Snowbike racing | GTAMotorcycle.com

Snowbike racing

Fingers crossed they allow snowbikes on the snowmobile trails one day. Until then pretty tough to justify buying one around here. I try to get to one snocross race every year so it'll be cool to watch anyways.

Fingers crossed they allow snowbikes on the snowmobile trails one day. Until then pretty tough to justify buying one around here. I try to get to one snocross race every year so it'll be cool to watch anyways.

That don't seem right, assuming you purchase a trail permit how could they possibly not allow it!

That don't seem right, assuming you purchase a trail permit how could they possibly not allow it!
It is not a snowmobile by definition, so not allowed on ofsc trails, neither are atvs etc.
As a side note, technically a side by side utv is not allowed in the ofatv club or trails as it doesn't meet the definition of an atv.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

It is not a snowmobile by definition, so not allowed on ofsc trails, neither are atvs etc.
As a side note, technically a side by side utv is not allowed in the ofatv club or trails as it doesn't meet the definition of an atv.

How do they define snowmobile? it has a track and it rides on snow, I don't get it.

I own land that I have allowed snowmobilers to put a trail across, maybe I should re-think that privilege. They wanted to clear the trail with an excavator recently and I said no way to that, there is a huge difference between a snowmobile riding across the snow surface and an excavator making a twin track road through the woods. Can't for the life of me see why a motorcycle fitted with a rear track and a front ski is not a snowmobile! I think we need to challenge that one.
Maybe try and register the track as a snow vehicle with MOT? Once they accept it, that would make it so imho

I can see what my next years winter project is going to be!

Near as I can find the Ontario motorized snow vehicles act states: “motorized snow vehicle” means a self-propelled vehicle designed to be driven primarily on snow; (“motoneige”)

I think you are being fed a snow job and if this does not qualify:
hqdefault.jpg

I would defy anyone to prove otherwise!

Near as I can find the Ontario motorized snow vehicles act states: “motorized snow vehicle” means a self-propelled vehicle designed to be driven primarily on snow; (“motoneige”)

I think you are being fed a snow job and if this does not qualify:
hqdefault.jpg

I would defy anyone to prove otherwise!
CAN I PURCHASE AN ONTARIO SNOWMOBILE TRAIL PERMIT FOR MY SNOW BIKE, ATV, SIDE BY SIDE, DIRT BIKE, ARGO OR SNY SIMILAR STOCK OR MODIFIED VEHICLE?

The short answer is no, in accordance with the Motorized Snow Vehicles Act of Ontario (MSVA), only vehicles designed, manufactured and registered with the Ministry of Transportation (MTO) as “motorized snow vehicles” are eligible to apply for an Ontario Snowmobile Trail Permit.
IF I APPLY FOR A SNOWMOBILE TRAIL PERMIT FOR A MACHINE WHICH WASN'T DESIGNED OR REGISTERED AS A MOTORIZED SNOW VEHICLE, WILL THE TRAIL PERMIT BE LEGAL?

When applying to the Ministry of Transportation (MTO) for a snowmobile trail permit, the applicant certifies that “I understand that the trail permit for which I am applying is valid only for the motorized snow vehicle identified in this application and is valid only where the sticker (permit) issued under this application is permanently affixed in the required position on that motorized snow vehicle. I certify that the information contained in this application is true and acknowledge and accept the responsibilities imposed by law”. If the permit application is incomplete or inaccurate, not only would the trail permit be void, the applicant may be exposed to liability.
HOW DOES THE MSVA DEFINE A "MOTORIZED SNOW VEHICLE"?

The MSVA states that a “motorized snow vehicle” means a self-propelled vehicle designed to be driven primarily on snow; (“motoneige”).
HOW DOES THE MSVA DETERMINE THAT A VEHICLE MEETS THE DEFINITION OF A "MOTORIZED SNOW VEHICLE"?

