Gopro or action cam guys... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Gopro or action cam guys...

perferd

I just bought a hero 5 session and will be mounting it to my helmet. I am wondering if any of you guys piggy back it with a power pack? I know the cam itself only runs for 1.5 to 2 hrs on a single charge so I am thinking about adding a power supply to it to extend the life. If you already do this which one do you use? Where do you have your pack mounted or stashed?

Thx

I personally bring 1 battery for every hour of footage I intend to record. We almost always end up stopping for gas or to put in a new way point or stop for some other reason before the battery dies. My buddy and I both run ours chin mounted. He runs a usb cable from the chin along the chin bar of his helmet, and it dangles down near the chin strap down to a power bank in his inner chest pocket. I think he gets about 4 hours of recording with a 128 gig card. Can't remember if he was battery or memory limited.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

I have a Hero 4. Advertised battery time at 1080 is 1.5hours, I never got more than 1 hour from a battery. If you use any options (like image stabilization), expect only 45minutes/battery. With a piggyback battery I got more 1hr 45min. Hero 5 is a little better, you'lll probably get an extra 15 minutes/battery, or about 1hr at 1080P based on published specs. Charge time is 2-4 hours/battery depending on your charger.

GoPro designed their cases for underwater use, they were not thinking about anything that needs more than an hour of recording time. If your rides are less than 1hr it's a great option otherwise you'll spend at least 2 hours blacked out charging for every hour of recording. I bought the GoPro to record a trip around Superior. I left Markham with my new cam recording, it shut off by the time I hit Bradford. I plugged in the battery and it finished charging by the time I got to the Soo. I dropped in to a Walmart and bought a $50 knokoff that accommodated a USB cable so I could record full time. That cheapie camera performed as well as the GoPro and recorded non stop for 8000KM.

I eventually drilled out my GoPro case so I could run a cable to the battery. Now I run 2 cameras, one forward looking, the other GoPro rear looking. I think the Hero 5 might have nixed that option when they put the charging port is behind a door.

After 2 years both batteries on the GoPro are dead, it only works when plugged in to a power source. The $50 GearPro is still performing as new.

I just bought a hero 5 session and will be mounting it to my helmet. I am wondering if any of you guys piggy back it with a power pack? I know the cam itself only runs for 1.5 to 2 hrs on a single charge so I am thinking about adding a power supply to it to extend the life. If you already do this which one do you use? Where do you have your pack mounted or stashed?

Thx

What purpose are you using it for? For scenery recording that you want to keep or for more of a dashcam type of usage in case you need video proof?

If it's the latter, you're better off getting a dashcam like this that I've got plugged into a 12v socket powered off the battery. After every ride, I just pull the plug out of the 12v socket. It continually records and loops over the old footage once the SD disk fills up. Also have 1 in my car. Been flawless so far.

https://www.amazon.ca/AUTO-VOX-Dash...1514478604&sr=8-21&keywords=dashcams+for+cars

Thx for the responses guys...

Am wondering if there is a difference between letting the battery run low then plugging in the power supply or running the whole time hooked to the power supply?

For instance cam plus power pack equals 4hrs but cam connected to power pack whole time only equals 3hrs...get what I mean ? Lol

Back
Top Bottom