Wood Stove | GTAMotorcycle.com

Wood Stove

RockerGuy

Banned
Site Supporter
I have a shed I recently built. I was thinking of putting a wood stove there in the winter.

Are there legal ramifications? This is in Markham.

Cheers

i had a small barn type structure on my property in Brooklin. We could not get home insurance until we got rid of it.Insurance company even wanted to know if we had a dog and what kind.my wife said "Yes we do, its a German Shepherd.That's good for security ,right?" WRONG! German Shepherds bite people and people sue.Now we have no woodstove in our barn and pay a higher premium because we have a German Shepherd.Crazy

i had a small barn type structure on my property in Brooklin. We could not get home insurance until we got rid of it.

This and I live in markham.

Some municipalities ban wood burning appliances because of their effect on air quality. Not sure if Markham has implemented this brilliant idea or not. :/

Oh boy, what a sad world we live in. Wood is a renewable energy source.

If you told them you need it to heat your igloo and for basic cooking I'm pretty sure they can't say no to that ;)

Seems to me they can't put a tax on wood burning so they want to ban it. Everybody burn NG so they can milk the consumer.

They sell firewood for open fires in the Glen Rouge campground at 7450 Kingston Rd, Scarborough and I have friends with a fireplace on Whites road which is even closer towards downtown, so it must not be a significant law or insurance issue in Scarborough ymmv.

To the best of my knowledge; firewood is HST taxable unless you cut it yourself on your own property, or collect free cutoff scraps from some woodworking type business, or possibly cut up and burn old wooden pallets. Everything related to cutting, transporting and the initial fireplace installation is also taxed so you don't need to feel too badly for the tax collector.

As others have mentioned, open fires (wood or charcoal) are permitted for 'cooking purposes'.
Just leave a bag of marshmallows handy, and you'll be fine.
Don't forget to keep a bucket of sand and/or a fire extinguisher handy just in case 'things go wrong'.

Back
Top Bottom