First dirt bike | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

First dirt bike

Get a 06 or newer YZ250 and it's basically the same bike as a 2018. If you want to tame it down a little buy a flywheel weight for $100. Awesome bikes that can do pretty much anything from tight single track to motocross. Parts are easy to find and really easy bikes to work on.

If you wanted a trials bike you would already know it.

The thing is that most people don't know what they don't know. For example i started on a 4 stroke, what a mistake that was, but unless i had made the mistake I wouldn't have known. Trial bikes is probably real good advice but the problem is most people already have their mind made up and most people don't know much about trials when in reality is probably a really good option.

Nobody has a clue what it's like to ride a modern Trials bike until they ride one in a place where a modern Trials bike is the only thing that can go there. Then you become addicted to it and that's why most are deep down inside afraid to ever try, :I dare you to try and prove me wrong on that!

I think you're on the right track looking to get a 2 stroke for your first off road bike.

Buying a used motocrosser is more of a crap shoot than an enduro/off road model like a Yamaha WR or a KTM EXC. The MX'er has probably lived a tougher life, and is being sold because it's "tired". A woods bike doesn't get wound out as often, and spends most of it's time plonking along in the lower to mid rpm range. The suspension is also valved/sprung for off road as opposed to landing big air jumps. None of which is to say that a fast off road guy won't wear out a bike over a few seasons; as always it's "caveat emptor".

For $2500 - 3000 you're looking at older bikes in the years 1995-2005. OBVIOUSLY newer is better, but you can find one in good shape from those years. I had a 1999 300 exc, and although it didn't have electric start it was always a one kick affair. Don't be afraid of kick starting a 2 stroke, it's NOT A BIG DEAL. The 300 was as reliable as a stone and would still be a great bike for what you want to do (and for what I want too).

A KDX 220, RMX250, WR250 (2 stroke) or KTM EXC are all good/appropriate choices that you can find in your price range, and if you choose to sell it sooner than later it will hold most of it's value (most are already as cheap as they're gonna get).

Given your interests, you would benefit from joining a club like OCMC. They have club motocross, and cross country events that while competitive are well suited to the beginner or casual rider.

Two stroke or four stroke makes less odds then how good you learn to ride dirt and how good your physical conditioning is. A great rider can be equally competitive on either type of bike, Honda has proven that several times over. The big difference is when you need to take it apart yourself, 4 strokes have several more moving parts but no matter what design you choose, everything needs to be perfect or it will still run like crap.

Two stroke or four stroke makes less odds then how good you learn to ride dirt and how good your physical conditioning is. A great rider can be equally competitive on either type of bike, Honda has proven that several times over. The big difference is when you need to take it apart yourself, 4 strokes have several more moving parts but no matter what design you choose, everything needs to be perfect or it will still run like crap.

If you're buying used, in a lower price range, you're more likely to find a 2 stroke in better shape than a small displacement (competition focussed) 4 stroke. The poster is looking for his first dirt bike, as he learns and inevitably gets better he'll probably end up on a 4 stroke because there's more of them in the selection of newer bikes. He may even end up on a trials bike for all we know, but he has to start somewhere.

Nobody has a clue what it's like to ride a modern Trials bike until they ride one in a place where a modern Trials bike is the only thing that can go there. Then you become addicted to it and that's why most are deep down inside afraid to ever try, :I dare you to try and prove me wrong on that!
Was that directed to me or the OP because I happen to agree with you, not sure if it came across differently

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

The SOVT has a "bring a friend" day every year.It's a blast to watch people that have a bunch of other experience ride a trialer for the first time.

Was that directed to me or the OP because I happen to agree with you, not sure if it came across differently

Not directed at anybody in particular ;) is just a fact

Ric let me know when this is and if you are available and willing to deal with me then I would love to come.
The SOVT has a "bring a friend" day every year.It's a blast to watch people that have a bunch of other experience ride a trialer for the first time.

Ric let me know when this is and if you are available and willing to deal with me then I would love to come.

Absolutely.It's usually late in the fall south of Woodstock.You could bring a dirt bike and then we wouldn't have to take turns walking between sections.

Oh oh, that's how it all starts, it's like crack the next thing you know you'll be addicted and dropping coin on a brand new bike.

Absolutely.It's usually late in the fall south of Woodstock.You could bring a dirt bike and then we wouldn't have to take turns walking between sections.
Sounds like a plan. Looking forward to it

Oh oh, that's how it all starts, it's like crack the next thing you know you'll be addicted and dropping coin on a brand new bike.
I got out of Racing super bikes last year so I guess all that extra income i saved should go somewhere lol.

There’s currently not really much for sale I guess it’s the wrong time of the year. The wife says to buy new but I know I’ll be dropping it a lot and rather buy new down the road a bit.

