Does this picture look right? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Does this picture look right?

油井緋色

Site Supporter
gaGKcMO.jpg

A friend in HK had this done to their bike by a mechanic after asking for a new chain. I've never seen this before...is this right? lol

Actually I think that is pretty close to the standard way to wire tie a cir-clip master link.

Thanks dudes.

:D he's the dude, I wear my pants over top my cowboy boots.

Looks good. I've always preferred rivet links myself but that should hold.

Personally I don't like it, but I can't think of anything wrong with it aside from maybe wearing out the chain slider faster.

Would prefer this. Simple. Old school, yes. This is easier to fit and last longer.

https://i.stack.imgur.com/gN8k9.jpg

That's a bicycle chain.

As for the OP....at least the master clip is on the right way. That safety wire will get worn down and spit off pretty soon I would think. The common thing to do is to add a glob of silicone to help "lock" it in place....and checked often....like every ride.

That's a bicycle chain.

As for the OP....at least the master clip is on the right way. That safety wire will get worn down and spit off pretty soon I would think. The common thing to do is to add a glob of silicone to help "lock" it in place....and checked often....like every ride.

What can I say? Duh. Thank you. Back in my younger days I used to build bikes form scratch. wheels, etc. So, I should know better. Back to standing in the corner. Lol.

I liked bicycles....then discovered 2 wheels .....with a motor. Slowly getting back to peddling...but only for exercise.

I liked bicycles....then discovered 2 wheels .....with a motor. Slowly getting back to peddling...but only for exercise.

Much the same for me. Before Motorcycles, cycling was a big thing for me. Used to race, mainly track, a few 12 hours road courses and TT. Still love to ride anything that gives me speed, Mtb, road, sking. Not the same as in my younger days. Still fun though.
Best Wishes for 2018.

油井緋色;2540062 said:
A friend in HK had this done to their bike by a mechanic after asking for a new chain. I've never seen this before...is this right? lol

Safety wire looks okay. New chain, not so much. I don't think I've seen a "new" chain look so shoddy.

Has anybody Ever had a cir-clip master link come off when it was installed correctly?
I've never had or seen that happen unless the squid was swimming in the wrong direction and I trash the heck out of my chains with rocks, sand, branches, logs, fence wire and from crashing badly so it isn't from not thoroughly torture testing them. Just curious.

The clip got spit off and the side plate disappeared. Hence using the lock wire.
Pardon my skepticism but are you sure the clip was on right?
besides add: wiring those 2 parts together isn't going to accomplish very much imho considering the clip holds the side plate on, what's to stop both from magically flying off? and what side force made it fail in the first place?

Back
Top Bottom