Quiet Or Warm helmet | GTAMotorcycle.com

Quiet Or Warm helmet

bigpoppa

Currently in the market for a new helmet, but is it a correct assumption that quiter helmets will also be the warmer ones?

Does anyone know of any helmets that don't have a lot of airflow, but also dont fog the shield up too much?

Schubert(and the like) will be out of the question simply due to the price tag

If its ECE rated thats a bonus too

thanks

What's your budget and style?

I believe you should always wear plugs/ear buds while riding so a noisy helmet shouldnt be much of an issue anyways. I currently have a Shark SKWAL with built in LEDs that i love the look of but i can't recommend it due to being on my 3rd visor...very very bad build quality. This upcoming season i'm planning to try out an LS2 Metro Modular helmet as i tend to like to yak with other riders at the lights and would make conversations in stores at checkout, etc easier.

TBH quiet is not important, warmth is. I'm trying to extend my riding seasons in the future and a warm helmet is always welcome

I just assume if its quiet, its probably warm

I know of the Skwal, they have the Skwal 2 now with even more pronounced LED lights

Budget isn't an issue long as its not over 500$

I'm guessing snowmobile helmets are probably warm, don't know if its a good idea to ride with those though

IME, the biggest change you can make to keep your head warm is a neck warmer and/or something that covers the bottom half of your face and is tucked into your jacket. Getting the wind blast away from your skin makes a magical difference and doesn't affect fogging much.

Yep, got a pretty sweet balaclava for christmas, now i look like a ninja/bank robber, the material is perfect and it covers my entire head+neck

IME, even a Schuberth C3 is only good to 50 km/h or so, depending on the wind. Then you need earplugs. It was the warmest/hottest helmet I've tried so far. A scarf or ski mask of some sort will be your best bet. Some helmet brands offer neoprene chin curtains, like HJC. It's all about keeping your neck insulated, IMO. Shoeis were fine at highway speeds in rain/hail around 2C for 3-4 hours.

One thing that can significantly contribute to a quiet helmet is a wind slippery design (wind tunnel testing) and that also has the benefit of being easier on your neck which significantly contributes to rider comfort. Something I don't care for is air vents located directly at your temples, in cold weather with those open or leaking a draft it feels like somebody drilling holes into your forehead, way better if the vent is located more rearward and near the very top of the helmet.

Helmets are like motorcycles in that the lightest ones cost more money and lightweight typically performs better. Anything around your neck will make the helmet quieter inside because the bottom side of the helmet is always the most open part. An effective seal around the face shield is important because a poorly fitting shield can even produce wind noise at speed.

The motorcycle shows are your best opportunity to view and try out helmets, is also the place where you will find lots of clearance sales on last year or new release models all in the same place. I like the fit of my Nexx carbon which is very light and expensive, but that same helmet design is available in a less expensive poly version. You need to try them all on to know what works for your own head.

Obviously avoid completely black helmets they are less visible and absorb solar heat.

Since you got a balaclava you should be set with any helmet. For snowmobiling I wear a balaclava with a regular motocross helmet that lets a ton of air in and I have no issues being cold.

Back
Top Bottom