Salad anyone? Ranch, Thousand Island or Ecoli dressing | GTAMotorcycle.com

Salad anyone? Ranch, Thousand Island or Ecoli dressing

nobbie48

Site Supporter
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-hea...e-coli-infections-linked-romaine-lettuce.html

So Health Canada says there is a problem and while I understand the magnitude of tracing the problem an update would be nice.

1 dead and 40 sick not including my daughter who was ill, possibly due to a bad store mixed salad.

No solid advice, recall or whatever. Just a heads up with no direction.

My wife overheard a conversation at the grocers a few days ago.

Basically a shopper asked a produce clerk if the lettuce was safe. He said "I think so", a less than reassuring reply.

Health Canada could at least give the rotation life cycle of lettuce so we would know when the bad stuff had run its course.

I'm getting tired of cole slaw and the dandelions aren't due for 5 months.

Wash your veggies & soak them

What did you expect from a produce clerk, some in depth knowledge? They are paid to put stock onto the shelf not much more.

Seems simple don't eat Romaine lettuce, buy the other kinds.

Dark green is better for you than iceberg....when without e-coli.

But doesn't everyone wash their produce...well?

We wash everything but would prefer foods that the farmer didn't take to market in a manure spreader.

Do restaurants wash produce?

Dark green is better for you than iceberg....when without e-coli.

But doesn't everyone wash their produce...well?

I'm too lazy.

........looks like I should start.

If you see anything that looks like a hairy cold capsule with long tentacles, don't eat it.

If you see anything that looks like a hairy cold capsule with long tentacles, don't eat it.
You have microscopic vision?

hah should have got a full 4 star rating for the "extra"

Sent from my iPad using GTAMotorcycle.com

You have microscopic vision?
Don't need it, I have microscopes :rolleyes: as microscopic bugs go E.Coli is huge, measuring roughly 3 microns in length:
ecoli-1184px.jpg

and even more scary, they thrive in a 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit environment where they can double in numbers every 20 minutes,
so after 7 or 8 hours one can become one million. Great news is ~15 seconds exposure to 160 degrees F is enough to kill the li'l buggers.

Don't need it, I have microscopes :rolleyes: as microscopic bugs go E.Coli is huge, measuring roughly 3 microns in length:
ecoli-1184px.jpg

and even more scary, they thrive in a 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit environment where they can double in numbers every 20 minutes,
so after 7 or 8 hours one can become one million. Great news is ~15 seconds exposure to 160 degrees F is enough to kill the li'l buggers.
If that interest you, try reading about retroviruses

If that interest you, try reading about retroviruses
Microscopes tend to interest me because I started my own scientific instrument business in 1976 specializing in precision optical based medical and research equipment. You might say I am fairly intimate with microscopes, microtomes, eye test equipment and some of the hi-tech goodies commonly used in metallurgy labs, hospital laboratories and research facilities, but that knowing or caring a little something about the actual bugs the experts are looking at is little more then an occupational hazard. For the most part the swimmy crawly things that live inside us just gross me out.

I ran an electron microscope. It's really cool seeing something that cannot be perceived by light.

Zeiss has some pretty cool stuff.

Most likely bovine strains, but small possibility it's human in origin if farmers spray fields with sewage sludge.

I'm surrounded by e-coli everyday at work, among other pathogens. Got one hell of an immune system over the last 23 years. Hardly ever sick. First year was rough though.

Trials, ever service the wastewater treatment industry?

... Trials, ever service the wastewater treatment industry?
If they use microscopes in Canada I probably serviced their equipment at some time or another, but I never did any on-site service calls to a waste treatment plant. Serviced a Lot of cytology microscopes, never touched one until after I sprayed it down with 409 cleaner first. Lots of sales and service experience on dark field, DIC, fluorescent and phase contrast microscopes :| those are the ones where you get to watch the live stuff swimming around. My major manufacturers were Zeiss, American Optical, Reichert, Jung, Canon, Heine, Bausch&Lomb, Trilogic, Nikon, Leica and RMC. Also did a lot of work on refractometers, cryo, ultra and rotary microtomes, tissue processors and microtome knife sharpeners. Got pretty good at servicing binoculars too but there is no money in those.

Cool. We had an Olympus BH2 for decades for micro-organism identification. Just retired it for an Omax with an lcd monitor.
I use it almost everyday to get a bug count and the odd time for filamentous bacteria like Nocardia, Thiothrix etc.

We go through a LOT of antiseptics here, especially in the lab.

My wife has made me a salad for the last three days in a row...and I just caught her reading through the life insurance paperwork. Should I be worried ???

If they use microscopes in Canada I probably serviced their equipment at some time or another, but I never did any on-site service calls to a waste treatment plant. Serviced a Lot of cytology microscopes, never touched one until after I sprayed it down with 409 cleaner first. Lots of sales and service experience on dark field, DIC, fluorescent and phase contrast microscopes :| those are the ones where you get to watch the live stuff swimming around. My major manufacturers were Zeiss, American Optical, Reichert, Jung, Canon, Heine, Bausch&Lomb, Trilogic, Nikon, Leica and RMC. Also did a lot of work on refractometers, cryo, ultra and rotary microtomes, tissue processors and microtome knife sharpeners. Got pretty good at servicing binoculars too but there is no money in those.

I've always wanted a good microscope even though I have no idea what constitutes "Good" and what one would cost. It's probably part of my mad scientist fetish.

A friend gave me an old oscilloscope that makes the rec room 1950's Flash Gordon-ish.

I think I saw a YouTube video on how to make an electron microscope. One of those and a trip to the cemetery for some body parts and Halloween will never be the same.

Back
Top Bottom