Anyone got any bike camping trips planned for the new yr? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone got any bike camping trips planned for the new yr?

ToSlow

Site Supporter
I was thinking on trying the off road camping next summer, i was wondering if anyone here has experience doing this and got any tips on what to pack for a weekend adventure? So let me have the good and the bad.:)

Thanks

That is such a broad question that it's difficult to answer. Perhaps you let us know if you already have some camping gear and what sort of camping you've done in the past.

I found camping with the motorcycle is similar to backpacking. You need to pare down to only what you really need to keep weight and bulk down. If you're new to camping, testing out your sleeping bag and tent in the back yard is a good way to be familiar with your equipment and to know if it works. Starting out with overnight trips will ensure that if you make a misjudgement on food or gear, the consequence is only going to be a poor night's sleep, or at worst, a ride home in the dark.

And yes, I will be camping this summer. I've had to pare down my original camping plans for next summer, but I'm going to do the James Bay Route at least.

I have camp lots in a tent, but not on a motor bike. i got a few pieces of gear stove,pots,tent,sleeping bag. most of everything i need. i was just wondering what to expect in northern ontario and what are the items to bring for a weekend venture.

Last edited:
always take the good sleeping bag, you can unzip one thats too warm, but it really sucks to be cold

...i got a few pieces of gear stove,pots,tent,sleeping bag. most of everything i need.

Ditch the stove and pots. Unless you really have lots of space. I usually eat on the run and buy vegetables/fruit/grains as I can. If I want meat, I'll use a telescopic metal stick to cook it over a fire. No need for a pan. Water is more valuable to carry.

Your tent should be big (or small) enough to fit you, your back pack and your important things you don't want to get wet. A tarp is way more useful than the extra space needed for a big tent. I bring a small tarp that's 10x20 (i think?..might be 15x20).

The enjoyment is the ride. Everything else is budgeting to be able to do the ride.

My most expensive piece of gear is my sleeping bag. It's not super fancy but it's a good mummy bag rated for -5 celsius from Canadian Tire. I've slept in it in a tent at 3 degrees and have been fine wearing full clothing and a tarp to keep body heat in. I've also used it in my van well below freezing...but that was cheating inside a van.

Wetness will ruin your motivation...at least for me, it does. I have a drysack backpack and extra drysacks to put in my side bags because my side bags are not waterproof. I keep my clothing and rain gear in there.

My rain gear has changed a lot. I have yet to find something that I like that's not as expensive as my race leathers.

Bike prep/maintenance is a biggy too. i'm sure you can find checklists online...but make sure you do prep and inspections that cover the amount of KM you are projecting to ride.

Your original post says "offroad camping".....are you planning on wilderness camping off a trail? Type of bike?

Your original post says "offroad camping".....are you planning on wilderness camping off a trail? Type of bike?

That"s my plan to go north and find some old back road and take till i find a spot that is ok for camping

Do you guys carry bear spray in case you come across an angry bear or moose?

Also I wouldn't carry food, there are restaurants everywhere, unless you are going REALLY remote or unless you badly need to save money.

decide on some easy basic meals, restaurants are not everywhere in the north, down a back road or logging trail, and they dont keep the hrs you might want. Waking at 6 to find out coffee and a bagel are at 8 sucks.

That"s my plan to go north and find some old back road and take till i find a spot that is ok for camping

You'll probably need a pot then lol. Will be difficult to stop somewhere for some snacks if you're riding in the bush.

You'll probably need a pot then lol. Will be difficult to stop somewhere for some snacks if you're riding in the bush.
Couldn't you just carry things like granola bars and beef jerky, they'd probably hold you over for a day or two. The problem with a pot is they take up so much space.

Couldn't you just carry things like granola bars and beef jerky, they'd probably hold you over for a day or two. The problem with a pot is they take up so much space.

I have a pot and stove. Takes up a bit more room than a cup. Fits altogether.
Look for the smallest stove, pot, sleeping bag, tent etc you can find. I carry everything on my bike including a portable shower and a cot to sleep on. If you spend the time to research great you can find all the hear you need and will fit in one pannier.

