At fault collision in the USA | GTAMotorcycle.com

At fault collision in the USA

CruisnGrrl

Site Supporter
A friend rear ended someone in the states, I believe he has full coverage (i'd have to ask to double check). Not much damage to the car that was hit, how ever my friend's car got skewered, the car that was hit had a hitch and it punched through the bumper into the rad on my friend's car. No airbags went off and no apparent injuries at the seen.

He has Canadian insurance, how screwed is he?

should be a typical at fault loss
injuries in the US are the big concern
litigious society

An Ontario insurance policy covers you the same in the USA as it would here, the only difference is the location.

Yes, the USA is litigious and a lawsuit could ensue, but I think the plantiff (the American) may reconsider whey they realize the cross border implications of trying such...and I'm going to assume that there were no injuries to the other party?

In the end, lets assume the other person your friend hit is a reasonable person who isn't going to run to a lawyer and just wants their car fixed and wasn't injured...basically, it'll cost your friend an at-fault on her record, but it shouldn't be any different than if it happened here in the end, the insurance company will do all the hard work settling the claim.

Agreed with above. In this case let the ins. co. deal with it. Canadian ins. covers US and maybe Mexico. Should state it in the policy.

My girlfriend is taking me on a Mini vacation to Georgia beginning tomorrow, We have normal vehicle insurance as well as CAA, Premier, which covers for trip interruption as well as getting the car back to me if something were to happen to it during the trip. I also bought travel insurance. Even a SMALL medical issue in the US results in thousands of dollars.

A few years ago a friend living in California without medical coverage had a hernia that required surgery and 3 days in hospital. The bill was just over $500,000!!!! The hospital called him and advised if he paid within 48 hours it would be reduced to just over $250,000 so he went to bank got a draft, (yes he is wealthy), and paid the $250,00!!!!!

My girlfriend is taking me on a Mini vacation to Georgia beginning tomorrow, We have normal vehicle insurance as well as CAA, Premier, which covers for trip interruption as well as getting the car back to me if something were to happen to it during the trip. I also bought travel insurance. Even a SMALL medical issue in the US results in thousands of dollars.

A few years ago a friend living in California without medical coverage had a hernia that required surgery and 3 days in hospital. The bill was just over $500,000!!!! The hospital called him and advised if he paid within 48 hours it would be reduced to just over $250,000 so he went to bank got a draft, (yes he is wealthy), and paid the $250,00!!!!!

This is no joke. We have a family friend in the US who was involved in a multi-vehicle collision that's been tied up with the insurance company/court for over a year. She had almost every bone in her left leg shattered and the bill was over $1mil. She had to take out a lien on her house just to pay it off, completely nuts.

We have a family friend in the US who was involved in a multi-vehicle collision that's been tied up with the insurance company/court for over a year. She had almost every bone in her left leg shattered and the bill was over $1mil. She had to take out a lien on her house just to pay it off, completely nuts.

This is why I don't complain about our taxes and healthcare system much. All you need to do is look south to realize how good we have it.

I don't complain about our taxes....it's how it's wasted I have a problem with. Imagine how much better our system would be without the billions wasted....by all levels of gov't.

I don't complain about our taxes....it's how it's wasted I have a problem with. Imagine how much better our system would be without the billions wasted....by all levels of gov't.

Indeed.

Amen. There is no wrong level of taxation if there's very little waste (there'll always be some).

A few year back I applied for travel insurance over the phone paying on a credit card. The paperwork arrives and everything matches the discussion so I go to Virginia for a meet. Get back on a Sunday night and Tuesday I get a letter from the insurer saying that since I hadn't returned the acknowledgement and the policy wasn't in force. My bad.

Two days later I'm in the hospital for four days due to a pulmonary embolism. Beautiful treatment and the bill was $45.00 for the ambulance. If it happened in the USA I would be remortgaging the house.

Details, details

Back
Top Bottom