Random Hoses | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Random Hoses

Plugged one is a drain from the airbox. Open one is an overflow drain from the fuel tank (e.g. if you overfill the fuel tank, the excess needs to go somewhere that hopefully isn't going to land on the exhaust pipe and start a fire). There is no overflow from the battery on this bike because it uses a sealed maintenance-free battery, as do most newer bikes.

That's for a 2007 and the models different, i got a RR not the RW. When I searched it I found that link but it was different so i didn't use it. That was the thing I could never find the exact one.

Crankcase vent leads into the airbox on all modern bikes. The airbox in turn has a drain hose, but if that drain hose is draining out stuff that originally came from the crankcase vent, you've got big problems happening.

That's for a 2007 and the models different, i got a RR not the RW. When I searched it I found that link but it was different so i didn't use it. That was the thing I could never find the exact one.
The models aren't all that different. Especially if RR/RW is just the year model designation? IIRC 2007 to 2010 is the same bike.

Crankcase vent leads into the airbox on all modern bikes. The airbox in turn has a drain hose, but if that drain hose is draining out stuff that originally came from the crankcase vent, you've got big problems happening.
Not necessarily, could be just condensation and misting settling. Had lots of bikes that occasionally had to drain that or similar hose. Especially after lots of rain, etc.

Last edited:
It's a single cylinder engine, singles move a lot of air because they never have pistons traveling in the opposite direction of each other. A 'very' small amount of oil, even very clean engine oil in the form of finely atomized mist is indeed expelled via the breather vent and that collects in the bottom of the air box during normal engine operation, this happens even on a brand new 4-stroke motor. Has done so on all 3 of my Honda powered Montesa bikes since they were brand new. Would be a 'big' concern if that oil was black and burnt because that would be a sign of considerable blow-by of extremely hot combustion gasses and indicate the possibility of a damaged ring or scored barrel. Your engine runs hot enough to boil out or evaporate water moisture caused by condensation in the crankcase, so that too should, in a perfect world, be expelled via the crankcase ventilation, a less desirable alternative circumstance to that scenario would be if that water was to remain in the engine oil.

Blow-by happens in all internal combustion engines, which is why PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) was one of the first ever implemented anti-pollution control devices to become installed on automobiles. Those escaping gasses are Always rich in hydrocarbons, positive crankcase ventilation routes that material directly back into the engines intake where it is hopefully burned during the next combustion cycle. Technically PCV is a less than perfect solution to the problem as it impacts engine performance and introduces undesirable material into your engines intake.

... hope this helps some and doesn't just precipitate a huge debate.

Back
Top Bottom