Can the EU version full AKRA race exhaust kit work on the new NA versions of the R6? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Can the EU version full AKRA race exhaust kit work on the new NA versions of the R6?

sid_for_speed

If one was to import a full AKRA race exhaust kit and strap it on to a North American version of the R6 and add an ECU reflash, will it be good to go?

Reason why I ask is that it is not shown anywhere on Yamaha's Canadian website. But it does show it as an accessory option in its EU websites...

Are there differences between NA and EU R6s( Apart from the utter BS that we do not get the free quick shifter)?

Physically? I doubt it except for different paint/decals schemes typically and as you pointed out the QS (Same case with FZ09).

Fairly certain they have higher emission restrictions then NA, so the tune may be different.

Then I am surprised to not see the full Akra exhaust being offered here...maybe Akra and Yamaha think EU market has more demand...

First guess would be warranty issues, typically the reason a lot of products cannot be bought from the U.S. websites like Ebay, Amazon, etc and you need someone to ship it to you or setup a P.O. box. If this were true I would surmise that Yamaha has no intention of supporting warranty claims for this product in NA and the costs to ship it back to Europe...

All a guess though!

Last edited:
North American, and particularly US, and particularly California, emission regulations have more teeth. The phrase "for off-road use only" is almost meaningless and the courts will see through a situation where parts so marked were sold to someone who is registering the bike for the street and the manufacturer, or its dealers, "knew or ought to have known".

It's somewhat different when you independently buy such parts from a third party who has no way of knowing what you are going to do with them, but the vehicle's manufacturer and its dealers collectively "know, or ought to know" that the bike is being registered for the street and the parts you're buying are going on it.

H-D got in trouble a while back for its dealers selling and installing aftermarket parts (IIRC a fuel injection control module) that were not certified to comply with emission standards.

I'm aware of one parts vendor that won't sell ANYthing to any destination with a California address because of the situation there.

Parts that are certified compliant with emission and noise regulations are OK ... but that exhaust system you're buying has no catalytic converter, which means there's no chance of that happening.

Particularly in the US, and particularly in California, any dealer that installs aftermarket non-emissions-compliant parts on a vehicle with a license plate, or which came into the dealer and left under its own power (i.e. on the road), is flirting with disaster.

Back
Top Bottom