Canada bread price fixing | GTAMotorcycle.com

Canada bread price fixing

First reaction was "huh?" and second was something about France that I can't remember the details of

No wonder (no pub intended) bread seems expensive. I didn't read the full article, so I am curious what the real pricing should be or have they manipulated the market enough now we are f-d anyway.

I think they were putting the price up when oil prices rose...and right before long weekends

well....... a $25 gift card is better than a kick in the sack, but really, a decade of price fixing, $25?? its potentially more than they would have paid out in fines and public backlash. But the application form will be such a pain half the people wont bother

The Westons didnt get stinky rich by being dumdums.

Last edited:
What about gas? Are they going to burst them too?

What about gas? Are they going to burst them too?

Never! Too much damn tax revenues in that for the Gov't to do anything about.

No wonder (no pub intended) bread seems expensive. I didn't read the full article, so I am curious what the real pricing should be or have they manipulated the market enough now we are f-d anyway.
The price fixing is said to have stopped in 2015, when it was discovered. The price we pay now is supposedly the real price. The difference was probably nickles or dimes, not enough that we'd notice but enough to make them stinking heaps of unearned money.

what a joke, everything is fixed,

cell phone plans, milk, drugs, gas, and on an on....

I read articles last week where it was suggested this was all "good faith" and accepting the card would not necessarily prevent you from participating in future class actions against them... BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ, WRONG:

"In exchange for this twenty-five (25) Canadian Dollar Loblaw Card you hereby release and forever discharge Loblaw (“Loblaw” includes Loblaw Companies Limited, its parent corporation George Weston Limited and their affiliates as well as all of their current and former officers, directors, and employees) from any and all claims or causes of action (of whatever nature or kind) for damages, costs or other relief that you may have relating to or otherwise in connection with any overcharge on the price of packaged bread in the period between January 1, 2002 and March 1, 2015, to the extent of twenty-five dollars."

(from https://www.loblawcard.ca/en/register )

I read articles last week where it was suggested this was all "good faith" and accepting the card would not necessarily prevent you from participating in future class actions against them... BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ, WRONG:

(from https://www.loblawcard.ca/en/register )

Wth. Cbc article references the same site and presents a much different interpretation. Did the site change or do they have conflicting sections?

"Agreeing to this release will not impact your right to participate in any class actions relating to an overcharge on the price of packaged bread," the fine print reads.

"However, doing so will mean that twenty-five (25) dollars will be deducted from any compensation that you may otherwise be entitled to receive in any class action judgment against, or settlement with, Loblaw relating to any overcharge on the price of packaged bread in the period between January 1, 2002 and March 1, 2015."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/loblaws-gift-card-1.4477357

Thanks for that! I guess I didn't read carefully enough because you're absolutely right:

[h=3]E. RELEASE[/h][FONT=&quot][h=4]Please review the Release carefully.[/h][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
As you may be aware, proposed class actions relating to an overcharge on the price of packaged bread have been commenced. The proposed class actions have not yet been certified by the courts as class actions. If you wish, you may contact one of the intended class action law firms (click here for firm information).
In exchange for this twenty-five (25) Canadian Dollar Loblaw Card you hereby release and forever discharge Loblaw (“Loblaw” includes Loblaw Companies Limited, its parent corporation George Weston Limited and their affiliates as well as all of their current and former officers, directors, and employees) from any and all claims or causes of action (of whatever nature or kind) for damages, costs or other relief that you may have relating to or otherwise in connection with any overcharge on the price of packaged bread in the period between January 1, 2002 and March 1, 2015, to the extent of twenty-five dollars.
Agreeing to this release will not impact your right to participate in any class actions relating to an overcharge on the price of packaged bread. However, doing so will mean that twenty-five (25) dollars will be deducted from any compensation that you may otherwise be entitled to receive in any class action judgment against, or settlement with, Loblaw relating to any overcharge on the price of packaged bread in the period between January 1, 2002 and March 1, 2015.
You may wish to obtain independent legal advice, including by contacting one of the intended class action firms, before checking the box in Section F below, and submitting this Registration Form.
[/FONT]

Back
Top Bottom