Apple, the new VW | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Apple, the new VW

Yes, but the point is if you don't like Windows you can use any of the several versions of Linux OS (which includes Google). Also, anyone can write software for Windows because it is open source. If you're a gamer there is no other platform worth using. Not so with Apple, you're stuck with whatever they give you. I'm really not interested in any brand loyalty arguments here. I'm well aware there are a lot of trendy fanbois who love Apple no matter how crappy it is. There are benefits to both platforms, I just prefer the free-market of the PC over one controlled by one corporation.
Yep, it's true, Microsoft is 100% open source:

https://fossbytes.com/microsoft-open-source-company-windows-office-free/

Windows doesn't publish its source, ...

I must have missed the news when Microsoft open-sourced Windows. :rolleyes:

Ummm hello did I miss a news flash that Windows became Open Source free market, when did that happen???
References please.
I guess you have never sat down to figure out Microsoft license key's and seat pricing before?
So much for your free market.

Yes I choose to run Mac OS thanks.
I actually have 2 desktops Mac OS for all productivity tasks and windows for gaming. Best of both.

:laughing3: LOL:lmao: :pottytrain2:

Just having a holiday laugh and pulling out a few of the many entertaining GTAM emojis. :)

Great info in this thread too. :read2: :downtown:

Last edited:
I saw your earlier response before you edited it. And then I guess you actually read the article.

I saw your earlier response before you edited it. And then I guess you actually read the article.
Actually, it was a grammar fix. A great example of why grammar matters.

I certainly initially posted an open-ended statement since I wasn't able to find a sarcasm emoji on GTAM that I thought existed.

Last edited:
I miss my grammar, she passed away years ago #grammarsmatter

Spelling matters.

images

a0xJKJR.png

I have a question for those who feel that Apple was acting nefariously and not in users best interest with that particular update change. If the intent was to slow the devices down and promote sales of new devices, then why was it only applied to specific models?
From what I read model 5 and 5S updates did not include such a change!

bump

Ummm hello did I miss a news flash that Windows became Open Source free market, when did that happen???
References please.
I guess you have never sat down to figure out Microsoft license key's and seat pricing before?
So much for your free market.

Yes I choose to run Mac OS thanks.
I actually have 2 desktops Mac OS for all productivity tasks and windows for gaming. Best of both.

Well I can see you're all upset because your favorite phone company has been ripping you off and you're now blaming Microsoft, Android users for telling you. Don't try and tell me you think the PC is a closed source platform. Microsoft doesn't own the hardware. They don't offer up their own source code so you can alter Windows carte blanche (after all it's their software), but you can write software for the PC because the protocols are already known. That's why Linux exists. Microsoft has a developer package, like Apple, but there are far fewer strings attached. Microsoft can't go completely closed source or developers will abandon them (like they did with Apple for years). I'm not going to defend Microsoft, I'm not a huge fan and they're notorious for trying to turn the PC into a Mac and for stealing other software, putting innovative developers out of business. But they're no Apple. Apple rules it all and charges a premium for it. I won't pay that premium to either Apple or Microsoft. If you have an Android you have Linux, which is completely open source and works on a PC or an Android phone, try and do that with anything Apple, LOL. And it won't take much to put a Google Linux based OS onto the PC to replace Windows.

"
Check your model
The affected iPhones are the iPhone 6, iPhone 6S, iPhone SE, and more recently the iPhone 7. If you’ve got an older phone that is playing up, the cause is likely somewhere else.

Check your software

Apple instituted its software fix with iOS 10.2.1 for the iPhone 6, iPhone 6S, and iPhone SE. It introduced it with iOS 11.2 for the iPhone 7. You can check your current software build by going to Settings–>General–>About and look under Version.
"
quote reference: http://bgr.com/2017/12/21/apple-slowing-old-iphones-how-to-tell/ - dated December 21st, 2017

So no Martha: Apple did NOT intentionally slow your devices down to promote the sale of their new hardware and the only users affected are those who elected to apply the newer OS to their old hardware.

Another example of mis-directed rage.
The bodge update is a good thing. The battery doesn't spike voltage and take out your phone.
How is that NOT a good thing.

