Purchasing Alberta bike | GTAMotorcycle.com

Purchasing Alberta bike

Iceman

A friend of mine is considering buying an 06 harley dyna. It has been in Ontario for at least one year and is still registered and plated in Alberta.
This represents a fairly significant investment for him and I'd like to see it done safely.
What needs to be done to insure it has a clean title (no major accidents or liens)? Will a carfax report suffice? Does Alberta provide anything similar to a uvip?
I have Googled this but it wasn't clear to me and I'd like to hear from those who have done it.
I do know another member recently got stuck with a cbr1000rr that couldn't be plated in Ontario and don't want to see that happen to my friend.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

If its still registered and plated in Alberta just get the current owner to transfer into Ontario as an unfit (if they can't be bothered to plate it) ?
Then its pretty simple, or should be...

Run the VIN through the CPIC lookup tool to make sure it's not reported stolen there.

http://app.cpic-cipc.ca/English/searchformvin.cfm

Then yeah, the seller really should jump through the few very small hoops to get an Ontario ownership..it's not hard. If they can't be bothered, make sure the price reflects the effort involved...and the time of year.

www.carproof.com run a full search and it will let you know if there was a lien, any insurance claims against the bike, reported stolen etc. I do a lot of history searchs and find carproof better for Canadian vehicles with carfax a little hit and miss.

I was at the DMV this morning at 8:00 and the line was down the hall already... I know you are thinking whatever it was lined up but the DMV didn't open until 8:30, by the time they actually opened they already had to kick people out of the building because they were over capacity.

To add to the actual thread... Carfax is a good idea if you are worried it might have been in an accident, I would at least do the CPIC search; really its probably what the DMV uses to check for stolen vehicles anyway..

Line up anytime I go to one in the GTA. Short lines are when it's only to the front door. ;)

There are some hidden gems out there, where you hardly every wait more than 5 minutes. Saved me a lot of time in 2017, I've been there at least 10 times.

Back
Top Bottom