't have liability insurance at any other time, same as a full on track race car, do something that makes you liable for harming somebody and you are the one liable.

If you're riding on someone else's property outside of an organized event, you really should have a green plate for your competition machines. There are tons of green plated motocross bikes out there in the woods. And the OPP patrols Ganaraska fairly frequently checking for unplated/uninsured bikes, for instance.

MTO said:
The following vehicles do not need to be registered as off-road vehicles: road-building machines, farm vehicles, golf carts and motorized wheelchairs. In addition, off-road vehicles participating in a rally or competition sponsored by a motorcycle association with more than 25 members do not need to be registered for the event.

Pretty sure that document was not directed towards competition motorcycles, all of the vehicles they are talking about in that write up are registered vehicles (green plate or registration number on the side of the hood) yes or no?
Also not sure if "owners" property should actually read 'private' property! In my experience the authorities do not venture onto any private property unless authorized by a warrant or invitation issued from the land owner requiring law enforcement on their land.

Here's another way to look at it: I am NOT allowed to green plate and ride my competition dirt bikes in all the same places as the quads they are actually referring to in that publication. You can't have it both ways, either my Montesa is a competition vehicle intended strictly for use on private property and closed course competition, or it is subject to and authorized for use on all of the same trails as any other "off-road vehicle" once it has been registered, plated and apparently insured as such. I'd plate and insure my motocross and trials bikes in a heart beat if that was the case.

Wtf are you talking about now? I can not talk about Trials bikes because I don't know, but every single dirt bike I have ever seen had a VIN stamped on it. That VIN means that it is legally a vehicle that needs an ownership and insurance. The insurance is REQUIRED by law if you ride ANYWHERE other than YOUR OWN PROPERTY or a competition that carries its own insurance.

My daughters first bike, 2002 Suzuki JR50 had proper paperwork and insurance. I had to do that because I was legally required to do she could ride on trails with me.

No, the cops or whomever aren't going on your property to check for insurance unless they feel a good reason to. However, good luck if someone comes into your property, gets hurt, and doesn't have their own insurance.

I know I'll be very thankful for having insurance if something like this ever happened to me. http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/british-columbia/dirt-bike-atv-crash-violin-trail-road-1.4313972

Trials is correct.Competing in a closed course event requires insurance from the event organizer the same as a trackday.Waivers must be signed before the event with conditions met for safety requirements.Plating is not required,nor do the bikes need vins.
The series i compete in is run by the SOVT organization.Insurance is provided by the CVMG.Membership is mandatory for all riders,even children via a family membership.A waiver is signed before each event.And riders are not allowed to even start a machine until that waiver is completed.
Same is true for the series Trials competes in thru the ATA.A CMA competition membership i required at a hefty cost.

Everyone agrees on the organized closed course event scenario. The issue was the idea that you couldn't get a plate or insurance for competition vehicles at all.

Everyone agrees on the organized closed course event scenario. The issue was the idea that you couldn't get a plate or insurance for competition vehicles at all.

A green plate?Sure you can.Vin # and bill of sale is all the mot needs.Insurance is cheap.

I can't, I promised the dealer in B.C. who imported my motorcycle that I would not register it or it would get him in hot water.

Ganaraska forest is not private land. I Could ride there if CMA was to ever host an event there, is there any terrain serious enough to bother with?
I have ridden the waterfront footpaths and even across the beach and into the water in downtown Perry Sound during an event, no green plate, totally legal with nothing more then a cloth bib and a big CMA number on my front plate, once the appropriate fees and documentation was signed. Ridden indoors and out at motorcycle shows, no cost, no plates, no insurance other then the whatever was provided by the event organizers. Your green plate and private insurance would not get you into those places, the plate might give you a nasty gash when you crash. Safety and vehicle requirements were only that you wear a helmet (not even a certified helmet requirement) and in theory your bike is suppose to meet noise regulations which they all do with ease in stock competition form.

VIN on your motorcycle frame has no legal ramifications other then being the only acceptable legal way to identify a motorized vehicle.