The fact that Apple has to install the update because YOU CANNOT REPLACE THE BATTERY <--- There is a good cause for Apple rage.
Come on Apple. I know, you know, we all know the battery is gonna die.
The non-replaceable battery was the planned obsolescence. (Yes I know you CAN replace a battery in a iPhone, but is beyond the scope of the majority of it's users. My Samsung phone you peel off the back and slap a new battery in, no soldering).

...oh and Roadghost; You should quit now. You don't know as much as you think you do. Windows is NOT open source. The PC hardware platform is "sorta" open source. Modern Apple use a PC platform, just like everybody else.
You should really learn what "open source" means. Look into GNU.
... and just so you know; Microsoft coded most of Apple OS (and used a bunch of open source code, and got sued for copy write infringement and had to remove it).
... and Microsoft's open source "Office" is a response to the fact that Open Office (or LibreOffice or what ever they are calling it this week) is now the leader in "office" suites and Microsoft was losing financially as Office was their biggest seller behind their OSs.
Microsoft will never sell anything that is truly open source. If they did we could see how really terrible the product actually is.

Last edited:
From day one, the operating system of NeXTSTEP was built on Mach & BSD UNIX

BSD - Berkeley Software Distribution was a Unix operating system derivative developed and distributed by the Computer Systems Research Group of the University of California, Berkeley, from 1977 to 1995

Mach -
is an operating system kernel developed at Carnegie Mellon University to support operating system research, primarily distributed and parallel computing. Mach is often mentioned as one of the earliest examples of a microkernel. However, not all versions of Mach are microkernels. Mach's derivatives are the basis of the modern operating system kernels in GNU Hurd and Apple's operating systems macOS, iOS, tvOS, and watchOS.

... Microsoft did Not create either of those! and MS absolutely did not create the NeXTSTEP OS.

The worlds first ever internet server Was a NeXT computer.
first-server.jpg

... and except for the CRT monitor I bet it is still operational today.

I'm not going to defend Microsoft, I'm not a huge fan and they're notorious for trying to turn the PC into a Mac and for stealing other software, putting innovative developers out of business.

They tried to pull that on Ed Russell out of Niagara. Lawyers were unleashed. He now has his own airfield and a fleet of planes which include a Mk II Spitfire and the only airworthy ME-109 in existence.

1096.jpg

The affected iPhones are the iPhone 6, iPhone 6S, iPhone SE, and more recently the iPhone 7. If you’ve got an older phone that is playing up, the cause is likely somewhere else

The iPhone 7 is a curios addition to the list, but most of those other phones are at least 2 years old.

There's an argument to be made that the reasoning behind this was anything BUT nefarious - they want the phones to actually continue to work.

One only need to search for "android random reboot" (the very issue that this Apple update is designed to avoid on iPhones) to see that this is a very common issue on Androids as well. I bet if 100 people with 2+ year old Android phones were offered an update that would stop their phone from randomly crashing and rebooting 2 or 3 times a day at the expense of some performance, 95 out of 100 would take it.

The issue here, which I admit was a bit sneaky and surely has contributed to why many are ****** off, is that they were not given an option, nor was Apple clear about their motivations.

But, when push comes to shove in court, my money is on this getting thrown out, especially when Apple makes the argument that they're just trying to extend the lifespan of their 3+ year old handsets, when in comparison a good portion of Android handsets are reaching (or have reached) end of life already.

Here's an interesting read on that topic here from a company that knows what they're talking about as their whole business model is based around the used cellphone market:

https://www.getorchard.com/blog/iphone-vs-android/

The fact that Apple has to install the update because YOU CANNOT REPLACE THE BATTERY <--- There is a good cause for Apple rage.
Come on Apple. I know, you know, we all know the battery is gonna die.

Just to play devils advocate, a whole lot of Android handsets are the exact same now.

Do I think it's a great idea? No. Especially as someone who's had to have a few iPhone batteries replaced over the years, but reality is that the much vaunted "user replaceable" Android models often have batteries that cost as much as what one can get a battery on a non-user-servicable phone (Both Android and iPhone, before anyone jumps on it) replaced at a decent cellphone repair place. I owned an LG V20 for a period of time with a user replaceable battery, and it was about $30 for it assuming you were not buying some dodgy chinese garbage. I had the battery replaced on my iPhone 5 a few years back for $40, sold it to someone, and I'm pretty sure it's still going.

(Not sure why but the forum wouldn't let me post this with both quotes in a single response...500 Server Error....)

Back
Top Bottom