Apple, the new VW | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Apple, the new VW

carry on, if nothing else, I love watching folks get duped by Apple propaganda....

You seem pretty good a promoting progaganda yourself.

I have a moto E andriod phone which has very similar hardware specs as my iPhone 5S. The moto E runs like $-hit janky, etc. and feels like it can barely run some basic apps, such as whatapp, googlemaps, map me. Yes the moto is a cheap azz phone but it is a near equivalent. And on top of it I can't get any more software updates... that's it. Why?? I am still getting updates for my 5S no problem.

So tells us how many times a week do you spend at the Apple store, Harley dealerships, and Tesla...
What are your thoughts on chemtrails and weather manipulation....
oh never mind.... lets not cloud this thread with more conspiracies and highly slanted opinions...;):p

Current Apple/Mac software formerly NeXTstep was and is based on UNIX BSD and UNIX Mach. Apple computers come with a hardware layer application called Bootcamp that bypasses much of the Apple OS and allows you to dual boot to either the Mac OS or Windows (if you care to pay the additional cost for an MS OS) and this has been the case ever since Apple started implementing Intel processors on their hardware. Additionally Apple computers support UNIX natively and bundle a shell to operate UNIX apps, and the ability to run virtually all kinds of compilers. This reality makes current Apple hardware the most versatile and Compatible hardware in existence! If there is a non-compatible platform today it certainly is Not the Apple computer.

IBM had their own implementation of a Disc Operating System called OS2 Warp as well as developing AIX Unix, IBM is not synonymous with MS Windows, they simply used MS-DOS on their very first ever personal computer distribution! IBM has subsequently implemented all kinds of different OS platforms on their hardware products and in many cases their hardware incorporated the extremely powerful Apple/IBM/Motorola produced PowerPC RISC processor.

Portability features of the NeXTstep OS which excelled at multi-tasking, memory management and provided a rich object-oriented development library is what made it so easy for Apple to rapidly produce a robust and stable Mobile OS and subsequently open that programming environment to Mobile App software developers, that lead to the creation of the practically unlimited software applications that you see inexpensively available today. The biggest reason Steve Jobs' software was late in gaining critical mass was because consumers simply did not (and apparently still do not) understand the technology! That and he was totally anal about only featuring His OS software on the most advanced hardware available at any given time.

Some of the relatively higher cost to the Apple OS is the result of the NeXT' utilization of display PostScript (an Adobe product) and TIFF instead of bitmaps, and PostScript technology which was originally designed to facilitate printing is what contributed to the Apple OS having fast WYSIWYG print processing and a significantly more stable user screen display. Some of the significant expense that was inherent to NeXT computers was that every one of them incorporated a very powerful for its time Intel floating point coprocessor, which was considered over-kill for people wanting an inexpensive personal computer, but made NeXT the most powerful computer of its time and excel at things like music, graphics and animation.

& btw: Apple products didn't always use Steve Jobs software, it only used it when Steve Jobs was with Apple. Apple designed software and hardware developed in the time of his absence from Apple corp was a completely different and relatively inferior product.

Last edited:
while not for everyone, there are several options for that device
to get off the bloated OEM firmware

you don't need to be a total tech geek to get into android ROMS
if you're interested, this is a good place to start:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-e/orig-development

You seem pretty good a promoting progaganda yourself.

I have a moto E andriod phone which has very similar hardware specs as my iPhone 5S. The moto E runs like $-hit janky, etc. and feels like it can barely run some basic apps, such as whatapp, googlemaps, map me. Yes the moto is a cheap azz phone but it is a near equivalent. And on top of it I can't get any more software updates... that's it. Why?? I am still getting updates for my 5S no problem.

So tells us how many times a week do you spend at the Apple store, Harley dealerships, and Tesla...
What are your thoughts on chemtrails and weather manipulation....
oh never mind.... lets not cloud this thread with more conspiracies and highly slanted opinions...;):p

You buy Apple, everything you buy for it Apple has to approve with a manufacturer and they get a cut of the cash.

My bluetooth headphones I use with my iPhone are not Apple, nor were they approved by Apple.

The wired headphones my son uses are not Apple, nor were they approved by Apple.

The charger cords on pretty much every charger in our house are from Dollarama, not Apple, nor are they approved by Apple.

The USB bricks that about half our iPhones are plugged into from a variety of different manufacturers, only some of them by Apple (because hey, we got them with some of our devices, might as well use them). The aftermarket ones were not Approved by Apple. Hell, one of them is a Samsung charger as (gasp!) I tried Android for a while myself.

The cases on all 4 of the iPhones in our household were from various non Apple stores.

About the only thing that may actually carry Apples "approval" so far as any sort of certification are higher end direct-connection audio equipment like docks that connect to amplifiers, etc...and even then you only need to go as far as your local WalMart to find out that no certification or special arrangements are needed to make devices that connect straight to iPhones.

