Does this picture look right? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Does this picture look right?

Pardon my skepticism but are you sure the clip was on right?
besides add: wiring those 2 parts together isn't going to accomplish very much imho considering the clip holds the side plate on, what's to stop both from magically flying off? and what side force made it fail in the first place?

Likely the side load caused the clip to pop off (incorrect chain adjustment maybe or wheel alignment ?)
Who knows, but as has been suggested a little blob of silicone or a wrap of lockwire never hurt.
There's a reason for rivet master links - sh*t happens.

Likely the side load caused the clip to pop off (incorrect chain adjustment maybe or wheel alignment ?)
Who knows, but as has been suggested a little blob of silicone or a wrap of lockwire never hurt.

I'll buy that, was just a little surprised to hear anybody actually had one fly apart. I've even bent chain tensioners completely out of alignment and had sticks completely derail the rear sprocket and the chain still stayed together. ymmv.

I'll buy that, was just a little surprised to hear anybody actually had one fly apart. I've even bent chain tensioners completely out of alignment and had sticks completely derail the rear sprocket and the chain still stayed together. ymmv.

On an off-road bike they could get knocked off by debris.
Another prevailing bit of wisdom might suggest that if you bothered to lockwire it you made sure it was installed properly in the first place, like a drain bolt or oil filter.

On an off-road bike they could get knocked off by debris..
Off road bikes is what I have done extensively since 1965, Motocross from 1976 until I started riding Trials bikes in about 1986, smacked into more then my share of rocks, logs, buried chains in the mud dirt and sand. Stretched them to the point of wearing out sprockets. Never had a cir-clip get knocked off by debris yet although I suppose it's not completely impossible.

Now you have me curious, next time I have an old chain off I'm going to put the cir-clip master link on it and see if I can twist the chain hard enough to make the cir-clip fly off,
maybe beat it on a rock or something :whax:
I bet it stays on there and the chain bends or snaps the cir-clip in half first, will let ya'll know.

With the exception of my bandit 1200, every bike I've ever owned had a clip master link. I've never lost one, including countless hours in the roughest offroad Ontario has to offer.
In fact I replaced the chain on my Versys 650 last winter, ordered a did gold xring chain. When it came it had a rivet link and I was nervous at first as I'd never installed one. I do have two good chain tool sets so I checked a couple videos for do's and don't's and did it myself. Have checked it several times since and all is well.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Sometimes, master clip gets worn out (if you look at them when off the chain, one side could be like almost razor sharp). If you leave it on for too long the thinned part simply cracks and comes off (I think it mainly happens on dirt bikes when the chain meets some debris, probably stuck in in a chain guide etc.). I don't think a clip in good shape and properly installed will ever come-off. Inspection should just be part of regular maintenance ...

But I used the safety wire or dab of JB weld as well, just in case ...

Sometimes, master clip gets worn out (if you look at them when off the chain, one side could be like almost razor sharp). If you leave it on for too long the thinned part simply cracks and comes off (I think it mainly happens on dirt bikes when the chain meets some debris, probably stuck in in a chain guide etc.). I don't think a clip in good shape and properly installed will ever come-off. Inspection should just be part of regular maintenance ...

But I used the safety wire or dab of JB weld as well, just in case ...

JB weld, Really? How do you get it apart when it's time.I have used safety wire as shown and "automotive goop" from CDN Tire.

JB weld, Really? How do you get it apart when it's time...
01anglegrinder.jpg

JB weld, Really? How do you get it apart when it's time.I have used safety wire as shown and "automotive goop" from CDN Tire.

JB Weld does not really stick like one might think .... try it. I just take an exacto stiff knife and you can shave it right off with small effort (unless your dexterity just plain sucks ... LOL). Key is, to not use a ton of it, so the link can barely be seen berried under the JB ... that's what you are probably envisioning and yes in that case, you might as well just grind it off.

Last edited:
The JB weld is a great idea - it will hold for a while.

When I have to do a chain job, and the chain supplied come with a clip link ...I encourage the rider to opt for a rivet master;

In case it is not possible - I have good luck with RTV + Safety wire - it seems to hold for a good while.

CLIP LINKS = always should be inspected!!

13879401_1235187809859384_3315218190369211646_n.jpg

13782158_1235188069859358_6213746256893504042_n.jpg

... open end facing the incorrect way - better to have the closed end going towards the front sprocket
Well Yaaaa! and make that 'vital to have' unless you Want the thing to get knocked off :rolleyes: almost guarantee this is the real reason anybody has seen a cir-clip failure!

Rivets are fine for a maintenance free chain, but if you are running a plain roller chain and in the habit of removing them to regularly clean and re-lubricate the chain, then rivet links are pretty useless unless you pack a chain breaker and buy rivet master links in large quantities.

Last edited:
Well Yaaaa! and make that 'vital to have' unless you Want the thing to get knocked off :rolleyes: almost guarantee this is the real reason anybody has seen a cir-clip failure!

Rivets are fine for a maintenance free chain, but if you are running a plain roller chain and in the habit of removing them to regularly clean and re-lubricate the chain, then rivet links are pretty useless unless you pack a chain breaker and buy rivet master links in large quantities.

Well this is mostly a street bike forum ; and they mostly use sealed chains. I am not sure what a maintenance free chain is.
(Every drive component needs some care, chains to belts to shaft drive)

I've seen plenty of bikes where the clip from the master has flung off ; but the owner did not notice. (luckly the link had not failed)
So for the peace of mind - i'd always recommend a rivet link.

I do stock rivet links in the popular 520,525,530 from diff. makes / models of chains. And now started to keep the clip links also for the times something comes in with the missing clip.

Well this is mostly a street bike forum ; and they mostly use sealed chains. I am not sure what a maintenance free chain is.
Mostly a street bike forum? Why's that?

Maintenance free chain is the term used to describe a sealed chain. One that uses O-rings, X-rings or some form of rubber seal between the rollers and the side plates such that dirt and water can not get in and the grease that was put in there when the chain was manufactured stays in place.

GTA = Greater Toronto Area. Toronto tends to have streets.
This might come as a huge shock to you but GTA also has a healthy population of dirt bike riders.
... and once upon a time it had a **** load of off road riding areas.

Back
Top Bottom