There’s currently not really much for sale I guess it’s the wrong time of the year. The wife says to buy new but I know I’ll be dropping it a lot and rather buy new down the road a bit.
There are a lot of YZs for sale. Kijiji

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Yeah, do not buy new for a first dirt bike. Get something that you will not mind getting scratched and dirty. You'll probably drop it a lot at first, and it's way better to drop the bike without hesitation and get a few scratches than to pull a groin or blow out a knee trying to hold it up to keep it shiny.

I wouldn't rule out getting a new bike. Especially if your wife is giving you the green light! Dropping it and scratching it should not be a concern like it is with our street bikes. These are dirt bikes and made to take a lot of abuse right out of the box.

If you're sticking to a 5k budget, I'd be with everyone else recommending a newer Yamaha (06+). It's easy to convert these bikes to full woods bikes over your years of ownership. Like blackcamaro said, I think a flywheel weight would be your best investment. Also don't forget to invest in getting the bike properly jetted for woods riding as well, otherwise you'll be going through spark plugs every day.

Although they are tougher to find, you may find some KTM out of the box woods bikes in your budget as well. Every once and while you can find a newer XC or XCW in your price range. They sell fast though so you have to check every day!

Good luck. Hope to see you out in the woods!

The thing is that most people don't know what they don't know. For example i started on a 4 stroke, what a mistake that was, but unless i had made the mistake I wouldn't have known. Trial bikes is probably real good advice but the problem is most people already have their mind made up and most people don't know much about trials when in reality is probably a really good option.

I kind of went through the same trial (not the bike) and error method. If I knew what I know now ... it's not just the bike, it's also the areas you end up riding 90% of time ..... trial bike would be perfect for me. The problem I can see is that there's not much on used market (I mean there's, but not really comparable to enduro market), so I would have to go new. The other thing is, I am not 100% sure since I only ride regularly smaller electric trial bike (just goofing around my house to keep me entertained), but my legs are pretty burnt out after 30-45 minutes of constant stand up riding. A lot of it is working the suspension, hopping etc. ...... I cannot imagine going at pace half a day, forget about whole day. And I consider myself in pretty good shape ....

I know you can get a seat for the newer trials, but I am still not convinced that half or full day woods riding (single and double track in Ontario) would be in the cards for me, especially when my buddies ride enduro bikes. Just an observation ...

I wouldn't rule out getting a new bike. Especially if your wife is giving you the green light! Dropping it and scratching it should not be a concern like it is with our street bikes. These are dirt bikes and made to take a lot of abuse right out of the box.

If you're sticking to a 5k budget, I'd be with everyone else recommending a newer Yamaha (06+). It's easy to convert these bikes to full woods bikes over your years of ownership. Like blackcamaro said, I think a flywheel weight would be your best investment. Also don't forget to invest in getting the bike properly jetted for woods riding as well, otherwise you'll be going through spark plugs every day.

Although they are tougher to find, you may find some KTM out of the box woods bikes in your budget as well. Every once and while you can find a newer XC or XCW in your price range. They sell fast though so you have to check every day!

Good luck. Hope to see you out in the woods!

I’m waiting patiently in hopes of something decent comes up for sale. Still have a couple of months till riding season so hopefully I find something.

... especially when my buddies ride enduro bikes...
There is that; you would be riding places where they could not follow and they would be riding roads that you would find boring and pushing the limits of your fuel capacity. You really need to buy the machine that suits your riding terrain and if you are in the habit of riding miles of quad trails and calling that off-road riding :/ then an enduro or MX bike is the way to go, although my old MX bike only carried sufficient fuel for ~25 minutes at WOT. If you are going deep into the woods, riding Canadian Shield and looking for exercise, the Trials bike is the way to go.
Seats are highly over-rated, you can still sit on the trials bike, it just puts your knees up around your arm pits but it's fine for between sections and at lower speed. A friend was riding his bike with the long ride seat installed and had very little problem riding everything I was, once in a while he took it in the gonads, the major advantage of the Trials bike is the super light weight, narrow profile and ability to plug down super slow without over-heating, MX bikes have that horking big radiator, sometimes without even a fan, my 4-stroke trials bikes weigh in at 160 pounds with 2 litres of fuel which can last about 2 hours of riding without carrying spare fuel. Usually when we go riding and some guys are on Enduro type bikes, they usually regret not having a Trials bike. ymmv depending on the terrain.

Silly question here but... I msgd a few people asking if they have the ownership for the bike and all of them said no. I know I wouldn’t buy a street legal bike with no ownership. Should I follow the same rule with a dirt bike? Probably eh. I guess there no way in knowing the bike is stolen.

Back
Top Bottom