And before you rush on to claim the same about Mac computers, yes...we have a few of those as well - got tired of the disaster that is Windows many years ago and never looked back. There's not much proprietary aside from the core hardware there either. Don't like Apple mice or keyboards? Don't use them, plug any USB mouse or keyboard in and it'll work just fine. Want an external hard drive? Go buy any USB drive from any computer store, format it, and use it. Apple is one of the early adopters of USB-C as well which makes things even less proprietary once again.

So, yeah, try again with the false preconceived ideas.

My bluetooth headphones I use with my iPhone are not Apple, nor were they approved by Apple.

The wired headphones my son uses are not Apple, nor were they approved by Apple.

The charger cords on pretty much every charger in our house are from Dollarama, not Apple, nor are they approved by Apple.

The USB bricks that about half our iPhones are plugged into from a variety of different manufacturers, only some of them by Apple (because hey, we got them with some of our devices, might as well use them). The aftermarket ones were not Approved by Apple. Hell, one of them is a Samsung charger as (gasp!) I tried Android for a while myself.

The cases on all 4 of the iPhones in our household were from various non Apple stores.

About the only thing that may actually carry Apples "approval" so far as any sort of certification are higher end direct-connection audio equipment like docks that connect to amplifiers, etc...and even then you only need to go as far as your local WalMart to find out that no certification or special arrangements are needed to make devices that connect straight to iPhones.

And before you rush on to claim the same about Mac computers, yes...we have a few of those as well - got tired of the disaster that is Windows many years ago and never looked back. There's not much proprietary aside from the core hardware there either. Don't like Apple mice or keyboards? Don't use them, plug any USB mouse or keyboard in and it'll work just fine. Want an external hard drive? Go buy any USB drive from any computer store, format it, and use it. Apple is one of the early adopters of USB-C as well which makes things even less proprietary once again.

So, yeah, try again with the false preconceived ideas.

I'm talking about software. If you love your Apple, that's great. Perhaps for you there are no drawbacks. I'm really not interested in arguing about something I don't care about.

I'm talking about software.

Common argument, and still not true - I've only ever bought one app for my macs through the official channels - all others (that I've actually had to pay for) I bought entirely outside the Apple ecosystem. And heck, 99% of the apps I use on a daily basis are free.

Nothing requires Apples blessings for software either, nor do they make a penny from apps sold outside their AppStore ecosystem, I'm not sure where you got that impression.

And lastly, most Windows apps have OSX equivalents that are every bit as good, often better.

And if I need Windows for something out of sheer desperation, I can dual boot into it. Heck, there's software out there that'll let me run Windows apps right inside OSX for that matter if I want.

I've heard all your tired old arguments hundreds of times. They are not factual, often rooted in propaganda spread by the big anti-apple blowhards that really don't know WTF they're talking about to begin with, they just think Apple sucks, therefore their entire ecosystem sucks.

Lastly, I'm no Apple fanboy nor apologist. Lots of things they do piss me off, and I question their choices and motives as a company every now and then. I even became an Android user for a while because of it all...but I found the fragmentation, lack of support, and other things sucked in comparison to iOS, so I came back.

I'm no tech neophyte either, I've used a lot of OS's and mobile devices over the years ranging from the acoustic coupler age up to present day server hardware, and Apple is what I've settled on because it fits my needs and causes me the least frustration in the grand scheme of things. Their old motto "it just works" still holds true.

I'm talking about software. If you love your Apple, that's great. Perhaps for you there are no drawbacks. I'm really not interested in arguing about something I don't care about.

Windows 10 is a huge drawback. What a disaster it is. Slowly it is reverting back to desktop form.
end arguement.

while not for everyone, there are several options for that device
to get off the bloated OEM firmware

you don't need to be a total tech geek to get into android ROMS
if you're interested, this is a good place to start:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-e/orig-development

Thanks for the tip.
For my use case the phone is fine how it is.
But it should be able to out of the box get the updates without hack fixes.

Windows 10 is a huge drawback. What a disaster it is. Slowly it is reverting back to desktop form.
end arguement.

Yes, but the point is if you don't like Windows you can use any of the several versions of Linux OS (which includes Google). Also, anyone can write software for Windows because it is open source. If you're a gamer there is no other platform worth using. Not so with Apple, you're stuck with whatever they give you. I'm really not interested in any brand loyalty arguments here. I'm well aware there are a lot of trendy fanbois who love Apple no matter how crappy it is. There are benefits to both platforms, I just prefer the free-market of the PC over one controlled by one corporation.

Common argument, and still not true - I've only ever bought one app for my macs through the official channels - all others (that I've actually had to pay for) I bought entirely outside the Apple ecosystem. And heck, 99% of the apps I use on a daily basis are free.