Section 21. (1) of the MSVA includes a requirement for new vehicles sold as MSV’s to display a National Safety Mark, that the Transport Canada and/or Snowmobile Safety Certification Committee (SSCC) sticker display on all vehicles sold as motorized snow vehicles in Canada.
Vehicle shall bear National Safety Mark
21. (1) No person who deals in motorized snow vehicles or cutters designed to be drawn by motorized snow vehicles shall sell or offer to sell a new motorized snow vehicle or cutter manufactured after the date this section comes into force that does not conform to the standards required under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada), or that does not bear the National Safety Mark referred to therein. R.S.O. 1990, c. M.44, s. 21 (1).
Section 1201 of the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Act (federal legislation) requires each snowmobile sold in Canada to comply with the requirements developed by the Snowmobile Safety and Certification Committee, Inc. (SSCC) a North American non-profit association that has developed safety standards for the manufacture and certification of snowmobiles.
1201. (1) Every snowmobile shall be constructed so that it con-forms to the requirements set out in the following standards:
(a) the Safety Standards for Snowmobile Product Certification, SSCC/11, published by the Snowmobile Safety and Certification Committee,
To determine if a vehicle is eligible to be classified as a snowmobile, it must meet the Safety Standards for Snowmobile Product Certification, SSCC/11 as referenced in the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety legislation, These certification standards include a variety of snowmobile-related safety equipment which must be installed on a new vehicle ranging from emergency kill switches to vehicle weight and minimum stopping distances. A vehicle certified as a Motorized Snow Vehicle for the purpose of registration with the Ministry of Transportation in Ontario must display the certification mark displayed on page 27 of the SSCC/11 certification document.

The following outlines the process the Ministry follows to determine if a vehicle can be legally registered as a Motorized Snow Vehicle (MSV).
Step 1: As a reference, Section 21 (1) of the MSVA includes a requirement for new vehicles sold as MSV's to display a National Safety Mark. "New" is relevant in that once a machine is initially registered with the Ministry, it retains the registration for the life of the vehicle.
21. (1) No person who deals in motorized snow vehicles or cutters designed to be drawn by motorized snow vehicles shall sell or offer to sell a new motorized snow vehicle or cutter manufactured after the date this section comes into force that does not conform to the standards required under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada), or that does not bear the National Safety Mark referred to therein. R.S.O. 1990, c. M.44, s. 21(1).
Step 2: Section 1201 of the federal Motor Vehicle Safety Act (MVSA), which should not be confused with the MSVA of Ontario, requires each snowmobile sold in Canada to comply with the requirements developed by the Snowmobile Safety and Certification Committee, Inc.(SSCC) a North American non-profit association that has developed safety standards for the manufacture and certification of snowmobiles.
1201. (1) Every snowmobile shall be constructed so that it conforms to the requirements set out in the following standards: (a) the Safety Standards for Snowmobile Product Certification, SSCC/11, published by the Snowmobile Safety and Certification Committee.
Step 3: To determine eligibility, you must refer to the Safety Standards for Snowmobile Product Certification, SSCC/11 referenced in the federal legislation which details the various safety equipment which must be installed on a new vehicle in order for it to obtain certification which is valid for the life of the vehicle. The 29 page regulations include requirements from emergency kill switches to minimum stopping distances. A vehicle certified as a Motorized Snow Vehicle for the purpose of registration with the Ministry of Transportation in Ontario must display the certification mark displayed on page 27 of the document.
Dirt bikes, ATVs, side by sides or other vehicles do not meet the requirement in SSCC/11 and do not display the certification mark, the MSVA does not consider the vehicles as MSVs.

CAN I PURCHASE AN ONTARIO SNOWMOBILE TRAIL PERMIT FOR MY SNOW BIKE, ATV, SIDE BY SIDE, DIRT BIKE, ARGO OR SNY SIMILAR STOCK OR MODIFIED VEHICLE?

The short answer is no, in accordance with the Motorized Snow Vehicles Act of Ontario (MSVA), only vehicles designed, manufactured and registered with the Ministry of Transportation (MTO) as “motorized snow vehicles” are eligible to apply for an Ontario Snowmobile Trail Permit.
IF I APPLY FOR A SNOWMOBILE TRAIL PERMIT FOR A MACHINE WHICH WASN'T DESIGNED OR REGISTERED AS A MOTORIZED SNOW VEHICLE, WILL THE TRAIL PERMIT BE LEGAL?

When applying to the Ministry of Transportation (MTO) for a snowmobile trail permit, the applicant certifies that “I understand that the trail permit for which I am applying is valid only for the motorized snow vehicle identified in this application and is valid only where the sticker (permit) issued under this application is permanently affixed in the required position on that motorized snow vehicle. I certify that the information contained in this application is true and acknowledge and accept the responsibilities imposed by law”. If the permit application is incomplete or inaccurate, not only would the trail permit be void, the applicant may be exposed to liability.
HOW DOES THE MSVA DEFINE A "MOTORIZED SNOW VEHICLE"?

