First dirt bike | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

First dirt bike

Easy way is buying a bike with ownership,less hassle for you.I have bought a couple of bikes without and you do have to do some extra work and depending on your local MTO could be a pain,personally I never had that big of an issue.Its just less work for you if there is a ownership.

How does PL/PD insurance work on a dirt only bike? do you guys insure them for fire/theft ect. or is it just a trailer it out and ride it?

Can you insure a bike you have no ownership for?

You can get liability offroad only insurance, doesn't cover you on the road and ranges from $100-$300/year. Fire/theft is up to you, some insurers dont even offer it for orv. Yes you can insure any vehicle without an ownership but you can't get a plate and that is required in Ontario.
I had a bugger of a time getting the ownership for a kx 125 that I bought without, never again personally.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Silly question here but... I msgd a few people asking if they have the ownership for the bike and all of them said no. I know I wouldn’t buy a street legal bike with no ownership. Should I follow the same rule with a dirt bike? Probably eh. I guess there no way in knowing the bike is stolen.

Not a silly question, I have competition only motorcycles that have never been registered in Ontario, what I do have is the original bill of sale and proof of purchase for those machines. The way competition event insurance works is, your entry fee covers the cost of liability insurance in the event you harm a spectator, it does little if not nothing at all for your own injury, have your OHIP card ready for that. In Quebec Any motorized vehicle that can be ridden Must be plated in order to be trailered or carried in the back of an open pickup truck (completely enclosed trailer transport is acceptable) for this reason even a riding lawn tractor will be seen to have a plate and theoretically some form of ownership. An off-road only plate or documentation indicating legal transport is acceptable but you still might get questioned by the gendarme if they don't see a plate (and no, having a cover on the bike does not count, you better have it nailed down in a crate). In Utah you need a sticker on the front fork to show you have paid a trail access fee :/ I have those for 2016 but it still isn't really an ownership as such.
Think of it this way, do you think any of the formula one race cars that participate in racing around the CNE have a VIN, insurance and ownership papers:
JGS_7178-1.jpg

... I'm guessing no, but they do have crazy event insurance.
Sales tax is collected when you register a vehicle, excellent chance that if sales tax was collected on a vehicle that was never registered or had an import trail, that tax probably went straight into somebody's pocket. If you purchased your competition ride from an out of provence dealer that is not subject to the tax, you probably never had to pay one. ... until you register it here and MOT will want $.
Some people might be lucky enough to have household insurance that covers theft of their competition motorcycle, my household policy covers things like chainsaws and my farm tractor provided it is at home at the time of incident. (have no ownership for tractors or excavator either)
Competition bikes purchased new usually come with a service manual in my experience, if the owner has that, excellent chance they bought the vehicle new and didn't steal it, in which case the original bill of sale might even be inside there, just like mine is. Police have to accept that as proof of ownership because the motorcycle is not eligible for registration just as the formula 1 race car or a chainsaw is not. ;) race car does have a great big racing number on the side of it and my trials bikes have a big #51 on the front, so they know who it is if they really want to.

Silly question here but... I msgd a few people asking if they have the ownership for the bike and all of them said no. I know I wouldn’t buy a street legal bike with no ownership. Should I follow the same rule with a dirt bike? Probably eh. I guess there no way in knowing the bike is stolen.

Like mentioned you can still get an ownership but will have to create an affidavit and have it notarized. If you do a search of this forum you will find some example affidavits. You can use this site http://app.cpic-cipc.ca/English/search.cfm to look up if a vehicle is stolen with the vin number.

Crankcall, to ride on crown land you need the bike to be registered with a off road plate and liability insurance. If you're only riding tracks or private property then you don't need either. Off road insurance isn't bad, I think I pay $200 a year per bike.

To answer the question in simple terms:

- Yes it is common for a dirt bike to not have ownership, last one i bought it didn't
- You can find out if the bike is stolen, if there are any leans etc by getting the VIN number and going to the Licensing place (MTO)
- Yes it is possible to get an ownership, there is a process that requires an affidavit and your bill of sale and it does require your MTO office to know about it. The MTO in Port Hope knows the process very well and they will give you no problem.
- The price most times is reflective on the fact the bike does not have an ownership (not by much)
- To ride in private property you do not require insurance - to Ride on places like Ganaraska you require insurance and ownership.

