Ipad 4 not charging question | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ipad 4 not charging question

GVH

OK my mothers ipad 4 has decided to not charge. More specifically when plugged in it makes a sound and very briefly shows the charging symble. this goes away and it say "NOT CHARGING". In actual fact it will charge but incredibly slowly and seem to be getting slower. I have tried all the suggestions found on the internet. New cable, new charger, different wall plugs, reboot but no luck. Last options seem to be hard reset to hello screen or call the apple minions to setup an appointment. Problem is these are selling for as low as $225 now and this is way out of warranty.

Anyone experience this problem.

Did you check the charging port for built up lint or other crap. Use a toothpick to clear it out.

Yes, check the port. The lightening ports do collect crud and once it reaches a certain point the plugs will not seat correctly and these sorts of things start to happen. Have experienced it twice on 2 of our old iPhone 6’s.

Use a toothpick (non conductive) with it powered down and see what you can dig out from the bottom and the sides.

We had to resort to a repair place for one of them as it turned out it was *really* jammed full of lint and such and needed a professionals eye - in about 60 seconds with a really small pair of tweezers they pulled out several balls of lint and junk and the charging port (and behaviour) was like new again. Didn’t charge us anything either, bonus. :)

Be careful on the service place though, some unscrupulous places will just immediately say “you need a new charging port” without even attempting to clean it.

Did you check the charging port for built up lint or other crap. Use a toothpick to clear it out.

Good call forgot to mention I did try this with a wooden drink umbrella. Nothing came out.

Good call forgot to mention I did try this with a wooden drink umbrella. Nothing came out.

Consider a professional place like my above reply.

I cleaned my wife’s once and got very little out. Then the professional with the proper tools pulled out all sorts of stuff. Problem solved.

Ok looks like I need to get some tooth picks and better eyes. Give the port a good going over.

maybe try one of those little cans of clean compressed air and blow it?

If this is the problem it won't work... this is usually something that happens with phones (pocket lint) but I guess it could happen to tablets too. You get Something in the port, and plugging in a connector just pushes it down and out of the way. Repeat this a couple hundred times and you have some densely packed fibres that kinda look like insulation once you start pulling it out. The annoying part is how small of a tool you need to get in there... I once made a pick by whittling down a toothpick, just be careful not to break it off in there

Are you using an Apple charge cable? Or aftermarket? .. some “other than Apple” cords won’t charge properly

Are you using an Apple charge cable? Or aftermarket? .. some “other than Apple” cords won’t charge properly

Came to mind, but he mentioned trying several different cables and chargers.

I use nothing but aftermarket cables (the current white ones from Dollarama are actually really good, even supporting high speed charging) and although I get the occasional dud/failure, they generally work well.

If this is the problem it won't work... this is usually something that happens with phones (pocket lint) but I guess it could happen to tablets too. You get Something in the port, and plugging in a connector just pushes it down and out of the way. Repeat this a couple hundred times and you have some densely packed fibres that kinda look like insulation once you start pulling it out. The annoying part is how small of a tool you need to get in there... I once made a pick by whittling down a toothpick, just be careful not to break it off in there

yeah this makes sense

and I can tell y'all from past experience
that spraying brake clean in there is also a terrible idea

Back
Top Bottom