MSR water bladder....dromedary....best piece of equipment ever! Buy one and make sure you fill it whenever you can. Check online for the dried meal reviews....most I've found are pretty good (if you drink enough prior). Take less clothing than you think you'll need....much less....then take even less. Buy a decent LED headlamp. If you are going off road and camping check to make sure you are not on private property...if you want to camp free of charge with some very interesting folks outside of crown land look here...http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/tent-space-sign-up-thread.149585/
Choosing a camp spot can be pretty basic but an interesting discussion is here.... https://www.adventureriderradio.com...iderations-motorcycle-maintenance-on-the-road

agree with the thinking on pots and pans
unless you have a 2 wheeled yacht with tons of storage
I'd focus on sleeping comfort gear
a day on the bike after tossing and turning all night
and getting up sore and tired makes for a long day

I carry a collapsible cooler and plate/knife/fork/can opener, roll of foil
stop in the last town for the day and grab a few beers
steak and a potato, a few green things...try to find a place with BBQ

if you roll by a larger grocery store
one of those ready made salads makes a decent lunch
if you're tired of the burger routine, and is cheap

all my storage focus is on a decent tent/bed/roll/sleeping bag
only thing I really miss is quality coffee first thing
but the logistics of fresh/quality coffee while bike camping are grim

i'll be riding a KLR 650. and thanks for the ideas. keep them coming as all info is great

Thats how i used to think too...but im guessing you cant just find a spot and pitch a tent for the night, likely someone owns the land, so its either private, or govt land

Thats the only reason i haven't gotten a dual sport yet...used to think you could just go anywhere offroad you wanted, just point and twist throttle...but apparently doesn't work like that....you need permits/memberships...can only ride on designated land....etc etc etc

For a weekend adventure, I'd pack very little food - mostly snacks like trail mix, apples, Clif bars and so on. If I wanted to do the stove thing, I would bring some oatmeal and make myself some breakfast and have soups for lunch using water from my Camelbak, which holds 2L. My stove is the MSR Dragonfly, which is noisy but very effective. If possible, I prefer to eat at something predictable like Subway and eat a 1/2 sub for lunch and save the other 1/2 sub for dinner. Less packing, no waste & no smells overnight.

With a bike like the KLR having such a long fuel range, I would make sure I fill up before nightfall, so that I could wake early and have a good ride in the morning before needing to stop for gas. I'll use a gps and have routes plotted or use it to navigate the trails on the go, but I always keep the paper maps as a backup (wrapped in ziplock bags). Even when I'm using GPS, I'll print up Google Maps images of my routes, especially if it's complicated with many turns. All electronics are stored in ziplock bags.

Running trails or for shorter weekend trips, I would prefer to not have sidecases, but a top box, a tank bag and maybe a dry sack with camping gear if needed.

If by 'north', you are meaning north of Algonquin, then bush camping should be pretty easy to find. I did have trouble once near Timmins finding a spot to bush camp, because it was going to be a really cold night and daylight was running out quick. All across Lake Superior and north along the #11 there were endless places to just pull over for a night - just don't wait until dusk to start looking for a place.

If I was going to bush camp, I would want a green or brownish tent. A good headlamp is an absolute must for me. Bug spray or a mesh headnet is a must at certain times of the year depending on where you go. I keep a moist towel in a zip lock bag to keep my visor and/or windscreen clean. I also keep some emergency cash, a spare set of keys and photocopies of my id somewhere hidden on my bike that I can access (without needing keys or tools).

For clothing, I would have one set of bike clothes and one set of off-the-bike clothes. Everything should be thin, light and quick to wash/dry if needed.

For sleeping, I use a Hotcore sleeping bag with a Thermarest and I'm comfy between -5 to 35deg in my Eureka El Capitan3 tent.

Before any trip, I do a dry run of packing my bike to make sure i am happy with how everything is packed. Items I need first are packed last, etc.
Your bike must be in good order. My clutch burned out on me in North Carolina area on a long weekend, so it was an expensive trip home via Uhaul.

ADVrider is an amazing resource for tried and tested spots to pitch your tent.

I have an MSR pressure water filtration thing, weighs less than 1 lb and will turn any creek/lake/big puddle into potable water in minutes. Water is heavy to carry.
Dragonfly stove and one pot. If your alone you eat out if that one pot.

Aeropress solves coffee issue, its compact and very good, its expensive but its like 30 trips to a starbucks.

Look into the new twig stoves, but remember during 'no fire season' , that includes twig stoves. They are very effective and tiny branches are every where, and if its cool at night it can be a pretend campfire.

Thats how i used to think too...but im guessing you cant just find a spot and pitch a tent for the night, likely someone owns the land, so its either private, or govt land

Thats the only reason i haven't gotten a dual sport yet...used to think you could just go anywhere offroad you wanted, just point and twist throttle...but apparently doesn't work like that....you need permits/memberships...can only ride on designated land....etc etc etc

Once you are out of the vicinity of Toronto there are tons of roads and paths you can take legally. As for camping, vast majority of crown land allows it.

Back
Top Bottom