Garage insulation | Page 10 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Garage insulation

made me go look....
QBJZHYL.jpg

Anyone try that nail on insulation?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
For the garage door? My neighbour had a buddy that sells/ installs it. Before I redid my ceiling all I had was the double edge weather stripping. Did more to keep my garage warm than the insulation he used.
Not saying it is bad, but imho the drafts are worse

Sent from the purple GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

I did the weather stripping and it should make a significant difference.
The side door for my garage needs to be replaced. It's an original wood door - about 40 years old and has considerable rot at the bottom of the door. I'm not looking for fancy detailing or windows - just a simple door. The area is prone to moisture so I'm looking at steel utility doors. It has to be left hand + outswing (I have yet to take the actual door measurements).
This one seems to fit the bill: https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p....panel-left-hand-outswing-door.1000456013.html
Any advice before I waste my time and money?

Last edited:
I did the weather stripping and it should make a significant difference.
The side door for my garage needs to be replaced. It's an original wood door - about 40 years old and has considerable rot at the bottom of the door. I'm not looking for fancy detailing or windows - just a simple door. The area is prone to moisture so I'm looking at steel utility doors. It has to be left hand + outswing (I have yet to take the actual door measurements).
This one seems to fit the bill: https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p....panel-left-hand-outswing-door.1000456013.html
Any advice before I waste my time and money?

One review of that door is very unfavorable.

@shanekingsley I didn't expand the description of that door, but it doesn't look like it comes with a frame. Putting in a new door with a full frame (and then replacing the brickmold around the door) may be easier than trying to fit that door in a 40 year old frame. (out of square/ warped etc)
Someone with more experience may want to chime in here.

^^
Good point!
I'm going to go and visit a specialty windoors and doors place around the corner from me.
Pretty soon we need new windows on half the house because they are original as well.

If the bottom of the wood door is rotted, the frame will be too.

Also, take a look at your neighbours’ doors and see if someone who has changed theirs out can give you some guidance.

^^
Good point!
I'm going to go and visit a specialty windoors and doors place around the corner from me.
Pretty soon we need new windows on half the house because they are original as well.

oh oh, there goes the price of a nice new motorcycle.

^^
Good point!

My neighbour does window/door installs if you want to shop around and get pricing before you commit...we had our whole house done last year.
Let me know if you want his contact info

@shanekingsley I didn't expand the description of that door, but it doesn't look like it comes with a frame. Putting in a new door with a full frame (and then replacing the brickmold around the door) may be easier than trying to fit that door in a 40 year old frame. (out of square/ warped etc)
Someone with more experience may want to chime in here.

Its a pre hung door, comes with a frame.I installed one similar in my garage.Its a piece of cake.Just make sure every thing is square and level with a couple of shims before screwing it in and use some door and window foam around it.If I can do it anyone can.Lots of how to videos on you tube.

If you can use an in-swing door I think that they are half the price.

Depending on the garage layout, an extra hundred $ to save the 4+ sq ft may be worthwhile. Obviously whatever you put there screws up access, but it can be a handy spot for something like a snowblower that you need easy access to.

More good points! Thanks all.

My neighbour does window/door installs if you want to shop around and get pricing before you commit...we had our whole house done last year.
Let me know if you want his contact info.
Will keep in touch when the time comes. Thanks for the the offer.

Always measure diagonally as well. Sometimes the openings are not square, particularly with older homes.

Always measure diagonally as well. Sometimes the openings are not square, particularly with older homes.
Yeah , use a a couple of shims around the door. Make sure all the gaps between the the door and jams are even and the door opens and closes freely before filling around the frame with foam.Like Bubbles says... “It’s not rocket surgery”

Back
Top Bottom