Givi V47 Or V56 Top Case | GTAMotorcycle.com

Givi V47 Or V56 Top Case

AllistonGT

I ride a Yamaha FJR. Can't decide which case to get. Don't really need the extra 9l of storage but may be nice to have if the need arises. Also the look of such a large case hanging off the back of the bike. Wondering if wind hitting a larger case will negatively effect stability.
Anyone here have experiance with either or even better both of these cases please share your thoughts.

I have the Kappa 48l box and it looks really wide on a motorcycle, if you have side cases it won't look as bad. The 56l box is pretty much the same width. (there is a little more space in height) Wind resistance will increase either way.

It really all depends on what you are planning to do with these boxes, I only use mine if I am going on vacation. Otherwise I use a smaller 33l box which is perfect to fit your helmet and some smaller items.

Have a top box (46L) on my VFR and had a (36L) on my Blackbird. Honestly never really noticed the impact in the wind unless with a real strong side wind. I only use the top box on trips and your FJR will look fine with the big one!
You can never have too much space for packing for trips....everything in my top box stays on the bike at night...rain gear, extra gloves, maps, small air compressor, etc

Last edited:
if you don't need the space
smaller one be better

but that's just personal preference
the rear case hanging off the back of a sporty bike looks awful IMO

if the panniers aren't big enough for my stuff on a long trip
I just use a tail bag, but I never ride 2 up, so that's an option for me

I would definitely go for the smaller size when you already have panniers. I keep one of those water proof roll up duffle bags (25L ???) that take up no space and a bungie net in the top case. Can always strap extra stuff to the front the top case/on the pillion seat when you need to. Anything under 4-5 days and a tail or tank bag would do (along with the panniers) for the stuff you want to bring into restaurants etc. or have quick access to. Congrats on the '17 FJR ES!!! Beautiful bike!

I use the V47 case. I use it as my everyday case because I would prefer to ride with no side cases where possible. For longer trips I will add in 41L side cases, or even skip the side cases and just strap a 50L dry sack onto my passenger seat.

The V47 is plenty big for longer trips or everyday use and would look well proportioned on your bike. Never once have I wished I had a larger top case.

I would tend to get the bigger ones. Most of the time, the bags won't be on the bike, but when you need them, you will most likely need as much space as you can get.

I have a smaller E-33 Givi top case on my ST and often wish I had a larger one. Mine is just big enough to fit my helmet, which is the main reason I bought it; however, it would be nice to have a little more space when touring. The side bags only come off my bike for rear wheel service, because I think it looks better with them on the bike. The top case also remains on the bike at all times and only comes off during winter storage.

I've never felt any adverse effects caused by the cases while riding. I'm sure the FJR would be rock solid with any size top case mounted.

Last edited:
I'm with the "go big" crowd. I have the 52l Maxia and when I got it intended to have it on the bike only on trips not day-to-day, but now I just leave it on all the time. I try to pack heavier stuff in the saddlebags and relatively light stuff in the trunk.

I have a friend with an FJR and the 55L Maxia, looks good and he has it on all the time as well.

I have an E52 on my ST. It is big enough to fit 2 full face helmets which is awesome. Now that I have my Scala Rider communicators on them, I can no longer fit 2 full helmets. Personally, I would go with a bit of a bigger box now if I were to re-purchase.

To be honest, when I first bought the bike I told myself that I would only put the top box on when I needed it.
Well, I never take it off anymore so I guess I need it all the time.

Thanks for all the comments. Think I'm leaning towards the V47. My previous bike (Harley Fat Bob) had no storage so I'm already feeling like I have lots with just the side cases. Top case is as much for a pillion backrest as it is for storage. Guess in the future if I feel I need more I will address it then.

I have a V47 on my '16 FJR...
It's just about the right size...

25f6khz.jpg

Thanks for posting the pic. Looks good (proportional). Did you do the LED kit?

No... I didn't install the LED kit.
'Just too lazy...
The LED runnin/brake light on the bike are bright enough IMHO.
I like the new Hey's Moto Line 28 litre top case
99dedefe8c48f98f7b1402f0b50d203a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

I have a 46L Givi box that I have taken from my Bandit 600 and put on my ST1300 and am very happy with the size of it. It looks proportional. I would think the 58L box would be a little big looking, even on an FJR. Also remember that the racks are only rated for so much weight. The larger the box the higher the chances of you over loading the box. I know they are probably rated for about half of their actual limit but it's still food for thought. I've weighed my box fully loaded a few times and been surprised at how much weight was actually in there!

I wouldn't recommend going smaller though. You'll never look at your half full top box and regret the extra space, but you will look at an over flowing 30+L box wish you had more space!

I'm with the "go big" crowd. I have the 52l Maxia and when I got it intended to have it on the bike only on trips not day-to-day, but now I just leave it on all the time. I try to pack heavier stuff in the saddlebags and relatively light stuff in the trunk.

I have a friend with an FJR and the 55L Maxia, looks good and he has it on all the time as well.

Same here with the Maxia. It's good for light, bulky items. It's not exactly sexy, but they you realize it's about riding more, not a fashion show. Motorcycles are such variable shapes that it's hard to make luggage look good, even if factory. Street Glides are only ones that work for me.

I've found myself using my top box for lighter gear I might need to access easily/quickly when on longer trips.
I hate tank bags so my top case is where I keep things like rain gear, extra gloves, maps, water/snacks, fleshlight etc...
During stops I stow my helmet in my top case...

I have 46L Givi on my 2013 FJR and i love it. I even painted the top part to match the bike. i have two problems with it, my xxl shoei helmet is to big for it and around 60km/h i have a little bit of vibration in the front.
fjr back.jpg

Back
Top Bottom