Anyone got any bike camping trips planned for the new yr? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone got any bike camping trips planned for the new yr?

0765392_1

here is the stove i use, lots of good info thanks alot

jetboil is the way to go. also check youtube for peoples lists and don't forget bike tools/tubes for emergencies.

Really looking forward to more moto camping trips this year. Would like to aim for a run up to James Bay when the bugs die down but before that I’m looking forward to setting up a comfy base in Algonquin for a few days to set out on some trips north of the park. Would be happy to share a site with a few like minded people too if anyone is interested. Most of the campsites in Algonquin allow a few tents per site I believe.

Thats how i used to think too...but im guessing you cant just find a spot and pitch a tent for the night, likely someone owns the land, so its either private, or govt land

Thats the only reason i haven't gotten a dual sport yet...used to think you could just go anywhere offroad you wanted, just point and twist throttle...but apparently doesn't work like that....you need permits/memberships...can only ride on designated land....etc etc etc

Actually it CAN work like that. I take a northern trip most summers and we rough camp or vagrant camp for the most part. Ride down a gravel road or snowmobile trail to find a spot out of sight and then set up tents and start looking for fire wood. Like the OP I travel on a KLR that makes this easier but I also camped in the same way when I had my FZ6 and my Goldwing.

The most important item to remember is a camp chair with a back. After a long day you need a decent place to lounge with a drink.

Last edited:
I have a done quite a bit of moto camping and its all about small, light equipment. I have a 2 jockey/1 grown man sized tent that packs up very small. I coated it with a silicone spray each spring and it has always held up even in heavy rain. My one "luxury" is a cot sized air mattress. My back won't stand sleeping directly on the ground but even that takes up very little space and being all rubber means it doesn't matter if it gets wet, it can easily be dried off. Other than that I recommend a warm but compact sleeping bag, and a small burner and 1 small pot as a fire isn't always feasible (especially if you're not camping in a park of some kind). When sneaky camping on the side of a road you can't always find firewood or its wet or you'll draw too much attention to yourself if you light a fire. You can boil water on your burner and carry "spaceman food" with you and *boom* you're eating like a king!

Other than that, think of the worst case and plan for it. A tire repair kit is the best way to prevent a puncture. I swear just carrying one prevents 95% of all tire punctures! Tylenol, gravol, imodium (seriously, if you even need it once you'll be so glad you packed it!), a first aid kit. You can get the tiny sized toothpastes etc at any pharmacy. A good multi-tool can be your best friend. Don't forget the sunscreen. Honestly, you'll be surprised just how little you actually need to bring. You'll be spending most of the day riding and just setting up at night to sleep and then packed up again in the morning. A tiny camp stool/chair might be something worth the space as if you're sneaky camping you won't have a picnic table and it sucks to sit in the dirt until you're ready to crawl into your sac.

Most of the campsites in Algonquin allow a few tents per site I believe.

All campgrounds inside Algonquin Park allow a maximum of 2 tents per site and that includes any cook tents/screen tents and I believe max occupancy for one site is 6 campers. Sometimes they will be lenient but often not. Also you usually only get parking for 1 vehicle per site so any additional bikes will have to pay for parking. If you are planning on riding out in the mornings its best to get a site as near to the exit as possible. You won't have the most private spot in the park but you'll avoid a LOT of angry neighbours complaining to the park staff about your bike leaving early in the morning. I camp several times per year in Algonquin and folks are serious about wanting quiet. Unless you're riding a Goldwing you'll get someone complaining about your bike, even if it's got a stock exhaust.

I envy you guys who are willing/able to do this sorta thing...
I think about moto camping for my trip out to Vancouver this year, but then I remember how much I like taking a hot shower every day and sleeping in a bed.
If anyone needs tips on booking hotels... I'm here for ya.

I envy you guys who are willing/able to do this sorta thing...
I think about moto camping for my trip out to Vancouver this year, but then I remember how much I like taking a hot shower every day and sleeping in a bed.
If anyone needs tips on booking hotels... I'm here for ya.

as my wife says , Hilton over Colemen, everytime.....

I'll be honest, I love camping, but we bought a pop-up when we had our first daughter and it has made ALL the difference for us! We haven't tent camped now in almost 4 years as a family. If I'm on an extended (3day +) motorcycle trip I prefer a hotel too. I want a hot shower and a comfy bed on a multi day ride. But sometimes it is fun to rough it on a bike. To know that you have everything you need strapped onto the bike. Self contained. For a night or two it's quite fun, but I almost always book into a KOA or other campground. Most of them have some sort of shower and washroom facility which I much prefer to a fallen log, shovel and roll of TP! I do enjoy jumping in a lake or river for my morning bath though!

Back
Top Bottom