Sorry to read about that guy who lost his leg :| those quad things are horrifically unstable and dangerous at speed, I would never own one and don't even like them around when I'm riding. Sharing 2 way dirt trails with those stupid things blasting around at speed is too dangerous to even comprehend imho, if quads were limited to about a fast walking pace they would be relatively safe to almost everyone, except when it flips and falls on you.

Last edited:
I know I'll be very thankful for having insurance if something like this ever happened to me. http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/british-columbia/dirt-bike-atv-crash-violin-trail-road-1.4313972

Wow. Insurance isn't all that helpful in that situation though. The judgement was over $3,000,000. Most people carry 1 or 2 million liability insurance. I would suspect that for the vast majority of people, having to come up with over 1 million is just as impossible as having to come up with 3. Does bankruptcy wipe out the remainder of the claim?

Last edited:
I can't, I promised the dealer in B.C. who imported my motorcycle that I would not register it or it would get him in hot water.

Tell us more??

. Your green plate and private insurance would not get you into those places, the plate might give you a nasty gash when you crash. Safety and vehicle requirements were only that you wear a helmet (not even a certified helmet requirement) and in theory your bike is suppose to meet noise regulations which they all do with ease in stock competition form.

I hope not, ! :) Mine's attached to the bike on the front number plate area. That seems to be the norm for most bikes I've seen here, though the Australian/NZ Enduro bikes have a little plate holder in the rear fender for their plates. (I lot of our equivalent bikes can be taken on road there)

If I was a financial supporter of yours I would withdraw my support...... booooerrrnnsss
Except it's a 4-stroke. Guess I can't hang out with the cool kids anymore :(

Trials, this isn't an attack or a flame, but I genuinely do not know what point(s) you are trying to make. The thing I quoted in post 167 is from the same source as Kiwi's MTO handbook link and answers the questions you had in post 166. The MTO quote says the same thing that you and everyone else has already said - you don't need to be registered or insured if you're riding as part of an organized event with its own insurance.

The bit about you not being able to register competition bikes (in general, or because of how they were imported?) was just confusing - I got the impression (and I assume Robp did too) that you were saying that registration and licensing weren't necessary at all for the riding most of us do. Although after re-reading your post several times I see that impression was likely mistaken.

Re: Ganaraska. I think you would be very bored in Ganaraska on a trials bike. Its strength is the closeness to the city, the clear rules about the conditions of use and the length of contiguous single track. The terrain is sand and loam, so the trails are generally smooth and flowing due to the number of people who use the forest, and there aren't many significant obstacles. But it is good fun on a regular dirt bike.

One thing I have learned and it is consistent on every yz250 purchase I have made is that whatever the owner said it is not true. The number of hours is number one (even with an hour counter) on the list of things people are full of **** about... I would recommend your buddy to do full maintenance, all bearings and at least to do a top end.

The 05 i bought had a broken power valve, that part alone was 250 bucks... etc

That's what I say as well. Owner said injury is keeping him from dirtbiking and he had a arm-sling from shoulder surgery and bike came with the original replacement top-end kit you get on dealer purchase. Bike is super clean but he's already pulled everything apart and greased/inspected.

Helps when he see's my brand new KTM in pieces doing the same.

Yea I took my 17 apart even before I rode it to grease everything, amazing how little they pack the grease from factory.
It was a frustrating beginning of the year, I bougt a used 2002 yz which i basically made look like new again after spending tons of hours rebuilding, then decided to sell it without even raiding it once to buy a brand new 17, then had to take it apart to grease pack everything, replaced the stock tires and a bunch of other stuff, after so many hours of labour working on both bikes I finally got to ride... then bought the 05 and had to start from new again lol.

That's what I say as well. Owner said injury is keeping him from dirtbiking and he had a arm-sling from shoulder surgery and bike came with the original replacement top-end kit you get on dealer purchase. Bike is super clean but he's already pulled everything apart and greased/inspected.

Helps when he see's my brand new KTM in pieces doing the same.

Last edited:
Minute amount of grease on my swingarm and nothing on any of my shock/linkage bolts. I've heard by the KTM crew my hubs should be done but I'm a bit leery of breaking a seal getting at them and having to buy a whole new set of bearings because of it. Prob just leave them. Had to take it all apart to put my heavy-guy spring on the shock anyways :)

Back
Top Bottom