Proper method of braking? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Proper method of braking?

That being said, at that stage, I lacked an understanding of what I could use that skill for as my mind went straight to "Why don't I just put my foot down?".

Because footpegs are part of your motorcycle controls and once you take your feet off the pegs, you are either air borne, parked or stuck.
... oops, I should have added or out of control.

Because footpegs are part of your motorcycle controls and once you take your feet off the pegs, you are either air borne, parked or stuck.

Tell that to the number of riders on the street that still have both their feet down through the intersection taking off from a red light. Always makes me chuckle.

To be fair, they're mostly on SuperSports :lmao:

Last edited:
Tell that to the number of riders on the street that still have both their feet down through the intersection taking off from a red light. Always makes me chuckle.

Do what I do, point and laugh.

duckcycle.gif

Or launching at race start.
Or leg wagging in to a corner.
....neither happen on the street though.

No worries, we both missed riding with a leg cast:
motorcycling-with-cast.jpg

Finesse the clutch so that you can creep forward or stop as needed using the clutch only while using little or no throttle. Engine at idle speed or barely above. It takes a fine touch.

For the vast majority of bikes which use a "wet" clutch - lubricated and cooled by engine oil circulation - slipping the clutch with the engine near idle speed will not hurt them.

If you find yourself slipping the clutch at 5000 rpm to make the bike creep along, that will do damage, and it means you need to improve your clutch and throttle dexterity and co-ordination.

It's the same with cars. I always pull off from a stop with the engine at or barely above idle speed. I've yet to have to replace a clutch before 400,000 km.

For the vast majority of bikes which use a "wet" clutch - lubricated and cooled by engine oil circulation - slipping the clutch with the engine near idle speed will not hurt them. Unless you use automotive low friction oils.

For a few years, slow race was part of the Basic Rider Training Course.

We still do it. It never went away, just gets pulled out on occasion when the need arises.

Usually used with the students that have previous riding experience, and are getting restless during the clutch control move off and stop exercise. Keeps them busy, and lets them realize they have more to learn.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

We still do it. It never went away, just gets pulled out on occasion when the need arises.

Usually used with the students that have previous riding experience, and are getting restless during the clutch control move off and stop exercise. Keeps them busy, and lets them realize they have more to learn.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

It really upset them when my buddy did the course, he was unbeatable even when they started him out 2 feet from the finish line. Eventually they just pushed him over :mrgreen:

I would downshift and when I make a complete stop I would make sure to always be in either 1st gear if I'm about to take off, or chill in neutral.

BUT

Let's say I need to slow down into the left turning lane, when I have downshifted and am slowly creeping waiting for it to be clear can I ever hold in the clutch or is that bad and wears it out? thanks

sounds like you're figuring it out
don't need a course
enjoy riding

For the vast majority of bikes which use a "wet" clutch - lubricated and cooled by engine oil circulation - slipping the clutch with the engine near idle speed will not hurt them. Unless you use automotive low friction oils.

Huh, motorcycles clutches are designed to be "ridden" unlike car clutches. Otherwise they would pose a serious hazard to the rider.
[COLOR=inherit !important]

[/COLOR]

he's talking about JASO MA oil
and that riding the clutch is fine at idle using that oil
if the bike has regular car multi-grade oil in it
the clutch will die doing this

Back
Top Bottom