Talk me out of a KLX250 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Talk me out of a KLX250

gqelements

Site Supporter
Is anyone here riding a KLX250? I'm starting to look for my next ADV bike and the parameters are:

FI
Modest performance
Under 300lbs
Absolutely capable of extended mileage (I average about 8k/year on the dirt bike, so models with 10h service intervals are not practical)
Current-ish and relatively ubiquitous platform with ease of finding competent service
Relatively inexpensive

I love my X, but starting to wonder what I will replace it with and idea of a $14k adventure bike is simply out of the question, plus I detest orange. The new FI KLX 250 with adjustable suspension ticks all the boxes, except HP performance... which I'm not sure my ego can handle :(

I'm thinking whether I will be somewhat satisfied with it if I slap on a 351 kit. I realize that the kit will only get it slightly above WR250 HP output, but it will still beat the WR on price and have slightly more BHP... Whereas similar the kits for WR are available, the service disclaimer on Athena's piston for WR250 is 10h service life... which is ridiculous.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
+1

In that class, there are no other options that tick off your boxes.

CR250L: anemic HP & heavy
DR200S: LOL

The WR is the most expensive in that class. If FI is not a dealbreaker, then for just a little bit more money, perhaps a DRZ400? You jump up to the next level of performance. A tiny bit heavier (roughly +20lbs), but the torque bump is significant, and you can open up the performance a bit more reliably than the WR. Service intervals measured in kms, not hrs.

Only drawbacks (besides being a smidge heavier) is the 5-speed wide ratio gearbox and the WR has better dirt suspension. And carbs, of course.

Just a thought.

Don't buy a KLX, you don't need it and you already have a bike.

+1

In that class, there are no other options that tick off your boxes.

CR250L: anemic HP & heavy
DR200S: LOL

Could you elaborate on the DR200? I like the idea of a lightweight bike like OP, it was on my list.

I'm thinking whether I will be somewhat satisfied with it if I slap on a 351 kit ...

I too like the new KLX250 but I'm confused :/ you want it to be reliable, easy to service and source parts, not need frequent service & parts replacement, relatively inexpensive, but the first thing you are going to do with this 250cc motorcycle is "slap on a 351 kit" That makes zero logic imho.

Have you looked at the Beta or are they too orange for your taste in motorcycle colours?

... a buddy managed to blue plate his 430RR-S but it might not qualify as a modest performer, is more of an extreme performer:

430_RR-s.jpg

Based on your criteria I think the smart money would be spent on a used KTM 690 enduro. It comes way better equipped and I don't think 8000 plus km a year is going to be much fun on the smaller dual sports. Get white plastics or something.

If you're okay with 13hp, then more power to you! Or less...

All the 250cc four strokes come in ~25hp give or take 5hp between models. The DR200 is grossly underpowered for its engine size.

I like the crf230L more than a DR200. has a bit more power, suspension/bike is more of a good play bike than a capable all out dirt bike. No ego fun bike?

I too like the new KLX250 but I'm confused :/ you want it to be reliable, easy to service and source parts, not need frequent service & parts replacement, relatively inexpensive, but the first thing you are going to do with this 250cc motorcycle is "slap on a 351 kit" That makes zero logic imho.

Have you looked at the Beta or are they too orange for your taste in motorcycle colours?

I agree. Adding a big-bore kit isn't likely to improve reliability. The CRF 250 Rally lists at $500 more than the KLX so maybe it's a better choice.

For ultimate utility and durability the usual suggestions of DRZ400, DR650, XR650L and KLR650 can't be beat. Unfortunately none are fuel injected.

For ultimate utility and durability the usual suggestions of DRZ400, DR650, XR650L and KLR650 can't be beat. Unfortunately none are fuel injected.

Besides the DRZ400, the 650s are all pushing 350+ lbs wet (450 lbs in the case of the KLR). Not really in the 200 lb range the OP is looking for. The DRZ400 is really in that sweet spot of performance to weight.

Relatively inexpensive is relatively vague, what's your budget?
and how devastating are your current insurance rates because no matter what you buy you are wise to investigate that first.

Is anyone here riding a KLX250? I'm starting to look for my next ADV bike and the parameters are:

FI
Modest performance
Under 300lbs
Absolutely capable of extended mileage (I average about 8k/year on the dirt bike, so models with 10h service intervals are not practical)
Current-ish and relatively ubiquitous platform with ease of finding competent service
Relatively inexpensive

I love my X, but starting to wonder what I will replace it with and idea of a $14k adventure bike is simply out of the question, plus I detest orange. The new FI KLX 250 with adjustable suspension ticks all the boxes, except HP performance... which I'm not sure my ego can handle :(

I'm thinking whether I will be somewhat satisfied with it if I slap on a 351 kit. I realize that the kit will only get it slightly above WR250 HP output, but it will still beat the WR on price and have slightly more BHP... Whereas similar the kits for WR are available, the service disclaimer on Athena's piston for WR250 is 10h service life... which is ridiculous.

Thoughts?

Torque. I like torque. What does the kit do to the torque curve?

He mentioned KLX250, so I'm assuming $5500.

He also mentioned slapping a 350cc big bore kit on it and it didn't sound like he was going to be doing his own wrenching, so not only will that void any possibility of a warranty it's going to cost a good piece of change for the parts plus about a hundred bucks per hour to install and sort it all out. Price just went up.

FI
Modest performance
Under 300lbs
Relatively inexpensive

Thoughts?
I am also looking at buying the same bike, but not as my only bike. I have looked into it and I do not think the 351 kit is available for the FI version yet.(I wouldn't get it anyways)

I am not so sure it is the right bike for you, unless you are done with the long distance riding thing. I am not a KTM fan, but 690 or 701 would be my suggestion with the current selection out there.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

He also mentioned slapping a 350cc big bore kit on it and it didn't sound like he was going to be doing his own wrenching, so not only will that void any possibility of a warranty it's going to cost a good piece of change for the parts plus about a hundred bucks per hour to install and sort it all out. Price just went up.

Not to Beta 250RR at $10K levels...

Back
Top Bottom