Freedom Mobile. Anyone on it? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Freedom Mobile. Anyone on it?

Ashtonator

Hey guys,

So freedom Mobile has a $60- 10GB/unlimited talk plan that's very appealing since these new smart phones are just data hungry.

im wondering if anyone here is on Freedom Mobile (recently in the last 2-3 months).

I know their coverage used o suck just a few months ago but they have updated their LTE network and im wondering what's people's experience with their new network here in the GTA in the last 2-3 months.

Thanks

If you could buy a motorcycle for half price but it only worked 30% of the time would you still get it?
I tried freedom mobile for a week, complete and utter garbage.

If you could buy a motorcycle for half price but it only worked 30% of the time would you still get it?
I tried freedom mobile for a week, complete and utter garbage.

Thanks for the feedback. When did you try it? Was it recently? And what area?

Moved my wife onto it for 2 months.
It was the absolute worst.
We live in Mississauga and spend most of our time here.
Most of the time her phone wouldn't ring to take phone calls.
A good majority of the time she was unable to make phone calls as she had no signal
Yeah, she had a tonne of data but basic phone functionality was completely unreliable for her.

We've both switched to Public Mobile. Pay-as-you-go. Service is awesome. Price is awesome. Feel free to use me as a referral when you switch over.

Been with them for years, no issue....

only time I have a problem is when I am way up north, then no signal, but who cares, I don't want to be disturbed while hunting anyways....

here in the city I have had no issues

Same here,I go out of town often but i try not to use my phone when im gone so it shouldnt be a big deal.

Moved my wife onto it for 2 months.
It was the absolute worst.
We live in Mississauga and spend most of our time here.
Most of the time her phone wouldn't ring to take phone calls.
A good majority of the time she was unable to make phone calls as she had no signal
Yeah, she had a tonne of data but basic phone functionality was completely unreliable for her.

We've both switched to Public Mobile. Pay-as-you-go. Service is awesome. Price is awesome. Feel free to use me as a referral when you switch over.

Thanks Katapult.

But when was this?

Wifey has been on it for a while.

I've had issues of calls just going to voicemail even though phone is on.

No connection when she should have connection.

Going out of the "proper area" and when coming back it takes half an hour and a few reboots to get the non-roaming connection back.

It's crap. But it somewhat works if you're looking for a cheap options.

I would never go to Freedom Mobile/WIND simply because I find myself in rural areas quite often and friends that are on that carrier seem to have reception issues out of town.

That being said, people living in and around the city have said they've never had any issues.
I recently spoke with a co-worker in Richmond BC and he said that he didn't have any issues there unless they went out of town.

Overall, sounds like a great provider if you're staying around the city, but expect to have reception issues if you head out of town.

Personally, I'd spend the extra $10-$15/mo for reliability.

Could be. I got the iphone X and my data usage has gone up considerably even though i dont do anything different than when i had my old phone.

The newer Androids tend to automatically put applications into "Sleep Mode" when they're not opened for a while.

iPhones seem to keep apps in the background and continue monitoring and sending notifications from them unless manually disabled.

Social Media apps are usually the worst when it comes to battery and data usage - some worse than others.

The newer Androids tend to automatically put applications into "Sleep Mode" when they're not opened for a while.

iPhones seem to keep apps in the background and continue monitoring and sending notifications from them unless manually disabled.

Social Media apps are usually the worst when it comes to battery and data usage - some worse than others.

Yeah i have my app refresh enabled. Could be the reason.
I go through 5GB of data in 20 days even though i have wifi both at the office and home.
Hence my need to possibly get wind which is 10GB

I've been on them for 2 yrs. I am pretty happy. I don't have a problem for what I use it for. I love the roaming option where you connect to another network.

I've been on them for 2 yrs. I am pretty happy. I don't have a problem for what I use it for. I love the roaming option where you connect to another network.

yeah and when i called them, they said with thie Big Gig plan, there is no charge for roaming either

My wife has been with then for 4+ years, and I moved myself in the fall.

First off, any opinions you hear online from people who haven't been customers in the last year (at least), if not 6 months, sorry, but IMHO, discount those opinions. The network has changed *dramatically* for the better in that period, and especially in the last 6 months or so. People that tried it 2 or 3 years ago (and are no longer customers) likely have bad memories, not exactly unjustifiably so (again, my wife went through it, but we saved about $3000+ vs what she was paying before in that period!), but it's WAY better now. Still a lot of people sharing those bad memories though, even though they don't really hold true anymore.

That said, are you going to get Big3 level of service? No. But if you're willing to put up with a little bit of growing pains to save a lot, then it's a great option so long as you understand their service footprint - they are an urban carrier. Many of their new plans do include a small complement of roaming minutes and data, but the allotments used to be bigger than they are now. But, if you spend most of your time in their service area, well, different story.

If you can go to a retail store and find an employee willing to put you on the old $50 plan that was around just before the introduction of the big-gig plans, DO IT. 8 gigs data, unlimited Talk/Text/MMS/Long Distance, 1 Gig roaming w/2400 minutes and unlimited text roaming...USA included. They're not listed anymore but rumour is they are still in their system as being available if you find someone willing.

My wife and I are both on these $50 plans and coupled with a 30% Friends and Family discount on both lines (Google it, it's a long story) our cellphone bill is $67/Month total.

What I like most is that I no longer have to care about overages anymore. If I use all my data, it still works, it just slows down. If you use a grossly excessive amount, it slows down some more...but it still works, and NO extra costs. Knowing that our bills are going to be the same, all the time, every time is worth it in my books. I was getting tired of $130-$150/Month bills with Fido so as soon as the network matured enough that it worked for me (my wifes needs were less so she was able to make do the last 4 years) I jumped ship from Fido and have never looked back.

Ultimately, I tell people to do what I did - go get a SIM and sign up for an account with a temporary number, pop in the SIM, and actually use the service for 3-4 days and see if it works for you. If it does, you can port your number from your existing carrier (the temp number will just go dead and your SIM will switch automatically) and you're golden. If not, you cancel the service, pop your old SIM back in, and you're only out a few bucks and none the worse for the experiment. Win win, IMHO.

Last edited:
Yeah i have my app refresh enabled. Could be the reason.
I go through 5GB of data in 20 days even though i have wifi both at the office and home.
Hence my need to possibly get wind which is 10GB

Reset your app data consumption counter and use the phone for a few days and you'll find the culprit quickly. On the iPhone you can disable cellular data as well as background app refresh for apps on a per-app basis, and cutting some of the more notorious data hogs back can help a lot.

Also make sure that the Appstore is set to not update apps over cellular - that alone can eat up massive amounts and some people turn it on without realizing the effects.

To add a bit to this....

As I mentioned I am with Freedom, and have been for many years, this year we were due for an upgrade, on 3 phones

so we got 2 Samsung S8+ phones and one LG phone, have unlimited everything, LTE 4G, and whatever else, all for 146.00 tax in per month

I can't complain.....

My brother in law got a phone from Freedom Mobile ... switched to another provider within a week. He said it was by far the worst service he ever experienced. I had Wind Mobile in the past ... Wind blows.

Back
Top Bottom