Shipping motorcycle parts out of country for repair/modification | GTAMotorcycle.com

Shipping motorcycle parts out of country for repair/modification

DJM

Site Supporter
Looking at shipping my front forks to USA for cartridge installation. The install is free with the cartridge purchase from the same shop.

What's the deal with customs declaration when I ship them out? Do I declare the replacement value of the forks, the value of the service, the value of the purchased parts or just state for repairs?

Who are you using as your border broker or are you doing it yourself? If it was me I would contact UPS and ask them how best to do it, that is who I always used and never had a problem. Insure the heck out of it and if you get really lucky they will lose it.

If your not into gambling Id insure them for full replacement value, either new or used pricing depending on what you would be satisfied with if they loose or damage your package when its going in either direction.

I can say I have probably shipped and or had shipped to me likely 1000+ boxs of bike parts in my life time. 99% of the time I get everything no problems, but every once in a while shipping companies loose something, ship it to the wrong person, break or damage the parts inside the box, etc etc.....So insuring the package for the actual value is a good idea, seems like a lot of wasted money in some cases, but not if you have ever had to use the coverage due to loss or damage during shipping....

What's you preferred shipper J? UPS, FEDEX or someone else. Any experience with Canada Post?

What's you preferred shipper J? UPS, FEDEX or someone else. Any experience with Canada Post?

On the way to the US it does not really matter, but on the way back to you UPS will be the worst, Canada post (USPS shipped from US will turn over to Canadapost) will be the best in terms of cost to you receiving the package back in Canada

UPS will jack you up on import fees, their brokerage rates are straight robbery!

Canadapost has flate rate $5 for small $10 for large brokerage rates..UPS has charged me in comparison $80 each on 2 boxs shipped at the same time in the past! Dont get me started with the brown truck!

Also be sure whoever you use to fill out the customs documents properly, you want to insure for the value of the parts but not pay tax for that value. So you must clearly state on the docuemnts the value of the parts for insurance, but also the other value of service and parts being done to pay tax/duty on...If your not sure take it to a post office or shipping store like fedex etc and ask them to help you fill out the shipping documents correctly

Same goes for the shipper that is sending them back to you, you have to make sure they do their documents properly on their end also or your going to get screwed when you get them back
Example your forks are worth lets say $500 so you insure them for a $500 value. However on the way back they are not worth $500 anymore, because the added value of the parts and service you had done to them. But you do not want to pay tax on the full value, only on the value of the service and parts that had been installed in the US. So there is 2 values you need here, an insured value for the complete unit, and then a taxable value for parts and service done

Last edited:
Got it. Thanks for the great explanation.

agree the communication with shipper will have to be clear
to ensure paperwork done properly for smooth re-entry to Canada

if your servicing company routinely does cross-border business
they should be able to handle this properly

if not, I would see if you can send with the forks
a pre-completed return bill of lading for them to use

Sigh - wouldn't it be easier to just get them serviced locally ?
By the time you factor in the dollar exchange and shipping costs its likely a wash.

Do not use UPS! You've been warned. go with Fedex and you shouldn't have issues.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Agree with JohnnyP above:

Avoid UPS like the plague.

Insure them for every penny of what it would cost to replace them locally.

Declare them as "warranty return" or something like that for tax purposes so the receiver doesn't pay taxes, and make sure they ship them back to you that way as well so YOU don't get dinged on the return.

But yes, I must ask...given what shipping is going to cost you (it's gonna be major $$$ given the size and weight), would it not be cheaper to have it done locally?

Wow lol now I feel bad for even mentioning them! Any way you do it best luck with your forking service DJM ;)

The reason I ask is that I can't find a Canadian reseller/installer for these. They are Andreani cartridges http://www.andreanigroup.com/products/motorcycle/110|HD12/?lng=en and the only ones I can find for the inverted forks on my V-Rod. Ohlins would be my first choice but not offered by them at this time.

Since I know absolutely nothing about taking apart said forks and modifying them (requires lathework on a internal bushing) to accept these cartridges I was looking for an all-in-one purchase.

There's a place in North Carolina that's an authorized reseller of these cartridges, and offers free install with purchase hence my question on shipping the forks there for service. If anyone has any other advice to avoid shipping I'm all ears.

There's a place in North Carolina that's an authorized reseller of these cartridges, and offers free install with purchase hence my question on shipping the forks there for service. If anyone has any other advice to avoid shipping I'm all ears.

Why not ride down to North Carolina this coming season and have the cartridges installed?

Set it up and do it over a four day weekend.

Get some good riding in.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Y'know, that's a really good idea. About 11 hrs away.

If anyone has any other advice to avoid shipping I'm all ears.
If you haven't yet shipped the forks to the US for installation, I can offer my experience. I bought a set of Andreani cartridges for my Moto Guzzi V7. They required the same modification to the OEM forks, namely using a lathe to break welds inside the fork in order to remove the internal bushing. I got George at Corsa Meccanica to do the work. Corsa had contacts with a neighbouring firm to do the lathe work and they completed the install.

Corsa Meccanica, 34 Futurity Gate, Suite #1 Vaughan, ON L4K 1S6 | TEL: 905 760 9933 | FAX: 905 760 9934 | EMAIL: info@corsameccanica.com

It is possible that you could talk to a local machine shop about the work needed to remove the bushings, and tackle the remaining installation yourself.

How about Race Tech Suspension? They do V-rod fork cartridge mods. Look into them. They have a good reputation.
Mission Cycle is in Angus, ON and is their CDN authorized installer/dealer.

Rats, I found out that Andreani doesn't do the inverted forks on a vrod, only the conventionals.

The place I was talking about in NC can do Ohlins custom install although at a much higher price, NIX-30 cartridges I think they're called, that would be my first choice.

I'll check out Race-Tech though. Also see who's local for Ohlins and maybe up to the task.

Back
Top Bottom