Nothing requires Apples blessings for software either, nor do they make a penny from apps sold outside their AppStore ecosystem, I'm not sure where you got that impression.

And lastly, most Windows apps have OSX equivalents that are every bit as good, often better.

And if I need Windows for something out of sheer desperation, I can dual boot into it. Heck, there's software out there that'll let me run Windows apps right inside OSX for that matter if I want.

I've heard all your tired old arguments hundreds of times. They are not factual, often rooted in propaganda spread by the big anti-apple blowhards that really don't know WTF they're talking about to begin with, they just think Apple sucks, therefore their entire ecosystem sucks.

Lastly, I'm no Apple fanboy nor apologist. Lots of things they do piss me off, and I question their choices and motives as a company every now and then. I even became an Android user for a while because of it all...but I found the fragmentation, lack of support, and other things sucked in comparison to iOS, so I came back.

I'm no tech neophyte either, I've used a lot of OS's and mobile devices over the years ranging from the acoustic coupler age up to present day server hardware, and Apple is what I've settled on because it fits my needs and causes me the least frustration in the grand scheme of things. Their old motto "it just works" still holds true.

You can't be living in the real world. You're acting as though this is something I'm just making up. Are you a software writer? No fanboi? You just got indignant over an article about Apple ripping people off, then reeled off two useless paragraphs defending your favorite brand. Lose the illusion. I've used Apple and it's a good computer, but I prefer the variety and flexibility I get with Windows and the lower non-proprietary prices. If you like what you have keep using it, but don't cry when your phone slows to a crawl because they're screwing you over.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/apple-becomes-more-closed-with-each-new-device/

http://business.financialpost.com/t...evices-without-qualcomm-suppliers-shares-fall

http://ultimatemac.com/case-for-case-against-proprietary-apple-accessories/

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-Apple-so-proprietary-about-everything

https://electronics.howstuffworks.com/tech-myths/5-myths-about-apple5.htm

... anyone can write software for Windows because it is open source ...

Windows doesn't publish its source, it's not open source and you can't buy the MS compiler off the shelf.

anyone can write software for Windows because it is open source..

I must have missed the news when Microsoft open-sourced Windows. :rolleyes:

I'm an Android fanboi because I love my freedom! I don't want apple dictating what I can do or cannot do.

Thanks for the tip.
For my use case the phone is fine how it is.
But it should be able to out of the box get the updates without hack fixes.

the moto E was a budget smart phone
when released in '14 they were $230 or free on a contract

unusual that it would never receive an update
as it was a kitkat phone at that time
should have the power to run lollipop ok

but comparing an entry level android to a flagship iphone
is apples to oranges

and it illustrates one of the good things about android
you can get many different levels of performance
depending on your budget

and putting a different OS on it, is not hacking

Yes, but the point is if you don't like Windows you can use any of the several versions of Linux OS (which includes Google). Also, anyone can write software for Windows because it is open source. If you're a gamer there is no other platform worth using. Not so with Apple, you're stuck with whatever they give you. I'm really not interested in any brand loyalty arguments here. I'm well aware there are a lot of trendy fanbois who love Apple no matter how crappy it is. There are benefits to both platforms, I just prefer the free-market of the PC over one controlled by one corporation.

Ummm hello did I miss a news flash that Windows became Open Source free market, when did that happen???
References please.
I guess you have never sat down to figure out Microsoft license key's and seat pricing before?
So much for your free market.

Yes I choose to run Mac OS thanks.
I actually have 2 desktops Mac OS for all productivity tasks and windows for gaming. Best of both.

Last edited:
the moto E was a budget smart phone
when released in '14 they were $230 or free on a contract

unusual that it would never receive an update
as it was a kitkat phone at that time
should have the power to run lollipop ok

but comparing an entry level android to a flagship iphone
is apples to oranges

and it illustrates one of the good things about android
you can get many different levels of performance
depending on your budget

and putting a different OS on it, is not hacking

I bought the phone unlocked for $120 so I am not really complaining. I basically use if for a hotspot and a travel phone. It sucks at the second part. I compared them because they have similar hardware specs, perceived status had nothing to do with it.

Apple has tones of offerings now with 8 models to choose from and the fastest performing phones on the market.

If you can't upgrade the OS through normal channels, by pressing update, and basically have to do some workaround, it's a hack.

different way of thinking

for many millions of android owners
getting an OS from the internet and installing it yourself
is the normal channel

waiting for the OEM to update your phone for you
then accepting that they are intentionally slowing it down
is not a channel I wish to tune into

the difference is, it's my device
to use as I see fit
fix it or frig it, my choice

people don't actually own iPhones
apple just lets you use it

I have a question for those who feel that Apple was acting nefariously and not in users best interest with that particular update change. If the intent was to slow the devices down and promote sales of new devices, then why was it only applied to specific models?
From what I read model 5 and 5S updates did not include such a change!

Back
Top Bottom