2003 CBR600rr Engine Repair | GTAMotorcycle.com

2003 CBR600rr Engine Repair

brokecbr

So I dropped the bike while taking a right hand turn on acold morning. The fairing are scratched up with the bottom fairings breakingoff. Grinded a few screws and a bar end is missing. However the worse part isthe bike slid and hit the sidewalk breaking off the oil sight glass (not tohard to replace) and a piece to the right side of it, pictures included below.

Licking my wounds I decided to sell the bike but not gettinganything over a grand for it. At this point I just want to keep it for myselfand repair the damage to ride another day. Took it to Bartz motorcycle inMississauga and was told, the engine would need to be replaced, which isexpensive enough to make the process not worth it.

However I came across this on ebay and wondering if it willresolve my issue. Relatively cheaper then getting a used engine but not sure ifthis is the right part I need. Can anyone on here please advice on what can bedone? If this part would work, can any body recommend a good mechanic that Ican trust this rebuild with?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 59
I don't understand. The two photos you've shown are of an engine with a piece broken off of what appears to be part of the crankcase, and there is no "this" that will fix your issue. Did you mean to give a link to an ebay auction?

From the pics, looks like the mech is correct and a replacement engine is needed. How close to a grand were you being offered? If close that's about as much as you could expect. Right now I'd say it's a parts bike from what I can tell.

What used to attach on the right? Engine mount and you had a frame slider on it?

Pic of unbusted engine for reference.
engine_right_700p.jpg

EDIT: Before you spend any money, look over the whole bike carefully. If it hit the curb hard enough to break the engine casting there is a decent chance there are more problems that you haven't found yet (wheels, suspension, frame etc). The coolant reservoir (or whatever is between the headers and engine seems to have taken some damage too.

Even the bolt-on sight glass may not be as simple as it seems. The bottom bolt is quite bent, it may spin out easily or it may have pulled the threads from the case. You won't know until you pull it apart.

Last edited:
What used to attach on the right? Engine mount and you had a frame slider on it?

Pic of unbusted engine for reference.
engine_right_700p.jpg

EDIT: Before you spend any money, look over the whole bike carefully. If it hit the curb hard enough to break the engine casting there is a decent chance there are more problems that you haven't found yet (wheels, suspension, frame etc). The coolant reservoir (or whatever is between the headers and engine seems to have taken some damage too.

Even the bolt-on sight glass may not be as simple as it seems. The bottom bolt is quite bent, it may spin out easily or it may have pulled the threads from the case. You won't know until you pull it apart.

^ this.
it looks to me like the sight glass could be repaired although it may require fixing / rethreading ...
however the piece broke off forward of the sight glass - looks to once have been a coolant drain? Does anyone here think that hole/piece could be welded up? and maybe you could live without the brass drain bolt?

happy to be be looking at pics of your shattered engine instead of x-rays of a shattered femur.

Last edited:
That brass-looking plug near the base of the oil filter which is broken off along with a piece of the crankcase in the first set of pictures, is an oil gallery plug.

Theoretically a plug could be fabricated and TIG welded into place after thoroughly cleaning out the insides of the engine including disassembling and inspecting the oil pump and inspecting the internals to ensure that debris hasn't gotten into any place that it shouldn't be. If this were some sort of vintage quasi-irreplaceable engine, I'd do it. But on a run-of-the-mill and not particularly rare or valuable bike (sorry), doing this properly will cost a few multiples of what the bike is worth unless you are doing all of the work yourself.

Halfhearted repairs will just result in more trouble down the road IF you get it running at all.

If the rest of the bike is decent then get another engine, but as mentioned above, if the bike slid into a curb, check for a bent frame.

Thank you all for the quick reply and support. Definitelycould have been a lot worse but I had all my gear on except for riding jeans soscrapped my knee good.

After getting it checked out by the mechanic mentionedabove, the frame is not bent. The sight glass is just a replacement and I haveit with me just have not put it on yet. As some of you have noticed the coolantreservoir is toast. The back wheel and suspension is fine and so is the frontsuspension but the front rim is slightly bent at one point, which I have pricedto be straightened for about $150.
Everything else is cosmetic and I can take my time gettingthose things repaired/replaced. And yes there was supposed to be an ebay linkattached to my original post which is

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-Honda-CBR600RR-CBR-600-RR-CBR600-600RR-Engine-Casing-Case-Crank-Cylinder/162783709730?hash=item25e6aa4a22:g:ObMAAOSwtnpXqPuU&vxp=mtr
Not the best lighting but you can see the brass bolt side inthe first picture.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/03-06-HONDA-CBR-600rr-600-rr-ENGINE-MOTOR-CRANK-CASE-UPPER-LOWER-CASES-CYLINDERS/282709281007?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D41375%26meid%3D5a56906d45f04d4890d9a9c465710f86%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D162783709730&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Here is another one.

Assuming the internals are fine do you think these wouldwork?

Yeah, a new crankcase set will certainly work!

You realize, of course, that the engine has to come *completely* apart in order to swap everything over to the new crankcase set. It's not impossible (I just had my ZX10R apart and back together again inside of a month), it just requires tools, knowledge, a factory service manual, a decent place to work, and some time. Beware that crankshaft main bearing journals are "select-fit" so you will be buying some of those, and there are a fair number of "always replace" parts - head gasket (replacing most other gaskets is a good idea), piston rings, etc.

For that late model bike ... most people would be better off just getting another engine.

you could try and spend a lot of time, effort and money to fix this bike, or you could realize that its a poor investment and cut your losses.

my advice is to part the bike out, its a popular, in demand bike so you will be able to move parts quick, without the motor you are likely to get $2000 - $3000 from parts that are still good

Back
Top Bottom