Edit: Blackcamaro and I were typing at the same time

Last edited:
Definitely grab one with ownership to save the hassle.

I second getting a good used YZ250. One of the most common modded 2-stokes and there's tons of online research/support and parts are everywhere and cheap. You'll find lots of clean used ones in the $5k range. Just give it a good going over as you would any bike. Enjoy!

Just to clarify, you do not need insurance to ride on your own private property, but you do require it to ride on other private property unless it happens to be one of those places that has its own insurance, such as at an MX track.

Just to clarify, you do not need insurance to ride on your own private property, but you do require it to ride on other private property unless it happens to be one of those places that has its own insurance, such as at an MX track.
Exactly. The only time you don't legally need liability insurance is on your own property.
Riding at a friend's farm? Technically you are legally required to have insurance.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Ok, we get it, Trials riding is the best there ever was and everyone HAS to do it!!! I don't know if you guys mean to come across like that, but you remind of the old joke about vegans (don't have to ask if they are, they'll tell you).

Buying a bike with the ownership is definitely preferred because it's easier, but I wouldn't shy away from one without (as long as you check the VIN on the CPIC website). Every vehicle that has a VIN should have an ownership and in my opinion you don't own the vehicle unless you have one. I did buy a bike that was registered as stolen. Luckily it was a kids bike I got for $500. Now I will not hand over cash until I run the VIN through CPIC.

Two quick examples first hand for me. First, I bought a bike ( KTM 125SX) with no history in the Country at all except in KTM's own database. Basically the original dealer never bothered importing it properly. It took me about 45mins at Service Ontario to get the ownership for it. The other bike I bought with no ownership was last registered to an out of business dealer. That one was a little easier to get just using an affidavit.

Don't forget. No ownership means no insurance.

Ok, we get it, Trials riding is the best there ever was and everyone HAS to do it!!! I don't know if you guys mean to come across like that, but you remind of the old joke about vegans (don't have to ask if they are, they'll tell you).

It's winter for everyone.Lol

Not everyone has to do it but we have to :| where else can you find a competitive senior 55 class.
I think the oldest rider right now is 87
they probably pulled his car license by now but if he's still alive you can bet he's still standing on the pegs.

It's Vegans, Trials riders, and Crossfit.

Mormons?

You have to love where only GTAM can take threads ... priceless.

I have a lot of on road experience and have done trail tours a few times on the crf230/250 for the first time being in the wood I was doing pretty good I’d say. But I want a 2 stroke for sure just because the ease of maintance and the riding style.

honestly I was thinking about the yz250x/ktm250xc/300 but I thought why spend the extra money if I could get away on something a bit cheaper. I like that the Ktm has electric start only problem is you can’t really find them used. Also that 2018 yz250x looks badass with the blue wheels.

im not sure what to do. And none of my friends ride so I’m not sure if going out alone is smart

Funny., I went with a 4T woods bike (WR250F) as the two stroke would be more frequent maintenance compared to the 4T.. and I'm not ready to be wrenching every weekend ;-p plus I'm a N00b!

Last edited:
Funny., I went with a 4T woods bike (WR250F) as the two stroke would be more frequent maintenance compared to the 4T.. and I'm not ready to be wrenching every weekend ;-p plus I'm a N00b!
2 stokes are easier and cheaper to maintain than 4 strokes. They are also more reliable and less prone to overheating. (speaking of competition based engines of course)

2 stokes are easier and cheaper to maintain than 4 strokes. They are also more reliable and less prone to overheating. (speaking of competition based engines of course)

I agree with everything except the over heating part, don't you have a good radiator with a fan on it?
fuel injection can really make your fuel tank hot, i'll give you that.
... just keep it mostly full.

All competition bikes are high maintenance if you want to remain competitive.

I agree with everything except the over heating part, don't you have a good radiator with a fan on it?
fuel injection can really make your fuel tank hot, i'll give you that.
... just keep it mostly full.
Fans can't keep up when you get into the low speed stuff on a big bore 4t. Mud, rocks, hard climbs, etc....

Not talking trials here. Woods bikes are meant to be moving

Passed many overheated 4 strokes on the cord when I rode it a few years back. My 2t didn't even need a fan.

Back
Top Bottom