Emission Test Loop | GTAMotorcycle.com

Emission Test Loop

black_CG2

Hello, GTAM fam!...that actually rhymes :D

Is there a loop in Ontario Drive Test? I bought my 2004 mustang in 2016, got e-test and registered for one year. Now in 2017, I had an option either to renew for one or two years. They did not mention about getting e-test. I renewed the plate for two years as I have done this exact thing in the past with my past vehicle. Basically, avoid an emission test and save 40 bucks.

I have read somewhere something to do with even/odd models being required to test in odd/even years. Could someone wise explain what the author means in the article below?

https://www.wheels.ca/news/avoid-an-unnecessary-emissions-test-heres-how/

Thank you and happy Friday!

My experience IIRC is that you have to submit your emission test pass code when applying for the 2 year sticker. If you did your emission test last year you will only be eligible for a 1 year sticker.

My past renewals have had the red dot (for e-test) on the 2nd year if applicable.

This loophole appears to only apply to the first sticker renewal after transfer of a vehicle more than 7 years old. Although that is not an infrequent occurrence, it does not apply to the vast majority of plate renewals.

I once owned a pickup truck that fell into some weird loop in the Drive Clean system that didn't require me to get an e-test for 8 of the 10 years I owned it.
whistling.gif

FWIW I went to get my Magnum E-tested yesterday in preparation to sell it (new owner had asked for the peace of mind that it was healthy) and it was free, as per the new rules. I guess I just squeaked in under the free guidelines as my sticker doesn't actually expire until March, so I guess if you get it done outside the expected time window they still charge for it.

Soon, with 2 EV's in the driveway that are exempt from the Drive Clean system, the program will be history for us.

E-test is not "free"...the plate sticker price has gone up to compensate. Recently had both done. In your example you got it being between the changes.

IIRC the Drive Clean certificate is good for a year. Is it possible that the Drive Clean test that you had done sometime in 2016 was still valid on your license renewal date in 2017?

E-test is not "free"...the plate sticker price has gone up to compensate. Recently had both done. In your example you got it being between the changes.

Yup

Back
Top Bottom