Kia | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Kia

at 45-50k CDN, you don't have spend more for a BMW or Audi and you cant be far off a C series benz. That Kia has a lot of neat stuff going on, but I would buy the first model yr.

Probably not bad cars, but they also probably sold for north of $60,000 when they were new 12-16 months ago. To be selling for $26K now goes to show you how much of a bath the original owner took, higher mileage aside.
All I'm hearing is a great deal on a great used car. If I was in the market for a car, the Genesis sedan (used) would be top of my list.

Sent from the purple GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

All I'm hearing is a great deal on a great used car. If I was in the market for a car, the Genesis sedan (used) would be top of my list.

Fair enough, as long as they don’t depreciate another 20-30% in the next year or two as well, you’d be upside down very quickly.

That’s assuming they actually keep selling new and feeding the used market. Word about their horrid depreciation is getting around, one only need google the brand name.

Fair enough, as long as they don’t depreciate another 20-30% in the next year or two as well, you’d be upside down very quickly.

That’s assuming they actually keep selling new and feeding the used market. Word about their horrid depreciation is getting around, one only need google the brand name.
I see your point, however, like you, I drive my vehicles into the ground. And I would want one in the sub $20k to be worthwhile for me. But this is all talk at this point as at this time in my life an SUV is more practical. And there is a good chance that I will take my BiL's Santa Fe XL in a few years.

I see your point, however, like you, I drive my vehicles into the ground

Again, very fair argument.

I’d be left asking myself if I’m really getting $30K work of car in the end though vs the alternatives in the same price range basically 1 year used. At $70K a Genesis (a Hyundai with lots of lipstick, let’s face it) is insane to me. Even at $30k a few years later I think I’d be looking elsewhere for some brands with a little more cachet at least for the money.

The Genesis is the reigning champ in the "Fastest depreciation" department, losing a whopping 38% of it's value inside 12 months.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/automobiles/the-worst-depreciating-around.html/?a=viewall

This is the problem with name brands that have a long history of producing cheap/bargain/econobox cars trying to play the high-end game - they may get suckers to buy in, sure, but they lose their shirts in the process.

But, there's a sucker born every minute, I guess.

Nothing against Kia, but they don't hold the cachet value to put out a high value car that's not going to depreciate like a lead balloon. Edit: Not necessarily talking solely about the Stinger in particular, but with a $60,000 car on their roster now (after you convert from USD) Kia seems to be working up to the Genesis situation above, that's my point.

Kia has had a full sized 'luxury' sedan north of $60k since i believe 2013 the K900.

People who drive their cars into the ground don't give a damn about depreciation.

Also fyi, the Genesis brand is/will be Hyundai luxury division, like Toyota/Lexus.

Last edited:
People who drive their cars into the ground don't give a damn about depreciation..

Not always. Many (at least those considering a brand new vehicle that they plan to drive into the ground) are amongst the most financially savvy who don’t fall for silly overpriced things to begin with.

If we are talking people buying a $1000-$5000 beater, well, for most situations depreciation has already bottomed out so it doesn’t matter anymore.

Not always. Many (at least those considering a brand new vehicle that they plan to drive into the ground) are amongst the most financially savvy who don’t fall for silly overpriced things to begin with.

If we are talking people buying a $1000-$5000 beater, well, for most situations depreciation has already bottomed out so it doesn’t matter anymore.

What does depreciation have to do with 'overpriced'? Value for money on a brand/model vs situation seems rather subjective.

I have cars 3-5 yrs at the most depreciation is a huge issue for me.
Genesis we had was equipped with some rediculous iridium spark plugs at $150 ea from the dealer, and sensors that went off a lot. It was really nice when it was new.
Paid 42K , 5yrs and traded in for $6,100. no Korean cars for me for a while

Kia wasn't on my radar but, they are making some inroads. I appreciate any manufacturers that push themselves for the better.

They still offer minivans, a couple of SUVs, small and midsize sedans and for the most part, well made, well backed products.

The stinger doesn't make sense to me. As a Halo car, I just don't see it. But then again, I wouldn't consider any Kia 24 months ago and there is one in my drive way now.

Genesis we had was equipped with some rediculous iridium spark plugs at $150 ea from the dealer, and sensors that went off a lot. It was really nice when it was new.

It seems like leasing would suit your needs better, can I ask why you chose not to?

.... Paid 42K , 5yrs and traded in for $6,100. no Korean cars for me for a while
Ouch! I take it you didn't trade it in on another Kia product and you didn't buy something that the dealership was in a hurry to move.

I bought my Hyundai for a little less then 42k and already have 4 people interested in buying it for the same money I paid for it when I'm done with it later this year.
;) Korea might make bic lighter cars but their heavy equipment sure kicks azz.
hyundai.jpg

It seems like leasing would suit your needs better, can I ask why you chose not to?

short answer , I put on too many Km's and the cost to lease + the km's I need puts me in a similar spot as if I bought the car and took my lumps. I run the arithmetic every time before the next vehicle. And i like to change it up on cars and often leasing "fun" product is punishing.

Ouch! I take it you didn't trade it in on another Kia product and you didn't buy something that the dealership was in a hurry to move.

I bought my Hyundai for a little less then 42k and already have 4 people interested in buying it for the same money I paid for it when I'm done with it later this year.
;) Korea might make bic lighter cars but their heavy equipment sure kicks azz.
hyundai.jpg

Are you building a track through the woods before you let it go to a new home?

Are you building a track through the woods before you let it go to a new home?
:D that's an affirmative! plus a campsite for riders to stay at. I built the house right in the middle of 8 national class trials sections and surrounded it with huge piles of boulders, it's awesome!

I found the Hyundai dealer prices to be very good, even compared to the US OEM parts. For example an ignition coil price difference is less than $10 from the canadian dealer compared to a denso from rockauto.com. if they had a manual AWD wagon it would first on my list.

I found the Hyundai dealer prices to be very good, even compared to the US OEM parts. For example an ignition coil price difference is less than $10 from the canadian dealer compared to a denso from rockauto.com. if they had a manual AWD wagon it would first on my list.
Just get a Santa Fe, awd. Suv should be ok.

I don't think the AWD comes in manual. Pretty sure I looked in to a while back. Plus it's a bit too big.

You got too much requests

That $6100 for a Genesis is making me drool lol
No offence to your $ lost

I've heard many more stories of people being happy with their newer Hyundai's than people that are not. And I am seeing the same trend with Kia.
If I had FU money, and because I like to be different, would buy an Equis (spelling?) Seen one in da bridge last week. Stood out from all thel beemers and benzs. (benzes?)
Hyundai has come a long way since 1988 when my Stellar was far from stellar.

Back
Top Bottom