The MSVA states that a “motorized snow vehicle” means a self-propelled vehicle designed to be driven primarily on snow; (“motoneige”).
HOW DOES THE MSVA DETERMINE THAT A VEHICLE MEETS THE DEFINITION OF A "MOTORIZED SNOW VEHICLE"?

Section 21. (1) of the MSVA includes a requirement for new vehicles sold as MSV’s to display a National Safety Mark, that the Transport Canada and/or Snowmobile Safety Certification Committee (SSCC) sticker display on all vehicles sold as motorized snow vehicles in Canada.
Vehicle shall bear National Safety Mark
21. (1) No person who deals in motorized snow vehicles or cutters designed to be drawn by motorized snow vehicles shall sell or offer to sell a new motorized snow vehicle or cutter manufactured after the date this section comes into force that does not conform to the standards required under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada), or that does not bear the National Safety Mark referred to therein. R.S.O. 1990, c. M.44, s. 21 (1).
Section 1201 of the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Act (federal legislation) requires each snowmobile sold in Canada to comply with the requirements developed by the Snowmobile Safety and Certification Committee, Inc. (SSCC) a North American non-profit association that has developed safety standards for the manufacture and certification of snowmobiles.
1201. (1) Every snowmobile shall be constructed so that it con-forms to the requirements set out in the following standards:
(a) the Safety Standards for Snowmobile Product Certification, SSCC/11, published by the Snowmobile Safety and Certification Committee,
To determine if a vehicle is eligible to be classified as a snowmobile, it must meet the Safety Standards for Snowmobile Product Certification, SSCC/11 as referenced in the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety legislation, These certification standards include a variety of snowmobile-related safety equipment which must be installed on a new vehicle ranging from emergency kill switches to vehicle weight and minimum stopping distances. A vehicle certified as a Motorized Snow Vehicle for the purpose of registration with the Ministry of Transportation in Ontario must display the certification mark displayed on page 27 of the SSCC/11 certification document.

The following outlines the process the Ministry follows to determine if a vehicle can be legally registered as a Motorized Snow Vehicle (MSV).
Step 1: As a reference, Section 21 (1) of the MSVA includes a requirement for new vehicles sold as MSV's to display a National Safety Mark. "New" is relevant in that once a machine is initially registered with the Ministry, it retains the registration for the life of the vehicle.
21. (1) No person who deals in motorized snow vehicles or cutters designed to be drawn by motorized snow vehicles shall sell or offer to sell a new motorized snow vehicle or cutter manufactured after the date this section comes into force that does not conform to the standards required under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada), or that does not bear the National Safety Mark referred to therein. R.S.O. 1990, c. M.44, s. 21(1).
Step 2: Section 1201 of the federal Motor Vehicle Safety Act (MVSA), which should not be confused with the MSVA of Ontario, requires each snowmobile sold in Canada to comply with the requirements developed by the Snowmobile Safety and Certification Committee, Inc.(SSCC) a North American non-profit association that has developed safety standards for the manufacture and certification of snowmobiles.
1201. (1) Every snowmobile shall be constructed so that it conforms to the requirements set out in the following standards: (a) the Safety Standards for Snowmobile Product Certification, SSCC/11, published by the Snowmobile Safety and Certification Committee.
Step 3: To determine eligibility, you must refer to the Safety Standards for Snowmobile Product Certification, SSCC/11 referenced in the federal legislation which details the various safety equipment which must be installed on a new vehicle in order for it to obtain certification which is valid for the life of the vehicle. The 29 page regulations include requirements from emergency kill switches to minimum stopping distances. A vehicle certified as a Motorized Snow Vehicle for the purpose of registration with the Ministry of Transportation in Ontario must display the certification mark displayed on page 27 of the document.
Dirt bikes, ATVs, side by sides or other vehicles do not meet the requirement in SSCC/11 and do not display the certification mark, the MSVA does not consider the vehicles as MSVs.
Pretty sure you just proved otherwise lol.

That's an awful lot to say about what I can sell, but does it also preclude me from acquiring a trail permit for a very old snowmobile or one that is home built?

I've been riding snowmobiles since they had tracks and skis made of wood:
hus-ski-444-120.jpg

... I guess the bottom line is, I don't own now and have never owned anything that qualifies as a snowmobile :/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom