Garage insulation | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Garage insulation

... If you have a door into your house, open it & wait 10 minutes -- the garage will be warm enough to work. Leave it open and it will stay warm enough to work...

Oh my, I sure hope you are heating with wood.

Whoah,way too simple.It will never work.
Seriously,that will work for 99.9999...% of the time but the first thing I would do is take that pos 99 cent receptacle in your garage and replace it with a $5 commercial grade receptacle.Ive seen those cheap receptacles fail and melt the insulation on the wiring in the box behind it.Now, worst case scenario, a guy plugs in his heater(with 1500w ,circuit is pretty much maxed out),guy walks over to his table saw (on the same circuit because its the only one in the garage)to cut a piece of wood.Circuit trips, lights go out (also on same circuit)with guy leaning over table saw.Same guy trips over lawnmower in darkened garage with sliced hand trying to get back into house to call 911 and reset breaker.Believe me, this kind of stuff happens.Better to have a dedicated circuit for any heaters.

Last edited:
Valid concern; the OP's house was built in 1976, aluminum wiring was used extensively in homes built between 1969 – 1976.
I once looked at a friends house because he was thinking about adding an electrical circuit, I found sections of copper wire that went from the circuit panel to junction boxes and from there on it was all aluminum wire. Apparently somebody had tried to disguise the fact by replacing the connections to the panel with copper so that it appeared not to have any aluminum wiring, because after all, who would look past the circuit panel. Be very careful with electrical heat sources, heating is the highest consumer of electricity followed by motors and that is why forced air electric heat will make your meter spin like crazy.

Aluminum wiring is a whole other can of worms.As long as you go through the whole house and check
that ALL joints and terminations are done properly ,you can greatly reduce any potential hazards.The problem is not really the wire , it’s the joints and terminations.

Last edited:
A separate circuit for electric heat and having garage lights, and another recepticle for tools may be the best advice in this thread.

What are the implications regarding doing your own electrical work?

Well none if everything goes as it should, and no one will care.

However if something’s happens and it’s deemed due to your work you can be denied any insurance claim you might put in.

I usually do the work and then get an electrician in to approve the work, and to do the final hook up, then I at least know it’s all good, and I shouldn’t have issues down the road.

Got the grunt work done, conduit run, fishing the wire, boxes mounted where they need be, the just leave final hook up to the electrician, you can save lots of dough this way, we’ll it works for me..

Came to this thread a lil late

I was at home Depot as well looking at weather stripping

They recommended using the following

Just nail t it to the frame on the outside

Only problem is they come in white and have to be painted
241a628a1d5cfea985e740e401087427.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Complex question! Have you received training and do you know what you are doing?
If yes, then the implication is that you might save a bunch of money, if no then you might burn your house down and everybody in it.

You are legally able to do electrical work on your own house as long as you get a permit and inspection.A guy in Brooklin recently got caught wiring his basement without a permit and got a $2000 fine.You pretty much need a permit for everything except changing a light bulb.

Last edited:
...A guy in Brooklin recently got caught wiring his basement without a permit and got a $2000 fine...
What happened, neighbour smell his grow op?

What happened, neighbour smell his grow op?
ESA inspector was driving by as the homeowner was unloading a truckload of drywall and taking it into his house.ESA inspector asked to see what he was doing which they can do and saw that he had roughed in his basement without a permit.Most inspectors will give you a warning but this guy didn’t.

ESA inspector was driving by as the homeowner was unloading a truckload of drywall and taking it into his house.ESA inspector asked to see what he was doing which they can do and saw that he had roughed in his basement without a permit.Most inspectors will give you a warning but this guy didn’t.
Holy, I guess that's another benefit to living in the woods, if somebody drives by my house they are hopelessly lost, trespassing on private property and half way into one of my trials sections.

Roxul needs to be installed without any air gaps around the studs, and without compressing it like pink. If you do it, cut it precise with a bread knife. Its got to fit right.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
This.
When I used to install pipe insulation for a living, I would buy a few knives at the dollar store and dispose of them when worn out/ broken/ old.
Almost forgot, although someone mentioned that behind the builder drywall there should be insulation, when we were redoing my buddy's garage, they only insulated up to where they could reach. Or more likely, where could be seen by an inspector. The walls above the drywalled ceiling were bare.

Sent from the purple GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

What sort of insulation can I put on the back of my single car wooden garage?

My garage door looks like the one in the pic
d1ed20abd19195a8ea06d2c4649e769b.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

What sort of insulation can I put on the back of my single car wooden garage?

Most of the retrofit kits consist of thin flexible silver foil material that you glue and or staple on the inside surface of the door, looks like bubble wrap. You could probably apply half inch styrofoam sheeting to the rigid panels as long as you leave clearance for the hinges. Sealing any air gaps around the door and at the hinge goes a long way to reducing heat loss and incoming cold drafts, but it is very difficult to have a tight seal and still have the door openers work, particularly on a double width door or on doors that are facing the prevailing wind.

I can't wait to move into my new place, is 30 below outside here today and my garage is holding at a cozy 17 above. Love that in floor heating!

Well none if everything goes as it should, and no one will care.

However if something’s happens and it’s deemed due to your work you can be denied any insurance claim you might put in.

I usually do the work and then get an electrician in to approve the work, and to do the final hook up, then I at least know it’s all good, and I shouldn’t have issues down the road.

Got the grunt work done, conduit run, fishing the wire, boxes mounted where they need be, the just leave final hook up to the electrician, you can save lots of dough this way, we’ll it works for me..
Thanks, I just need to add a few outlets in my basement & garage.

I might need to run some power to the shed. Right now it's running on solar & the winter is not kind.

If your installing new receptacles in your garage it would be a good idea to run 12/2 wire and use 20 amp receptacles and breaker.Much better for running anything like 120v compressors or heaters etc.Same amount of work, the wire just costs slightly more.

What does the last digit signify? Does that mean it doesn't have an earth wire?

Back
Top Bottom