Garage insulation | Page 9 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Garage insulation

What does the last digit signify? Does that mean it doesn't have an earth wire?
NMD 90(Romex) and AC90(BX) are referred to as 14/2 (14 AWG ,2 conductor plus ground), 12/2 (12 AWG,2 conductor plus ground)etc. The bare ground wire(or bonding wire) is not counted. Not to confuse things but in most other cables like extension chords , you do count the ground wire. Don’t ask me why.An SJOW 14/3 cable would be a 14 AWG ,2 conductor cable plus ground that is sun, oil and water resistant. Long story short, in house wire you don’t count the ground,it’s just there without saying.I know everyone calls it a ground wire but in most cases “bonding conductor” is the correct term.

What does the last digit signify? Does that mean it doesn't have an earth wire?

I believe he is referring to BX or shielded cable, 12 is the gauge and 2 is the number of insulated wires contained within. Current BX cable now has an additional non-insulated grounding wire of either copper or aluminum. Long ago the outer shielding was the ground wire on BX and it did indeed only contain 2 insulated wires.
Is a cheaper alternative to running Romex (plastic shielded) wire inside of conduit, which would be a requirement for household installations where water might be an issue or where the wiring is not enclosed within the walls of the structure.

... lol now everybody answered

Ok cool

-4 in my garage today.

... installations where water might be an issue or where the wiring is not enclosed within the walls of the structure.
[/I]

Water and physical protection are 2 different issues with different solutions.

BX/armored cable provides physical protection. Not rated for wet.

There are rated cables for use in wet locations. These may or may not included physical protection. NMW, Teck cable, etc.

Is a cheaper alternative to running Romex (plastic shielded) wire inside of conduit, which would be a requirement for household installations where water might be an issue or where the wiring is not enclosed within the walls of the structure.

Be careful with conduit and romex. In a number of situations conduit is considered a wet location and romex cannot be used in a wet location. Basically conduit is not rated to protect the wire from water, if the outside of the conduit may be exposed to water, romex is a no-go. Consult code or an electrician for all the gory details.

Water and physical protection are 2 different issues with different solutions.
BX/armored cable provides physical protection. Not rated for wet.
There are rated cables for use in wet locations. These may or may not included physical protection. NMW, Teck cable, etc.
&
Be careful with conduit and romex. In a number of situations conduit is considered a wet location and romex cannot be used in a wet location. Basically conduit is not rated to protect the wire from water, if the outside of the conduit may be exposed to water, romex is a no-go. Consult code or an electrician for all the gory details.

All absolutely true and all terrific advice!

& Holy to panic over mention of "wet" hydro connections, I thought we were talking about a garage outlet here! or must we expand this topic to include; the wisdom of Ground Fault circuit breakers, current leakage protection, hospital grade outlets in oxygen-rich environments and how to hard wire your submersible water pump?:I

The name says it all, NMD90(Romex) stands for non-metallic sheathed cable rated for dry locations up to 90 degrees Celsius.Anything underground would be considered a wet location,even in conduit.

Some people have detached garages and would have to go underground to get additional circuits out to it.Just sayin’

Last edited:
Some people have detached garages and would have to go underground to get additional circuits out to it.Just sayin’

That's easy, is the same thing as wiring a house with an underground feed :D

Temp in my garage right now (6:05 pm) -- thermometer is on the back wall, opposite the door, fyi
f4b5e4edbde2c19bea42f0ff9a8c2e90.jpg

Sent from the purple GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Back
Top Bottom