Motorcycle industry is in deep trouble and needs help fast | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle industry is in deep trouble and needs help fast

Im not sure about the big market down south, but in canada, price point, insurance, and weather probably has the biggest effect.

If insurance wasn't so crazy, id probably be on a tuono right now

油井緋色;2539950 said:
I'm not exactly sure how they'd "market" past objective facts. No matter how they twist and turn it won't make the above untrue.

The whole point of marketing and advertising is to convince people to buy stuff they don't need.

Besides, if your generation is so concerned about money, why are they buying new $1600 smartphones every 18 months...?

Besides, if your generation is so concerned about money, why are they buying new $1600 smartphones every 18 months...?

Same reason they lease BMWs they cant afford(Im not sure why, id just rather spend that kind of money on track days if i had it)

The whole point of marketing and advertising is to convince people to buy stuff they don't need.

Because sheeple.

the reason is unimportant. It was more of a rhetorical question.

Money *is* being spent by young people. Just not on vehicles. It's the job of the industry to figure out how to make cars and bikes as cool and desirable as smartphones and vacations.

bingo!

The reason is unimportant. It was more of a rhetorical question.

Money *is* being spent by young people. Just not on vehicles. It's the job of the industry to figure out how to make cars and bikes as cool and desirable as smartphones and vacations.

How do you make something already super cool, cooler?

Perhaps honda should throw money at hooligans to wheelie up and down the streets?(on second thought thats probably illegal)

Problem is you can't check your phone when your on a 7 hour ride. That's an impossible sell to some people.

Problem is you can't check your phone when your on a 7 hour ride. That's an impossible sell to some people.

Ram mounts bro, ram mounts. (not that i recommend doing that)

Perhaps they should do stunt shows or something in public?

If insurance wasn't so crazy, id probably be on a tuono right now

Insurance for me for the fz09 is around $850 full coverage. The Tuono was under a grand...

That's less than I pay for my 20 year old bike...

I'm still considering both bikes for my next. I don't see how it could be that much more than the FZ09 for you.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

All the new bikes have LCD screens. It won't be very long...

ztg4zt.jpg

I actually don't know, besides phones becoming the new status symbol (especially true for Chinese...like the idiots leasing BMWs that can't afford them.)

I'm pretty sure people still buy **** that they don't need...they just buy cheaper **** that they don't need and not something in 5 digits lol

Insurance for me for the fz09 is around $850 full coverage. The Tuono was under a grand...

I'm still considering both bikes for my next. I don't see how it could be that much more than the FZ09 for you.

Haven't checked but I am also somewhat biased against non jap bikes, the fz has tons of parts out there, a big aftermarket, and a few other things

How do you make something already super cool, cooler?

Perhaps honda should throw money at hooligans to wheelie up and down the streets?(on second thought thats probably illegal)

Some already do it... Some of those young guys you see in the US riding atvs and dirt bikes around the city streets.. are being paid to do it. Some of them quite well.

This report is obviously fake and just a good toilet bowl read...

...cause no one mentioned the 1 thing killing this industry.

INSURANCE!

My nephew turns 16 in February. I got him a book about safe driving techniques and habits for Christmas. On talking to his dad (my brother), turns out "Brent" isn't really interested in driving. I'm ~51 now; I recall when I was 16 I was dying for a license. Times change. My brother says he likes "video games" now. :shrug: What are ya gonna do?

When I was growing up minibikes, dirt bikes, trail riding and motocross were huge. There were four of five of us on the street that had bikes and we'd go out to the fields (that were then) across from the Burlington Bowl or to the "Clay Pits" at King Road and the North Service road in north Burlington and ride until we ran out of gas, then push the bikes home. We'd clean them, wrench on them, rebuild them, service them etc on milk crates pilfered from behind the local Becker's convenience store. We'd get all the magazines (Motocross Action, Dirt Bike etc) and be reading these things in class instead of paying attention. Some of us went on to race more seriously, others just stayed on the trails.

But then riding at the 'Bowl or the 'Pits was outlawed with one sweep of a legislative pen: Somewhere, two riders came together and got hurt. Their families sued the city involved and won and all of a sudden, a dark cloud descended: Every city and region outlawed bikes on public and and overnight bikes fell silent. I recall needing green plates on bikes and insurance. Cops patrolled all the old haunts and they went silent. Nothing ever replaced all that.

Even in the 'burbs very few people wrench on their cars anymore. Few, if any fathers are under the hood of the car teaching their kids (boys or girls) what's what, how to fix this or that etc. Even stuff like snowblowers and lawnmowers -- if they have them -- are tossed instead of being fixed by these know-nothings. Today's dads don't know **** and they've raised a cohort of kids that know even less.

In those days kids played with other kids, with material things in their yards, in parks and on the street; hands-on, physical, risk of getting bruises, skinned knees or gasp a broken bone. Not so today. Now it's fat, bubble-wrapped indoors, video games, phones, tablets and other devices and parents that encourage it all.

Schools press the eco-agenda, effectively demonizing anything internal combustion while parents are ridiculously risk-averse. With nothing going on at home, active campaigns against such things in schools and a sheltered existence in the glow of a screen, there's been little interest in two-wheeled locomotion. This is what the motorcycle companies are facing now, especially when the previous is combined with piano-wire tight home budgets.

I'm not sure there is a fix for this issue. Car makers are struggling with relevance and have turned to making their cars effectively smart phones on wheels. Motorcycles by their nature require a different sort of interaction that just isn't "a thing" today.

Glad I grew up when I did.

Last edited:
This report is obviously fake and just a good toilet bowl read...

...cause no one mentioned the 1 thing killing this industry.

INSURANCE!

It's a US study. I don't think they have the same oppressive rates as Canada does. And Canada only accounts for 10% of all North American sales, so high Canadian insurance probably doesn't factor into their study too much.

Age, riding experience, multi line discounts, location?

Based on your profile you may be well outside the Toronto insurance stranglehold.

Age, riding experience, multi line discounts, location?

Based on your profile you may be well outside the Toronto insurance stranglehold.
For sure that has something to do with it. 17 years riding (since I was 19) But there wasn't much difference between the fz09 and the 1100 tuono rr. I was surprised. I guess not alot of riders wreck aprilias. More of a "gentlemen's express" I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom