Talk me out of a KLX250 | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Talk me out of a KLX250

If you're okay with 13hp, then more power to you! Or less...

All the 250cc four strokes come in ~25hp give or take 5hp between models. The DR200 is grossly underpowered for its engine size.

I spend a lot of time with my CT 90 so a 200 is "big bore" for me :D

Thanks for your input, I'm thinkin I'll try to get out on a few bikes in this class and see if the lower weight of the DR makes it worth it in my mind

Cheers!

Thanks to all that replied. Good insights and a few misconceptions... :)

Here are some thoughts..

351 kit is is available for the FI KLX, waiting to confirm on the FI Map dookikie next
Previous (Carb-Ed) bikes are reporting +20k kms on the 351 kit, so it seems much more practical than GYTR Athena kit for the WR
690 makes no sense for me.... The XChallenge is everything the 690 is plus reliability (let the flames burn, but those that are honest with themselves will recognize the 690 had a lot of teething pains), less only about 10hp, bit at 60% of the price or less... Mine is perfectly suited up, so if i were to look at a 600-class bike, i might as well find another X at that point and transplant my aftermarket goodies over...
DRZ is the same or less BHP at more weight than the Challenge... Plus CARB-ED. Some people love them, but I think there is a reason why cars went to FI 30 years ago....
BETA is exciting (and has awesome 400+ blue plate options), but proven dealer network it does not have...

....now all that said, I just called a few Kawi dealers and they all want over 7K for the KLX (after taxes and fees). That's ludicrous.

Stumped. :)

BETA is exciting (and has awesome 400+ blue plate options), but proven dealer network it does not have...

True that but they do have Dave Butler of D&J motorcycles in Utterson and he's the man I would trust for Beta sales or service.
Everything is going Fi because of emissions requirements.

& if you re-sleave an engine (which I suspect is nikasil coated) and replace that sleave with a much larger one (which I suspect is not) are you not still left with relatively undersized valves and a relatively undersized throttle body in addition to that inappropriate fuel mapping?
Is very hard to build a better Yamaha then Yamaha!

The Beta line up looks really interesting but to me those are race bikes with lights on them similar to KTM EXC's and Husky FE's. Probably not the best choice for logging 8000km a year with low maintenance intervals.

The Beta line up looks really interesting but to me those are race bikes with lights on them similar to KTM EXC's and Husky FE's. Probably not the best choice for logging 8000km a year with low maintenance intervals.

Probably correct; but you need to realize that the maintenance schedules for competition bikes is based on the assumption that you are using the machine in competition and not just for entertainment.
My 4RT manual says to replace the spark plug cap every 6 races :| I have rarely needed to replace a spark plug cap in real life. It also says replace the piston ring twice a year and the piston annually and if my name was Toni Bou I would certainly be doing that. ymmv.

I own an KLX250S set up more for dirt than street - 300cc cylinder & exhaust, Racetech forks, DOT knobbies, etc. The reason that you don't want it is that it is slow and not great on the highway (buzzy, blown around, etc.). 351 kit will cost you $1,000 before you return your cylinder and even then it will give you torque but not a lot on the top end.
Having said that, I love the bike but go for the DRZ.

I own an KLX250S set up more for dirt than street - 300cc cylinder & exhaust, Racetech forks, DOT knobbies, etc. The reason that you don't want it is that it is slow and not great on the highway (buzzy, blown around, etc.). 351 kit will cost you $1,000 before you return your cylinder and even then it will give you torque but not a lot on the top end.

That's what the thread needed, first hand experience and real numbers :thumbup:
Burlington eh, don't blow off the bridge it looks like a heck of a fall.

Amazing. Thank you. Not what I wanted to hear, but exactly what I wanted to know. :(

About the BETAs, yes not a choice either as not only they are not long-distance machines, but they don't have a dealer network. Lang's or whoever they have in Ontario isn't going to help me on the TCat in the prairies. :(

@fzrcraig if you ever have the bike out and would be OK with offering a fellow rider a quick test ride, i'd be happy to buy you a coffee or lunch. I'd love to see what the big bore kit actually feels like, if anything. PM me if you think we can work something out.

If you're just trying to make a small displacement single cylinder motorcycle go faster the formula is fairly simple: Increase horsepower, reduce rolling resistance, reduce weight and most importantly make the vehicle with a rider more Wind Slippery, then give it taller gearing to take advantage of all those afore mentioned changes. But it won't be comfortable for distance, you are going to be constantly riding in a full crouch position, wind turbulence will have its way with you, plus the chain drive and motor is going to be giving your feet, hands and bum a really good buzz numb.

Now if you want something to go huge distances in reliable one-up comfort, has crazy fast road speed and not need to carry anything more then a charge card to cross the continent :| buy yourself a shaft drive BMW sport touring motorcycle that has a wind tunnel designed full fairing, sign up for CAA plus and expect to require fairly frequent replacement rear tire changes.

And keep your bank account full for those crazy expensive BMW repairs.

And keep your bank account full for those crazy expensive BMW repairs.

Mines only a 1986 model so I haven't experienced those yet :| should I be worried?

I had an 84 R80RT for many yrs and many miles.It was hands down the best bike i have ever owned,but not the easiest to own.Dealer network sucks,and simple parts were stupid expensive.But it was great.The ergonomics are the best,and the fairing was even better.And i am comparing this with my Honda GL1800.

I had an 84 R80RT for many yrs and many miles.It was hands down the best bike i have ever owned,but not the easiest to own.Dealer network sucks,and simple parts were stupid expensive.But it was great.The ergonomics are the best,and the fairing was even better.And i am comparing this with my Honda GL1800.

What, you had trouble getting dealers to support a bike that's older than most of the mechanics in their service bay?
:)

BMW's are nice to work on because the parts all fit together properly and the bolts and screws are not made of cheese.
+ replacement batteries are cheap because they are the same size as the lawn tractor batteries that sell for about 60 bucks.
On the down side you need to dismantle half the bike just to get to the air filter, but that does give you the opportunity to get really good at it, clean all the hard to get to places and become intimately familiar with the mechanics of your ride. lol screw the service manual I have it memorized.

Does anyone know of a motorcycle that is cheap to have dealer serviced?
or better yet, Does anyone know of a motorcycle service department they trust to work on their motorcycle and still charge a low fee?
Parts that are not marked up 300%?
Commonly required parts In-stock?
I never found any of those things.

Things your dealership never wants to hear:

- wtf do you mean it's back-ordered! :/ I haven't ordered it yet!

- Does this motorcycle come with a warranty and is it worth anything?

- What to you mean my trade-in is a worthless piece of crap, I'm buying the identical model to replace it!

Sir, would you like to buy a track stand and a battery tender for your new motorcycle?
- why, does this mean you are going to charge me for the stuff that was on it before you uncrated it?
- Pre-delivery setup and inspection charge :lmao: you gotta be kidding!
You know I have bought motorcycles still in the factory crate before! How much is it going to cost to have you rip me off this time?

What, you had trouble getting dealers to support a bike that's older than most of the mechanics in their service bay?
:)

I sold the BMW in 2002.It wasn't support.I live in Waterloo and the dealers at the time were either west of London or north of Toronto.It's a bit better nowadays,but not much.Especially compared to the Honda dealer network.

Today I was at a work function and started talking to someone that does trials with you. British accent that works at CT.
I sold the BMW in 2002.It wasn't support.I live in Waterloo and the dealers at the time were either west of London or north of Toronto.It's a bit better nowadays,but not much.Especially compared to the Honda dealer network.

Amazing. Thank you. Not what I wanted to hear, but exactly what I wanted to know. :(

About the BETAs, yes not a choice either as not only they are not long-distance machines, but they don't have a dealer network. Lang's or whoever they have in Ontario isn't going to help me on the TCat in the prairies. :(

@fzrcraig if you ever have the bike out and would be OK with offering a fellow rider a quick test ride, i'd be happy to buy you a coffee or lunch. I'd love to see what the big bore kit actually feels like, if anything. PM me if you think we can work something out.
Maybe the KLX250S will inspire Suzuki to put FI in the DRZ400S, that would be a good fit for you.

Maybe the KLX250S will inspire Suzuki to put FI in the DRZ400S, that would be a good fit for you.

That and a diet would make that bike perfect. Hope they are listening. The fact that they pulled out of the Japanese enduro championship does not sound too promising though...

Back
Top Bottom