Smart Thermostat | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Smart Thermostat

^^^

thats a stonkin deal, surprised nobody has scooped it up yet.

having said that, they do offer a 30 day money back return? I take it you are past the 30 days?

Like you, I'm getting my dad a Nest b/c my house experience was good. I'll setup and program it for him. The advantage with the Nest is the simple user interface for temperature adjustments. Just turn the big outside ring to change the temp. Don't have to mess with touch screen and menus.

I was in hvac for nearly 20 years. I can't tell you how many service calls I had to bill for simply because someone elderly had touched the thermostat and buggered the program. I wouldn't recommend this tech for anyone who can't understand it, more trouble than its worth.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

I was in hvac for nearly 20 years. I can't tell you how many service calls I had to bill for simply because someone elderly had touched the thermostat and buggered the program.

I can see how that'd happen. My mother for example would have probably been slow to adjust to something like the Ecobee/Nest, but she always tried...but yeah, if something got unexpectedly changed it could be a problem.

That said, there ARE lockdowns that can be put in place on the Ecobee where you can lockout things with a password, so you can prevent unintended changes or whatnot, while leaving basic functionality (temp up/down) accessible. That could be an option to prevent unintended things from happening.

The other thing to keep in mind if you are installing this for an older non-techy family member is that you can setup the remote access to it and then fix or adjust things from your own house (from your computer or smartphone) for them - no home visit necessary.

I can see how that'd happen. My mother for example would have probably been slow to adjust to something like the Ecobee/Nest, but she always tried...but yeah, if something got unexpectedly changed it could be a problem.

That said, there ARE lockdowns that can be put in place on the Ecobee where you can lockout things with a password, so you can prevent unintended changes or whatnot, while leaving basic functionality (temp up/down) accessible. That could be an option to prevent unintended things from happening.

The other thing to keep in mind if you are installing this for an older non-techy family member is that you can setup the remote access to it and then fix or adjust things from your own house (from your computer or smartphone) for them - no home visit necessary.

Couldn’t have said it better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I registered and recently just got the confirmation for me to review the term and conditions agreement again, and I printed and read it, and it sounds like I am giving up my third born!. Not sure if anyone has taken a read but dam!.. My wife and I decided to pass ...

Just got an email from that program at 3PM this afternoon actually stating that they were moving people off the waiting list to the potential list, so might still be worth applying. If I get an application (I applied, but I can't use it as existing smart thermostat owners are excluded) I can pass it on to someone here if they want it.

After they told me they'd be doing a full inspection of the house (attic and co...) i decided to pass.

After they told me they'd be doing a full inspection of the house (attic and co...) i decided to pass.

My brother got one installed a few months back (and so did a bunch of our friends). Nobody went through an inspection. They all had to just answer some questions (survey questions like age of house etc)

They are *supposed* to do an inspection, it’s detailed at the signup stage.

It doesn’t surprise me some of the contractors are just blowing that off as they’re likely getting paid by the house, not the hour.

My daughter had motherboard issues with her furnace, after two techs were in the house, a couple times, the third said the NEST is not working well with all models of furnace and somehow messing up electronics in the furnace. I had not heard of this, however he replaced with a programmable , not smart thermo and now the third set of circuit boards are working fine.

He said there was a US class action suit, but there is a US class action for dropping a color of M&M's so.......

I have an install coming up next month. I don't think there will be an inspection.

The guy only went down to look at my furnace and to power it down for the install. The rest of the "inspection" happened in the living room. I just answered all his survey questions.

Just got the ecobee3 lite installed. I don't see a benefit in this as someone is always home.

There was no inspection just a survey.

The guy only went down to look at my furnace and to power it down for the install. The rest of the "inspection" happened in the living room. I just answered all his survey questions.
well maybe ill go for it then.

EDIT: yeah waited too long, wont happen till june now haha

Last edited:
Just got the ecobee3 lite installed. I don't see a benefit in this as someone is always home. .

Overnight setback if nothing else...and no home has someone present 24/7/365, so when the house is empty let it do it’s thing.

Overnight setback if nothing else...and no home has someone present 24/7/365, so when the house is empty let it do it’s thing.

I miss overnight setback. Babies in the house mean anytime is awake time. Happy wife, happy life. Our programmable thermostat has been at a fixed temp for years (except if we go away for a few days, then I back it off).

Back
Top Bottom